Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss after VSG to RNY Revision?

I am having a revision from VSG to RNY on 9/15 due to severe GERD....can anyone share their experience on weight loss post revision?

A little history: I had my sleeve done in 2015 and loved it. Easy recovery and great results. For the past year, I developed severe ACID reflux and Gerd with a hiatal hernia. Unfortunately, I gained 40 lbs back. So much of this was due to the fact that if my sleeve was empty the acid was so much worse. So I started eating tons of carbs to keep the acid soaked up. I didn't catch it soon enough so the weight gain continued.

I am very excited to get rid of the GERD, but also want to get a realistic weight loss goal in my plan.

How much did you lose after your revision?

I'm not a revision, but I've been hanging out on various forums for the last six or seven years. A lot of people lose about 20-ish lbs after a revision, but it depends a lot on how much weight you need to lose. There are some people who've lost a lot more than that.

@scoutmom... hi we are very similar. I had the sleeve in 2015. I had also gained back 40lbs because I had such bad GERD which turned to Barrett’s Esophagus and all I wanted to eat was comforting carbs. So I just had revision surgery 8 weeks ago to the bypass. I have lost 29lbs so far. The eating seems easier than after the sleeve, I’m progressing really well, even eating chicken. I don’t have that hard stop that I had with the sleeve so I weigh and measure everything. I did get thrush after surgery which was something I was told was common after that surgery, so be aware of that. I can drink very well, unless I gulp too fast or too much. You’re going to do great and I’m sure you may be nervous but all will go well. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. Good luck!!

I had sleeve in 2016 and then developed GERD which resulted in a hiatal hernia. On 8/3/20 had a revision to bypass and fix the hiatal hernia. So far I’ve been doing great and walking 5 miles a day. I have lost 25 lbs so far

Scoutmom— how is it going? I’m in the same boat as you guys but i haven’t out on weight. My sleeve was very successful but now having revision in one week due to gerd. Although i haven’t gained weight i am about 25 lbs from my goal weight. I am hoping to loose just a little bit not too much. I’ve heard it’s a little harder the second half. How are you progressing and feeling?

I too am scheduled for a revision to bypass on October 7, 2020 per issues with GERD. I gained 7 to 15 llbs (it goes up and down) but never did reach goal weight but have been ok with where I am at. My original surgery was done 12/26/2018 along with a hiatal hernia repair and I read above a mention of thrush, I had that with the VSG so I am wondering if I will have that issue once again with the bypass? My GERD got so bad that it is hurting my vocal chords and caused some bleeding and so I am ready to get the acid under control. Apparently my hiatal hernia repair came undone and so they will do another repair on this as well why doing the revision. I am a little nervous about it all and wondering if it will be harder? Wondering if I will go through that huge energy loss again or if will not be so bad since the body has been trough it once and the hormones don't have that big of a re-adjustment? This will be my 15th surgery and I just hope my body can handle it. I don't have any issues with dumping and can pretty much eat anything in very small portions and am wondering if that will change with revision? So I am back to this fabulous forum looking for answers. :)