Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sugar in slim fast shakes / dumping syndrome



Recommended Posts

Hi

I am preparing for post op diet (gastric bypass) and I am looking at Protein powders / shakes.

I know slim fast are rather tasty but I am worried the sugar in it might cause dumping syndrome. Is it best to avoid and try another Protein Powder?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not all RNY'ers dump. The statistic I see thrown around a lot on forums is that about 30% of us do. I don't know if there's any hardcore medical research behind that, but I know there are a lot of us who've never dumped, so I wouldn't doubt it.

even if you end up being a dumper, you can manage that by limiting/avoiding sugar. Several dumpers I know can eat *some* sugar - just not a ton of it at one sitting

intolerance of certain artificial sweeteners seems to be more of a problem for some of us. I can eat/drink any of them, but some of them give some folks G/I distress - especially sugar alcohols (the ones that end in "-itol", like sorbitol, xylitol, etc)

it's hard to predict if you'll dump or be intolerant of certain artificial sweeteners - but you'll figure it out pretty quickly once you've had surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, that's very interesting cat woman, you have such helpful information thank you. I clearly have the problem with the sugar alcohols. I was prescribed them post surgery in the soluble pain killers and a liquid antihistamine (reaction to something causing pain and swelling in my mouth) and I had the most unpleasant shaking, shivers and diarrhoea so managed without painkillers (wasn't in too much pain) and took an antihistamine tablet cut up. Can be tricky keeping away from sweeteners and sugar which is why I haven't had any Protein Shakes at all, they seem to have one or the other in them. I'm managing Protein though with carefully balanced meals and at 8 weeks out all seems well.

Good Luck dal101, you'll figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having surgery just before you dal101 and also trying to sort the shakes for afterwards. My Dietitian recommends the Slimfast Protein (along with various other protein shakes) and I have to say I was quite surprised when I bought it to see how much sugar/carbs are in it. I've got a variety of other shakes as well to try post-op so I suppose I'll just have to see what works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deb9386 said:

I'm having surgery just before you dal101 and also trying to sort the shakes for afterwards. My Dietitian recommends the Slimfast Protein (along with various other Protein shakes) and I have to say I was quite surprised when I bought it to see how much sugar/carbs are in it. I've got a variety of other shakes as well to try post-op so I suppose I'll just have to see what works!

Yeah, I think my dietitian mentioned diluting things that might be sweet, so diluting the slimfast might be the way to go.

Althou I have now ordered a Protein Powder called Phd diet whey (chocolate) which is lower in sugar.

I guess we will both see how it goes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Lychee said:

Ah, that's very interesting cat woman, you have such helpful information thank you. I clearly have the problem with the sugar alcohols. I was prescribed them post surgery in the soluble pain killers and a liquid antihistamine (reaction to something causing pain and swelling in my mouth) and I had the most unpleasant shaking, shivers and diarrhoea so managed without painkillers (wasn't in too much pain) and took an antihistamine tablet cut up. Can be tricky keeping away from sweeteners and sugar which is why I haven't had any Protein Shakes at all, they seem to have one or the other in them. I'm managing Protein though with carefully balanced meals and at 8 weeks out all seems well.

Good Luck dal101, you'll figure it out.

I ordered a Protein Powder called Phd diet whey which has artificial sugars in it (I think!) , I have a feeling I wont react to it as say to something like slim fast which is higher in sugars and carbs. But yeah, I guess we'll see how it goes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My name is Tek and I dump.

Even *IF* you dump, I doubt you will be able to drink enough Protein initially to cause it. So watch carefully as your volume increases because it can sneak up on you.

Dumping syndrome (technically a complication) affects 20-50% of RNY patients. It is not a one size fits all statistic. It varies by surgeon and how much intestine is bypassed. More bypassed = more likely to dump. It also varies by patient because not all of us start with the same or even terribly similar intestine lengths or capacity or other genetic things that can impact... well... just about everything.

Sugar alcohols affect non-ops just a bit less severely than post-ops. It's why they are common in actual laxatives.

I never did Slim-fast, but recently I was not eating well so my spouse decided to get me premade low calorie Breakfast Protein Drinks. Protein drinks are not on my plan, but I drank a couple and dumped each time (not severely). I accidentally threw the rest away... oops. "Sorry dear, I didn't know!"

When I was binge running my Doc had be add a Protein Drink or two because without them I felt like I was eating all day and still losing too much weight. When I stopped I returned to my original plan. I don't recall particular brands I used but I do know they were chocolate and started as powder. Coulda been Nestle for all I know. :)

A lot of this stuff, drinks, foods, drugs, activities, whatever, are trial and error. We each need to find what works for us with an eye to not developing bad habits that ultimately won't work for us.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

My name is Tek and I dump.

Even *IF* you dump, I doubt you will be able to drink enough Protein initially to cause it. So watch carefully as your volume increases because it can sneak up on you.

Dumping syndrome (technically a complication) affects 20-50% of RNY patients. It is not a one size fits all statistic. It varies by surgeon and how much intestine is bypassed. More bypassed = more likely to dump. It also varies by patient because not all of us start with the same or even terribly similar intestine lengths or capacity or other genetic things that can impact... well... just about everything.

