Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MyFitPal Premium subscription



Recommended Posts

Does anyone use the MyFitPal premium subscription? Just wondering if it's worth it to get the extra benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have the basic FitnessPal app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up getting the subscription shortly after surgery. I was all about macros during weight loss phase and the Premium version shows macro breakdown goals in grams while the free does not. There are a bunch of other features, but this was the main reason I got it (and to a lesser extent, I also appreciated the timestamp functionality in the paid version).

I'm in maintenance now and can probably go back to the free version as I don't watch my macros as diligently anymore. When my subscription year is up, I will likely cancel.

Aside: The one thing that I don't like about My Fitness Pal is that it doesn't immediately show NET carbs (i.e., Total Carbs minus Fibre and Sugar Alcohols), though simple math on my part can figure this out. But Still. Would've be nice to have it displayed automatically.

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using a free app called Loseit.

It works better on my iPhone than My FitnessPal and has lots more foods calories listed.

I highly recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the free app Baritastic, because I like how you can put in really small portions (1oz, 1TBS, etc) of your food. It does the net carbs mentioned above, tracks Water, supplements, etc. I like the recipe feature, and the barcode scanner has only NOT found one item so far (it was something sent to me from Puerto Rico). When it didn't find it, it asked me to add it by taking a photo of the front of the item and the nutrition label, and they would add it to their database in a few days. I thought that was nifty.

Plus... free :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GivinItMyALL said:

I use the free app Baritastic, because I like how you can put in really small portions (1oz, 1TBS, etc) of your food. It does the net carbs mentioned above, tracks Water, supplements, etc. I like the recipe feature, and the barcode scanner has only NOT found one item so far (it was something sent to me from Puerto Rico). When it didn't find it, it asked me to add it by taking a photo of the front of the item and the nutrition label, and they would add it to their database in a few days. I thought that was nifty.

Plus... free :)

Had I not already put in months of data into My Fitness Pal, I might have given Baritastic a trial run...there seems to be generally favourable reviews on it.

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Aside: The one thing that I don't like about My Fitness Pal is that it doesn't immediately show NET carbs (i.e., Total Carbs minus Fibre and Sugar Alcohols), though simple math on my part can figure this out. But Still. Would've be nice to have it displayed automatically.

I think they've added this function for premium users. https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032622531-Can-I-track-Net-Carbs-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, njlimmer said:

Oh for goodness sakes. This functionality has been around for 4 months now? And I didn't even notice!

This would have been handy 2 years ago!!

Just turned it on....😎

IMG_0415.thumb.jpg.c7c19a63dcdfe220f3f743c329e99b33.jpg

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Had I not already put in months of data into My Fitness Pal, I might have given Baritastic a trial run...there seems to be generally favourable reviews on it.

Ok, I know no one asked, but because I am anal and a self-proclaimed research queen, I did a bit of a deeper dive of the reviews on Baritastic and downloaded the app for a bit of UAT:

(Mind you I have been using MyFitnessPal for 3 or so years so I am a little biased)

  • I find Baritastic layout quite busy/cluttered (MFP is waaaay cleaner)
  • The set up for daily log is by 3 meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and Snacks which is fine if this is how you eat, but I eat many little meals a day so....
  • I HATE ads.
  • Page loading is noticeably slower than MFP (though this could just be me)
  • If I wanted extended services, like social groups, recipes, reminders, etc, this app would be a nice all-in-one. But I dont, so....
  • Looks like there is no desktop version? Not sure this is such a big deal, but I do find it much easier to import recipes and edit them on a desktop.
  • From the very small sample of reviews that I read, there is a general consensus that MFP's food database is superior (I have not used B enough to have an opinion on this).
  • The big PRO of B for me is that it offers two of the things I paid premium for in MFP for free: Net carbs & timestamps.

Based on this, I'd probably still go with MFP as my needs are less "bariatric-wholistic" and I'm a sucker for simplicity (use and looks). If I never used MFP, all the above may not bother me so much. But I did, so....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Ok, I know no one asked, but because I am anal and a self-proclaimed research queen, I did a bit of a deeper dive of the reviews on Baritastic and downloaded the app for a bit of UAT:

(Mind you I have been using MyFitnessPal for 3 or so years so I am a little biased)

  • I find Baritastic layout quite busy/cluttered (MFP is waaaay cleaner)
  • The set up for daily log is by 3 meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and Snacks which is fine if this is how you eat, but I eat many little meals a day so....
  • I HATE ads.
  • Page loading is noticeably slower than MFP (though this could just be me)
  • If I wanted extended services, like social groups, recipes, reminders, etc, this app would be a nice all-in-one. But I dont, so....
  • Looks like there is no desktop version? Not sure this is such a big deal, but I do find it much easier to import recipes and edit them on a desktop.
  • From the very small sample of reviews that I read, there is a general consensus that MFP's food database is superior (I have not used B enough to have an opinion on this).
  • The big PRO of B for me is that it offers two of the things I paid premium for in MFP for free: Net carbs & timestamps.

Based on this, I'd probably still go with MFP as my needs are less "bariatric-wholistic" and I'm a sucker for simplicity (use and looks). If I never used MFP, all the above may not bother me so much. But I did, so....

Thanks for this!! I've used the free version of MFP before, and I downloaded Baritastic to try it out. This really hit on some things that I wouldn't have noticed or knew that I needed! I appreciate it! I did like the timers on Baritastic, but I can use those for free and use MFP for the rest.

Have you tried the new meal scan for MFP? It's fairly new, I think.

I've been checking out the plans they have in MFP. I might try one out just to see if it'd make the premium worth it. I need some inspiration to get moving!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, njlimmer said:

Have you tried the new meal scan for MFP? It's fairly new, I think.

Whoa. I really should keep up with the app's release notes!

No, I haven't tried it (as I just learned about it this second, lol), but I am intrigued...will def try it out!

54 minutes ago, njlimmer said:

I need some inspiration to get moving!

Atta girl!!

Edited to add: looking back, my biggest inspiration/motivator was watching my weight loss graph going down, down, down (I weighed every day, and still do, and took my measurements every Wednesday..though don't do this anymore). As well, taking pics of myself during the process and putting them side by side to watch myself getting smaller was quite empowering (but that's just me...)

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Edited to add: looking back, my biggest inspiration/motivator was watching my weight loss graph going down, down, down (I weighed every day, and still do, and took my measurements every Wednesday..though don't do this anymore). As well, taking pics of myself during the process and putting them side by side to watch myself getting smaller was quite empowering (but that's just me...)

That's one reason I'm trying MFP again. I was just recording my weight here on BP to watch my ticker move, but then that won't show me a graph over time of ups, downs, and dates. I'm trying to take pics once a month, but as I'm sure you know, at this stage, I'm not loving myself in pictures so I HATE them.

Have you tried this smart measuring tape? It's on my wish list! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082W886W9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1WXKQ3NWKC8WT&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×