Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CPAP use requirement

I have a small problem.

I have been wearing my cpap mask easily over 75% of the time(since starting about months) but I am nowhere near the 75% being at 4 hours or more(in last 30 days) I am required to be at(I end up unconsciously ripping off my mask anywhere from 1-5 hours (per the MyAir app) after having it on...I am pretty sure the requirement is from the surgeon and not my insurance.

Has anyone else dealt with compliance time requirements like this for cpaps(insurance and/or surgeons)?

Also, what do you do to keep the mask on the majority of the night?

I am a stomach and side sleeper--my sleep study forced me to sleep on my back--(my back has never been a preferred position) so I bought the Phillips Respironics nose pillow mask that has the hose coming to the mask from the top to help keep it on no matter how I sleep.

I really don't have the funds to go run out and buy a new mask right now(this one is barely 3 months old) but will have to if that's a) the solution most of you have and/or b)this is a requirement of most surgeons or c)my insurance requires the compliance rate(I sent an email to the office tonight to clarify).

I appreciate any and all input/feedback y'all have!

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am not even 75% compliant on my c-pap I’m also worried , I have no idea what’s happens if you’re not compliant, will they just not do the surgery?

I didn't have any requirements like that when going for my surgery, but it was really hard for me to get comfortable using my CPAP machine. What worked for me was trying on several different masks until one felt "natural". The problem for most of us, I think, is that we are reacting to feeling suffocated and while half-awake, we just yank the damn thing off.

My insurer requires 80% compliance to pay for the CPAP machine. I was required to submit a report to the hospital Bariatric program I am in & was told compliance was also at 80%. I didn’t ask if the program had separate compliance but I assume so as they are very strict & I also assume this report would be part of the records submitted for surgery approval.

Unclear if you have insurance involved but if you do, I would recommend you check with your insurer and/or HH company providing the machine. My insurance covers replacement parts, the mask I believe at 3 months. I would think if you are having issues with the mask, even if you are required to wait longer for a paid replacement, a better fitting or different model would be considered medically necessary.

I too am a stomach sleeper & have a full face mask at this time. It wakes me up when the air starts blowing in my eyes but I am able to readjust & go back to sleep. I feel for you!

Amy

On 8/20/2020 at 6:31 PM, ajb1029 said:

I have a small problem.

I have been wearing my cpap mask easily over 75% of the time(since starting about months) but I am nowhere near the 75% being at 4 hours or more(in last 30 days) I am required to be at(I end up unconsciously ripping off my mask anywhere from 1-5 hours (per the MyAir app) after having it on...I am pretty sure the requirement is from the surgeon and not my insurance.

Has anyone else dealt with compliance time requirements like this for cpaps(insurance and/or surgeons)?

Also, what do you do to keep the mask on the majority of the night?

I am a stomach and side sleeper--my sleep study forced me to sleep on my back--(my back has never been a preferred position) so I bought the Phillips Respironics nose pillow mask that has the hose coming to the mask from the top to help keep it on no matter how I sleep.

I really don't have the funds to go run out and buy a new mask right now(this one is barely 3 months old) but will have to if that's a) the solution most of you have and/or b)this is a requirement of most surgeons or c)my insurance requires the compliance rate(I sent an email to the office tonight to clarify).

I appreciate any and all input/feedback y'all have!

Hi! I can tell you that my primary doctor (does surgery clearance before surgery before surgeon will operate) had sent over notes in the required within 30 days of surgery clearance and i saw them. The pcp mentioned that i had “treated “ osa. She must have received the report from the sleep lab. She communicated whether i was compliant to surgon in paperwork 🙃 thankfully i am at 90% on that machine. Sometimes i dont get to washing it til noon then i dont want to get rainout in the tube so i plug in this other apap i was gifted lol. I love cpap. When i had the surgeoun preop appointment today she had a folder with all my sleep study info and every test and talked with me about it. She was more concerned that i had the equipment necessary but again im compliant

