Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyriodism and VSG

Hello everyone. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyriodism in 8/2019. After realizing this, I started the process to get approved for VSG and was approved for a 8/2020 surgery date. I then pushed my surgery date back to 12/2020 because I am so afraid of the unknown.

I am 5 ft 9 inches tall and I weigh 269 lbs currently. I have always been super athletic and my calves and thighs are huge and are very muscular. I have a three year old daughter and lost 22 lbs during my pregnancy just so that I could deliver with my OB vs being considered high risk and having to transfer to the hospital where I worked in high risk OB. My highest weight has been 275 lbs. Please someone with hypothyriodism please share some insight with me.

Here are my biggest fears. Loosing too much weight too fast. Not being able to tone my body and my biggest is not being able to ever drink 2-3 gallons of Water day every again.

I currently take Synthoriod 75 mg and I have found a new endo Dr. Please someone share some info with me.

there's typically a big drop the first month (15-25 lbs for most of us - although there are outliers on either side of that), and then you'll settle in to a slower, steady weight loss. I lost 16 lbs the first month, then about 10 lbs a month until month 6 or 7, and then about 5-8 lbs a month until the year mark. After that it was about 2-3 lbs a month until I quit losing somewhere around month 18-20.

of course, your rate of weight loss will depend on a lot of factors - starting BMI, age, gender, metabolic rate, activity level, how closely you stick to your program (the last two being the only factors you really have any control over).

it seems to be slower than most of us would like - at least for a majority of us - so you may OK with that.

12 hours ago, RelMarieS said:

Here are my biggest fears. Loosing too much weight too fast. Not being able to tone my body and my biggest is not being able to ever drink 2-3 gallons of Water day every again.

Not sure how you define “too much too fast”, but in the first month or so you will likely drop weight without even trying: your stomach will physically prevent from eating alot (at least in volume). That’s not to say that you have ZERO control of this as you still have a choice of the TYPES of food you eat, i.e., low vs high calorie. I mean you could choose a clear Bone Broth or you could reach for a creamy higher fat Soup. Though I personally wouldn’t recommend purposefully slowing weight down by increasing calories so early on...but if that is what you really want, you talk to your team and they can advise you.

As for drinking lots if Water, I think most find that this ability returns within the first month of surgery (barring any complications, of course). I was back to drinking a ton of water by the end of week 2...BUT I couldn’t (and still can’t) drink while I’m eating nor for about 30-40 minutes after eating.

Good Luck!

Edited to add: as for toning your body, nothing will prevent you from doing this (unless you have physical limitations). Now whether or not you can SEE the toning is another story. If you have alot of weight to lose, the excess skin may cover all your gorgeous muscles up. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of a lot of excess skin is with plastic surgery. I didn’t have too too much excess skin on my stomach (looked like wrinkled fabric), but after my Tummy Tuck, my abs became clear as day.

Edited by ms.sss

Yes I know all the underlining info. I know that I wont be able to control the first month of weight loss during the first few months or weeks I should say.

As far as loosing too much too fast , I meant like loosing 80 lbs in less than 6 months. I know several people who have had that happen. Thanks for your reply.

@catwoman7 thank you for your insight. I really love your honesty, especially considering you have had surgery and have the condition also. You gave me so much hope. I know everyone is different, however, I a, praying I am one of those people that looses much slower than others. Thank you

I had my surgery in March and had hypothyroidism for 24 years and was on 100 mcg of synthroid. After losing 45 lbs in the first three months o went from hypo to hyperthyroid so doctor has taken me off synthroid completely. Just had blood work again last week and TSH and others thyroid levels are perfect. Just stay in contact with your doctor if you start feeling sluggish or have mental fog after losing some of your weight. I am thrilled that my metabolism has reset and I no longer need synthroid 🙂

@AuthorLizzy thanks so much for your insight. I really feel motivated now ! thank you so much ! i will be "
following you '' and your journey for sure. Can you give me some tips please ? do you know any others who have hypo and wls surgery that has lost slower also ? congrats and blessings on everything
!!

here is my personal email address also smaries_21@yahoo.com

thank you!😍😍

Tips:

-walk as much as you can right after

-drink lots of Water. I love Crystal light lemonade added to it

-stick to your plan

-stalls happen. I had one at 3 weeks that lasted two weeks. And one from month 4-5 that lasted 4 full weeks. Don't give up and just stick to the plan.

I would do it all over again and am so glad I don't have to take synthroid anymore. I hope yours goes well. Let me know if you have any questions