Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 2 days!

I want to back out I’m so scared of having my SVG surgery in 2 days. My doctor is going to be upset at me. I have Gerd now and I’m afraid to have it later. I don’t want to go through another surgery afterwards. If I were to do the sleeve would I need another surgery 10 to 20 years down the line?

Edited by thinnerS

I know you’ve probably read this phrase here 1000 times from different people but I’ll say it one more time. I had the vsg four months ago and I’m amazed already how much better I feel, so “I wish I did this years ago.” For me, if I have to have another surgery in five years I honestly would consider it a small price to pay for what I’ve already gained in my life, let alone what is to come. It’s perfectly normal to be nervous at this point. That being said, whether or not your doctor will be mad at you should be at the bottom of your list of worries. S/he is a professional. Not to diminish the you, but you’re just a slot on a schedule not a partner on some lifetime project that’s walking away at the last minute. If you can’t go forward with the surgery that’s your decision and the feelings of the doctor are irrelevant. They experience cancellations all the time for various reasons and they’ll just skip you over and go on to the next one, you won’t be a second thought to them for more than half a day.

not everyone's GERD gets worse. Some people have reported theirs actually got better....and with some it stayed the same. But it (getting worse) does happen to a significant minority of people - so it's a risk, but it's not inevitable.

Also, you wouldn't necessarily need another surgery if yours happens to get worse. It can sometimes be medically managed (i.e., with PPI's). People with really severe cases sometimes have revisions - but I don't know what the overall percentage of that is. It's not everyone, though.

Edited by catwoman7

If you are not 100% sure you want surgery, perhaps you should back out.

Success is up to you. Follow your plan for the rest of your life and you're golden. Sounds easy but we all know better.

People that need surgery again in 5, 10, 20 years returned to old habits.

Make sure you are doing the right thing for you.

I'm 17+ years post-op and I don't need another surgery.

Good luck,

Tek

I want to back out I’m so scared of having my SVG surgery in 2 days. My doctor is going to be upset at me. I have Gerd now and I’m afraid to have it later. I don’t want to go through another surgery afterwards. If I were to do the sleeve would I need another surgery 10 to 20 years down the line?

I'm a month out from my surgery and I was debating on canceling as well. But now I'm glad I went through with it. I did the sleeve and I had issues with heartburn before the surgery and now it's actually gone.

I had stress related reflux before my surgery, suffered terribly from hiccups, was sensitive to spicy foods & had a lactose sensitivity due to a parasite I’d picked up years ago. Post surgery, my reflux is ‘different‘ but it’s managed by daily meds versus ‘as needed’. The big wins were I don’t suffer from the awful hiccups any more & my lactose sensitivity seems to have vanished (I think it was hiding in the part of my stomach that was removed). Still can’t tolerate spicy food but no loss.

You have to feel at peace with your decision to proceed with your surgery cause you are going to have to be fully committed to the program & to making the changes if you want to be successful. When they say it’s going to take hard work they’re right but the benefits are amazing. So, so worth it.

Good luck with whichever path you chose.