Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the sleeve nearly 10 years ago. I gained a lot of weight since then and am blessed with the possibility of a do-over. I had a consultation today to start the process for a revision. An EGD will help the surgeon determine which surgery is best for me--the DS or the RNY, but he suggested I research to get an idea of what I might prefer. Per my reading, the DS is for people with severe morbid obesity (BMI >50), which I do not have. Also, there's supposedly a greater risk of complications from this surgery. However, I read it provides higher weight loss than the RNY. I read about possible ulcers, bowel obstruction, etc and I'm afraid. Is there any way to prevent these issues, or are they just inevitable with any type of bypass surgery? (I know this is a question for my doctor, and I do plan to ask.)

Ultimately, like anyone, I just want help to get thin and healthy. I don't want to be sickly or have life-threatening complications as result of weight loss surgery. I want to take full advantage of this 2nd chance, lose all the weight I didn't lose the first time around, and KEEP IT OFF. If my surgeon does not have a firm opinion on which surgery I should get and he leaves the option to me, then I'm not sure whether I would get the DS or the RNY.

Do you guys have any information or experience that might help?

you're right - weight loss is usually greater with the DS, but on the flipside, there's a greater risk of complications with it, too. So....??? Either way, though, major complications with either surgery are pretty rare.

if you have GERD, however, bypass would be the way to go. If you don't, it really comes down to personal preference.

i'd just do a lot of reading on both surgeries. One thing to consider is that pretty much all doctors are familiar with the RNY because it's so common. I "know" people (at least from online forums) who've had the DS who've had to educate their PCP's because not all of them are familiar with it - it's not a very common surgery.

other than that, most people seem to be happy with their choices. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Edited to add that you're correct - DS is usually done on people with severe morbid obesity. Although I know someone who was around 250 lbs (a woman) who had it done - so they do do it on lighter people occasionally, too.

Edited by catwoman7

Well it really depends on you. Do you take NSAIDS or feel like you need to because if you have RNY you can't take them anymore. Ever. I mean, you could take tumeric which is natural, but no asprin, naproxen, ibuprofen, etc.

I was bouncing back and forth on whether to have the RNY, DS, or Loop DS and in the end I chose the Loop DS. I'm almost 7 months out now and I'm happy with my choice. I have had some weird experiences though lol. I had two issues with Constipation which confused the hell out of my surgeons office and they told me I was the first Loop DS patient they'd had that had that issue! x'D Apparently my body processes Iron REALLY well so I only need one multi with iron in it and take two without. Also, when you have to go... you have to go! Your stomach will give you about a 5-10 minute warning and that means you best find a restroom... or is that just me? 🤔

Anyway, in the end it's your life and the choice you make is very much your own. I suggest just looking up all the info you can find maybe making a pro and con list for each surgery and just choosing the one that has more pro's. That's my suggestion.

I wish you the best!

3 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

Well it really depends on you. Do you take NSAIDS or feel like you need to because if you have RNY you can't take them anymore. Ever. I mean, you could take tumeric which is natural, but no asprin, naproxen, ibuprofen, etc.

actually, ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric surgery) now recommends that sleeve patients (which would include DS since they have a sleeved stomach) avoid NSAIDs as well. So that may not make as much of a difference as it once did...

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

actually, ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric surgery) now recommends that sleeve patients (which would include DS since they have a sleeved stomach) avoid NSAIDs as well. So that may not make as much of a difference as it once did...

My surgeons office said NSAIDS were fine in small amounts, but the more you take the higher risk of ulcer. I need them occasionally for my back. And I hate narcotic meds so I refuse to take them because they make me vomit.

7 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

My surgeons office said NSAIDS were fine in small amounts, but the more you take the higher risk of ulcer. I need them occasionally for my back. And I hate narcotic meds so I refuse to take them because they make me vomit.

yea - mine also said they were OK for very occasional use (I'm RNY), but i know not all surgeons agree with that for their RNY patients.. I haven't taken any since I had surgery 5+ years ago.

I can't handle narcotics, either. They give me horrible headaches and nausea. I had them after both my plastic surgeries but gave up after the first day. I'd rather deal with the pain.