Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I'm 3 months post op today and it's gone very well. I've tolerated everything I've eaten, and never threw up except the first couple days post op. I have had some times where maybe I took one bite too many and had a little discomfort, but nothing major. I actually just talked about this with my mom yesterday. I was wondering if I just got lucky or just really did chew well and eat slow enough.

We were at my mom's all day. I was helping her clean and organize her basement and I can really lose track of time when I clean, so I hadn't eaten all day after Breakfast. I was very hungry by the time we got food. We ordered Mexican. I got pork carnitas, which I thought would be a good choice. It was low carb and I've had pork several times and did fine. I was hungry and I know I ate too fast, and also didn't chew well. I have done well with this up until tonight, but when I'm too hungry it's hard to go slow.

Anyway, a few bites in I started having pain in my chest and then immediately knew I had to throw up, which I did.

So, is this because I chewed too fast, or because I didn't tolerate the pork? I feel like I must have not chewed enough, but I'm not sure. I never, ever want to make this mistake again!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi STLoser - We sounds pretty similar with regards to recovery - No major issues, tolerating everything fine, etc. I experienced the same thing once after eating too fast (and even with pork). So far, since then no other issues - I would say if it continues to happen, call your doc, otherwise - Lesson learned.

I have totally done the same thing a few times, but with chicken. It always happens when I am distracted or very hungry when I start to eat.🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I end up eating too fast, and then the pain/puke thing. I still eat chicken regularly without issues, so probably not related to the pork.

Edited by WishMeSmaller

Yeah, it's likely what you think it was.

Congratulations on making a good choice that was within your plan while eating out. Now don't you feel silly that you thought that was all there was to it?

Stress, anxiety, and lively conversation make any meal a mine field for me. If I don't pay very close attention to what I am doing (instead of talking/listening) I will pay.

Early on I had a couple such episodes when eating out. The early bad experiences eating out made me anxious about eating out. Because of this I basically stressed myself into more episodes to the extent that for many, many months I just didn't eat out.

Eventually, I was able to successfully eat while dining out. I am still anxious about it, particularly when I expect conversation, so I am extremely careful about the mechanics and not coming anywhere close to eating too much. I still won't eat out in stress situations, like work. I could do it, I just don't want to worry about it. It's a great excuse to miss business meals, which are dreadful at best.

So kids, be careful when you eat out. Remember your manners, no throwing up AT the table. And, if you're like me, only converse when you're not eating and only eat when you're not conversing. No toys at the table.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Thank you all for your replies! I'm glad to know it's probably what I think it was.
Tek, you're right, it's more challenging when eating out with other people. With conversation it's harder to pay attention to chew slowly and take small bites. I ate out one other time and did fine, but I wasn't so hungry then.
Luckily we rarely eat out now because of COVID anyway, but if I do again I will be extra careful. Lesson learned!

Honestly it could be either. Eating too much too fast can very well make you sick. But then so can a food you don’t tolerate.

I personally can’t tolerate beef and sometimes pork. It does anything from make me cramp, to make me puke.

have you ever eaten the pork carnitas from that restaurant? It could also be something in the sauce.

This actually was my first time having pork carnitas from that restaurant. I normally get my favorite food, tacos, but since it was takeout I knew they wouldn't be good once we got home and also, too many carbs.
The pork was kind of greasy so maybe that had something to do with it, along with how fast I ate and not chewing thoroughly.

I'm at 3 months also and found pork was one of my triggers for now. I test ate small amounts of soft pork (tenderloin, roast) a couple times and was ok but then as I started eating it as a full on meat for dinner I threw up every time.

When talking to my nutritionist she told me that pork has more connective tissues than chicken and it's harder for us to digest. So the tiny amounts I ate was probably ok since I didn't each much meat at all back then, but once I started eating more it just sat there filling my pouch more and more.

I'm allowed to officially have pork in a couple months though so I'm hopeful I can enjoy it again then.