Sugar alcohols affect non-ops just a bit less severely than non-ops. It's why they are common in actual laxatives.

I never did Slim-fast, but recently I was not eating well so my spouse decided to get me premade low calorie Breakfast Protein Drinks. Protein drinks are not on my plan, but I drank a couple and dumped each time (not severely). I accidentally threw the rest away... oops. "Sorry dear, I didn't know!"

When I was binge running my Doc had be add a Protein Drink or two because without them I felt like I was eating all day and still losing too much weight. When I stopped I returned to my original plan. I don't recall particular brands I used but I do know they were chocolate and started as powder. Coulda been Nestle for all I know. :)

A lot of this stuff, drinks, foods, drugs, activities, whatever, are trial and error. We each need to find what works for us with an eye to not developing bad habits that ultimately won't work for us.

Good luck,

Tek

Post op a couple of months down the line, I hope to be eating properly so my protein comes from solid foods and not Protein Shakes. But then again, I dont know what my eating habits are gonna be like in the future so...

I am glad to hear dumping syndrome doesnt happen to everyone, guess I'll cross that bridge if it comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dal101 said:

Yeah, I think my dietitian mentioned diluting things that might be sweet, so diluting the slimfast might be the way to go.

Althou I have now ordered a Protein Powder called Phd diet whey (chocolate) which is lower in sugar.

I guess we will both see how it goes :)

The Phd diet whey powder looks good - I will probably order some to try it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dal101 said:

Post op a couple of months down the line, I hope to be eating properly so my Protein comes from solid foods and not Protein Shakes. But then again, I dont know what my eating habits are gonna be like in the future so...

I am glad to hear dumping syndrome doesnt happen to everyone, guess I'll cross that bridge if it comes.

Except when I was binge running Protein Shakes were never part of my program and aren't now. First 6 weeks post-op was puree of the same foods I would eat later: 3 meals of 3oz protein, 1oz veggies. I don't count anything but meals, no calories, carbs, or anything else. No Snacks. I don't do it perfectly, but I do it consistently.

You will test to see if you dump. And it will be sooner than later. It's sort of a right of passage. Weirdly, the folks that don't dump are more distressed about it than those that do. Personally, I hoped for dumping. I lucked out.

Good luck

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

The Phd diet whey powder looks good - I will probably order some to try it. Thanks!

Hey thats great! Mine just came today, I had it before so I know it will taste good. I ordered the cheaper 1kg from Amazon.

I just noticed youre from the UK haha. What hospital are you doing it with ? I am with Parkside hospital in Wimbledon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Except when I was binge running Protein Shakes were never part of my program and aren't now. First 6 weeks post-op was puree of the same foods I would eat later: 3 meals of 3oz Protein, 1oz veggies. I don't count anything but meals, no calories, carbs, or anything else. No Snacks. I don't do it perfectly, but I do it consistently.

You will test to see if you dump. And it will be sooner than later. It's sort of a right of passage. Weirdly, the folks that don't dump are more distressed about it than those that do. Personally, I hoped for dumping. I lucked out.

Good luck

Tek

Oooo, tbh Protein Shakes are good for convenience, but I gotta learn about my protein sources to stay healthy inthe long run. I need to weigh things and etc. I definately calorie count everything though.

Dumping syndrome sounds like a neat deterrent for weight gain, but wouldnt want to get an episode of it in public though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dal101 said:

Oooo, tbh Protein Shakes are good for convenience, but I gotta learn about my Protein sources to stay healthy inthe long run. I need to weigh things and etc. I definately calorie count everything though.

Dumping syndrome sounds like a neat deterrent for weight gain, but wouldnt want to get an episode of it in public though.

Honestly, dumping was more of an early negative reinforcement tool to learn what not to eat. That and mechanically eating wrong were the most effective things to teach me what not to do. It took amazingly few occurrences to put appropriate methods and items into place to avoid them. Such habits are now old hat, I don't need to think about them.

Good luck,

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, dal101 said:

Hey thats great! Mine just came today, I had it before so I know it will taste good. I ordered the cheaper 1kg from Amazon.

I just noticed youre from the UK haha. What hospital are you doing it with ? I am with Parkside hospital in Wimbledon.

Not many people here from the UK! I'm having RNY bypass next Thursday at St Mary's in Paddington. We used to live in west London and I know the hospital well tho we moved a couple of years ago; where we live now is quite rural and not near hospitals, so travelling back to London for the surgery. I have to admit I'm getting nervous now.

When's your surgery due?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

Not many people here from the UK! I'm having RNY bypass next Thursday at St Mary's in Paddington. We used to live in west London and I know the hospital well tho we moved a couple of years ago; where we live now is quite rural and not near hospitals, so travelling back to London for the surgery. I have to admit I'm getting nervous now.

When's your surgery due?

I am quite familiar with st marys as I work with one of the other hospitals thats part of the trust. But I chose parkside because it was cheaper (I think.)

Ah next thursday? It will go well for you, its a great hospital. I think the only thing to think about is the gas pain and many people here have great tips to help remedy that. I have my pre assessment tests on that day, I hope it goes ok...

My surgery is halloween lol 31st. With this whole covid thing, I hope it doesnt get pushed back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×