Look girls go right on over to the web site etsy and get yourself some cpap tube covers with cute patterns and strap covers! More comfy!! I got some from redrabbitgoods That i like. Theres a company called padacheek that also makes comfy straps to make the process more enjoyable! You can also decorate your cpap with stickers to match the covers just saying

I use resmed airTOUCH F20 mask. It has a soft foam cushion. I use humidification at a 4 or 5 on the low temp because i prefer breathing colder air. Find a way to make it more comfortable by really looking into the settings. Am able to side sleep in f20 mask. Hey hope my rambling inspires you to keep trying cpap because not breathing at night aint cool 💗🥴

DBA3A791-B332-4E58-A021-7C6418B81417.jpeg

11 hours ago, aag said:

My insurer requires 80% compliance to pay for the CPAP machine. I was required to submit a report to the hospital Bariatric program I am in & was told compliance was also at 80%. I didn’t ask if the program had separate compliance but I assume so as they are very strict & I also assume this report would be part of the records submitted for surgery approval.

Unclear if you have insurance involved but if you do, I would recommend you check with your insurer and/or HH company providing the machine. My insurance covers replacement parts, the mask I believe at 3 months. I would think if you are having issues with the mask, even if you are required to wait longer for a paid replacement, a better fitting or different model would be considered medically necessary.

I too am a stomach sleeper & have a full face mask at this time. It wakes me up when the air starts blowing in my eyes but I am able to readjust & go back to sleep. I feel for you!

Amy

They make “eye sheilds” for that but i havent tried em. I also use ffm -airtouch f20 cpap babes unite 👍🏼

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I have to take a little bit of Seroquel. Like 25 mg. Alot of it is anxiety, too and the type of mask. I love my mask, but oh my Lord the pillow things were a joke. I had to do full face. Sounds odd I know considering I'm claustrophobic, too. Ask your doctor for an anxiety med like Ativan. I would never be able to tolerate any of it without my meds. Also, I'm a side sleeper, too. Oh and I wasn't compliant at one point a few years ago and the insurance was threatening to take it away and I'm on oxygen so I use a bipap and can't live without the bipap. Lol. So how I fixed it is i started wearing it awake during the day for a few hours which got my numbers up and they were satisfied. I got used to mask more and now I can't live without it. My energy is through the roof. Hugs

HW: 404 lbs.
5/22/20 preop: 377 lbs.
8/27/20 current weight: 333
9/2/20 Surgery Date :)

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions! I have really doubled down on being mindful of putting the mask back on if it has been pulled off as well as changing up my sleeping positions that ensure I am as comfortable as possible when going to sleep(I have found that alone has helped the most!) I am now up to 46% compliance with about 2 weeks to go. Hoping to hit 75% this month so I can send in my report to the surgeon's office before my last supervised diet/weigh in visit with my pcp! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

14 minutes ago, ajb1029 said:

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions! I have really doubled down on being mindful of putting the mask back on if it has been pulled off as well as changing up my sleeping positions that ensure I am as comfortable as possible when going to sleep(I have found that alone has helped the most!) I am now up to 46% compliance with about 2 weeks to go. Hoping to hit 75% this month so I can send in my report to the surgeon's office before my last supervised diet/weigh in visit with my pcp!

I used to struggle keeping my mask on for 4 hours at a time. After weeks without hitting that mark my sleep doctor raised the pressure on my machine (MyAir as well) and I've had no trouble sense.

Have you tried a different type of mask? Perhaps you can ask the Respironics rep to let you try a few different kinds before you buy another. I have used a CPAP for years and always struggled with the nasal pillows and would wake up 2 hours in with a sore nose. A few years ago, I switched to one that covers my nose only (not the mouth) and I can get through the whole night with no problem.

Okay guys, I DID IT!! I am sending in my report with a 76% compliance rate!! [emoji3060][emoji3060][emoji3060] that leaves only my last two weigh ins before paperwork gets submitted to insurance!

5 hours ago, ajb1029 said:

Okay guys, I DID IT!! I am sending in my report with a 76% compliance rate!! that leaves only my last two weigh ins before paperwork gets submitted to insurance!

good job! you should be having some good energy too!