Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting really close

Hello all,

I am having the Sleeve on Thursday this week and up until now I have been really excited, now not so much. I keep questioning if I should do it on my own. Its just seems really daunting at this point.

I started my pre surgical diet yesterday and pretty much spent the last 2 days dying of hunger and in the bathroom (sorry for the TMI). I am sure that is what is causing the freak out. But well here I am.

Well thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have a gastric bypass RNY the following Thursday (22nd) and I've been on the pre-op diet for a week. I'm starving hungry too and also feeling anxious about the surgery. Covid means I have to go to the hospital on my own too and no visitors for the 2 nights I'm there - I agree having to be on my own is very daunting. I'm just trying to hold it together by reminding myself why I'm doing this - steady weight gain, yo yo dieting for years, high bp, arthritis, pre-diabetes. If I postpone it now, all routine ops here might be cancelled till who knows when if covid accelerates more, so I think as my decision is made, it's best to just do it now. Good luck!

I just had my surgery on the 5th and was also super nervous. Time will fly by so quickly and you’ll most likely look back on this point in a few weeks and be so grateful you made the decision to go through with it. I told my surgeon I was really nervous and he prescribed me some Valium that I could take before I got to the hospital on surgery day. Maybe that might be an option? Either way, knowing what I know now, I feel like I totally could have done it without any sort of anxiety meds. It’s not as bad as we build it up to be!

I did not have any second thoughts, as I am an expert yo-yo dieter with almost 30 years of experience. I regret not considering surgery sooner, since clearly, I was not able to do it on my own. I spent the two weeks of my pre-op diet trying to focus on the post-op diet and permanent life style changes coming up. The focus really helped calm me down and I was a rock at the hospital by myself. I chatted and joked with my nurse. They took me back to the operating room and I said goodnight to everyone...then woke up in recovery. My only true pain, was in recovery when I first woke up. In retrospect, I understand I was having stomach spasms, but at the time it was just agony. The nurse gave me some pain meds and I was good from there. I took pain meds the first couple of days, mostly to prevent pain rather than because I was in pain. After day three, I took only Tylenol. Spend this time gaining focus and centering yourself. You will do great!

Enjoy the journey!

It is very normal to have second thoughts as you get close to your surgery date. I sure did! I lost almost 70 pounds before surgery, and I started to think maybe I should try to keep going on my own. But I've spent far too much of my life yo-yo dieting, so I knew that it was unlikely that I'd be able to lose that weight and keep it off without WLS.

I've read that people make poor decisions when they are in a heightened emotional state, so you should always try to make big decisions when you are calm and have time to think through them rationally. Presumably, you've already had a long journey to get to this point, through all of the pre-op requirements you had to meet, so you've had plenty of time to make this decision rationally. We all have our reasons for doing something as drastic as WLS, and I don't know your specific reasons, but I think you should trust that decision that you made and that you were excited about up until this point. The pre-op diet and the first week after surgery are pretty miserable, but once you get through that, it gets much easier from there.

I wish that my pre-op diet was that short. My surgery is November 3 and I’ve been doing my pre-op diet (badly) since October 3 and it’s miserable. Doing this for any amount of time is awful.