Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I eat watermelon?

I am 3 months post surgery and wondering if one small slice of watermelon is ok to eat? I made a huge mistake this morning and eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal without looking at the nutrition facts! I was so disappointed in myself! I should have read!

oatmeal is actually pretty good for you, but I don't think I ate it much if at all the first year because my stomach was so small and the Protein requirement was high (esp for me, since I have to eat more protein than most). I do eat it occasionally now that I'm in maintenance.

watermelon is mostly Water, so it should be fine unless you can't handle the sugar in it. Or if you're on a really low-carb plan (also because of the sugar)

I've eaten watermelon without any problems. I love it cut up in a bowl w/ feta cheese sprinkled on top!

I love watermelon too, but only started eating it AFTER weight loss phase cuz I felt there was too much sugar in it (but that’s just me).

Also, @ChubRub: try adding a bit of fresh mint and a squeeze of lime with the watermelon and feta: DELISH

(and blueberries!) 😋

(and a drizzle of balsamic glaze!) 😋😋😋

Edited by ms.sss

On 08/17/2020 at 16:40, ChubRub said:

I've eaten watermelon without any problems. I love it cut up in a bowl w/ feta cheese sprinkled on top!

@ChubRub, interesting! I’ve never had watermelon with feta! @ms.sss I have had it with balsamic glaze! Yum.

I starting eating watermelon when I neared my weight loss goal. Yep the sugar content is a concern (but at least it’s a naturally occurring sugar) but the Water content is great for boosting your daily intake & it’s super delicious.

I was low carb too but was allowed oatmeal from the start of my solid food stage as it’s a good carb. (It contains Protein & the fibre hit helps with your BMs - always a win). Mind you, it took about 3 days to eat a serving. 😁 I made it on lactose free milk to up the protein more & ate eggs the other 4 days each week.

I eat a regular serving now everyday & sometimes throw in some blueberries. My dietician told me recently to added some powdered milk to the cooked oats to further up the protein but I find it way too sweet.

Watermelon is absolutely fine. It’s a low carb fruit mostly made up of Water. It is not high in sugar. Less than 5 grams carb for 1/2 cup. Eat it up!!! And it can be a life saver pretty much at any phase. I ate it as soon as I could.