Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have I made the right choice ?



Recommended Posts

I've met with my private consultant and I have opted for a gastric sleeve

I weigh 177kg.

Can you please share your stories of sucess as I am very anxious ?

I can't ever imagine being lighter?

I'm so worried about sticking to new eating habits as I am a terrible snacker and comfort eater !

Sent from my SM-G960F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only you can determine if youve made the right choice and if you end up with complications you may regret. I will say that you will be pleasantly surprised with how fast the weight seems to go off initially 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My worry is with that weight that sleeve isn't enough. By that is a choice you have made and only you determind what is good for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a lot of people work with therapists to deal with eating issues -- so that's always an option if you struggle with that after surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MsMocie said:

My worry is with that weight that sleeve isn't enough. By that is a choice you have made and only you determind what is good for you.

Your profile says you are getting Mini Gastric Bypass. Sleeve is different.

Back in the day, MGB had issues. I don't know if it's still true, but be sure what you are having done to your body.

I think all of us worried if we were choosing the right surgery and if that surgery would help us defeat our negative habits. It's up to you to think it through for your situation.

Just about any restrictive surgery (RNY, sleeve) will help with comfort food because for many months you won't be able to eat much in a sitting. This can still be defeated if you graze (eat small amounts constantly, aka snacking). As such, initially you will need to focus on eating habits, like only eating at the table and allowing meals to last only 30 minutes. Good habits are what your building.

Mal-absorption procedures (RNY, DS) mean that not everything you eat is absorbed as well as now. Basically, if you eat 500 calories you may only absorb 499-250. Even grazing hurts your program less but do it enough and it can.

Their are other important differences in surgeries: Sleeve is only restrictive; RNY is restrictive, malabsorbtive, and about 50% of patients dump; DS is not restrictive, more malabsorbtive, and no dumping. I knew many people that went with DS because they did not want to change eating habits. I chose RNY because I did want to change.

Think it through.

Good luck.

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

; DS is not restrictive, more malabsorbtive, and no dumping.

actually, DS is restrictive. The DS is a sleeved stomach with a bypassed small intestine (or a lot of it is bypassed, anyway ). The sleeve at one time was just phase 1 of the DS - it wasn't a standalone surgery until recently - within the last 10 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

actually, DS is restrictive. The DS is a sleeved stomach with a bypassed small intestine (or a lot of it is bypassed, anyway ). The sleeve at one time was just phase 1 of the DS - it wasn't a standalone surgery until recently - within the last 10 years or so.

Thanks for the correction.

I guess things have changed as all my DS friends claimed no restriction back when. They often taunted me with the amounts and types of food they ate.

ETA: Also, my DS friends all had theirs done in a single surgery, and this was 16-20 years ago. So while some surgeons may have done it in two surgeries, at least some didn't.

Edited by The Greater Fool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Thanks for the correction.

I guess things have changed as all my DS friends claimed no restriction back when. They often taunted me with the amounts and types of food they ate.

ETA: Also, my DS friends all had theirs done in a single surgery, and this was 16-20 years ago. So while some surgeons may have done it in two surgeries, at least some didn't.

they can eat a lot of food - but then, so can I after five years out (from RNY)! (I don't....but that doesn't mean I physically can't....)

DS is usually done in one surgery now. Years ago, it was often done as two. When it was discovered that a lot of people lost a lot of weight after phase 1 (the sleeve), they started using it as a standalone surgery. The sleeve largely replaced the lapband a few years back...

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, catwoman7 said:

they can eat a lot of food - but then, so can I after five years out (from RNY)! (I don't....but that doesn't mean I physically can't....)

After 17+ years RNY I still physically can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Your profile says you are getting Mini Gastric Bypass. Sleeve is different.

Back in the day, MGB had issues. I don't know if it's still true, but be sure what you are having done to your body.

I think all of us worried if we were choosing the right surgery and if that surgery would help us defeat our negative habits. It's up to you to think it through for your situation.

Just about any restrictive surgery (RNY, sleeve) will help with comfort food because for many months you won't be able to eat much in a sitting. This can still be defeated if you graze (eat small amounts constantly, aka snacking). As such, initially you will need to focus on eating habits, like only eating at the table and allowing meals to last only 30 minutes. Good habits are what your building.

Mal-absorption procedures (RNY, DS) mean that not everything you eat is absorbed as well as now. Basically, if you eat 500 calories you may only absorb 499-250. Even grazing hurts your program less but do it enough and it can.

Their are other important differences in surgeries: Sleeve is only restrictive; RNY is restrictive, malabsorbtive, and about 50% of patients dump; DS is not restrictive, more malabsorbtive, and no dumping. I knew many people that went with DS because they did not want to change eating habits. I chose RNY because I did want to change.

Think it through.

Good luck.

Tek

I am a year out, but thanks.

I do know all the differences between bariatric procedures, and I have my opinion on them, like the sleeve only suiting for people without cormodities and a lower BMI. The tread starter has opted for the sleeve, and only her/him can chose what is best for them. We can certainly offer our opinions.

PS: MGB is heated for being the golden standard.

Edited by MsMocie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I am a year out, but thanks.

I do know all the differences between bariatric procedures, and I have my opinion on them, like the sleeve only suiting for people without cormodities and a lower BMI. The tread starter has opted for the sleeve, and only her/him can chose what is best for them. We can certainly offer our opinions.

PS: MGB is heated for being the golden standard.

Sorry, was going by your profile. It says MGB and 6 weeks ago. ETA: Crap, 2019. I'm an idiot.

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×