Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are my expectations too high?

25 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

Also, I can't exercise due to chronic dizziness and balance issues I developed a few weeks after surgery. My doctor is STILL trying to figure out what's causing it, but she thinks she knows what it is it just comes down to doing the testing to prove her theory. So I could probably have lost a lot faster if not for those issues... so statistical average isn't bad at this point in time.

I had issues with that at about two years out and they did a complete work-up. Everything normal. It was a head-scratcher for sure. But then it got really bad one afternoon about an hour or two after I had a piece of cake at some retirement party at work. My PCP suspects it may have been reactive hypoglycemia - and that my glucose level just happened to be normal at the time of the work-up. Although I'm sure you've been tested for that. I now eat something every three hours or so and always pair a carb (when I eat them) with a Protein. It seems to have worked... But again, not sure what your issue is. I hope they can figure it out!

32 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

Well I have thyroid issues and have already had my meds adjusted twice and I think I need them adjusted again so that's part of why my loss is slower. Also, I can't exercise due to chronic dizziness and balance issues I developed a few weeks after surgery. My doctor is STILL trying to figure out what's causing it, but she thinks she knows what it is it just comes down to doing the testing to prove her theory. So I could probably have lost a lot faster if not for those issues... so statistical average isn't bad at this point in time.

You poor thing! I hope they figure it out. I hope I didn't come across as flippant - as if the results are all up to the individual's commitment. I know there are a range of factors outside your control which can really slow you down. Trust me! Right after my surgery, I got a range of chronic illnesses, one caused painful arthritis so I couldn't move or exercise at all, I was also quite dizzy (which turned out to be a brain lesion) and had some vision issues (uveitis and some other inflammation which was causing migraines). Anyway, while they tried to figure it all out, I was on steroids/prednisone for about 18 months (which is a great way to gain weight quickly) and tried a lot of medications (in and out of hospital for months) for different issues which caused me a ton of side effects.

However, there is always hope, I went on a biologic medication last year (took ages to get approved because it's very expensive) and am finally, finally getting on top of symptoms and figuring out my way forward with a healthy lifestyle and trying to get on top of my mental health. Hopefully, your medical team will figure it out and help you. I know that it gets frustrating because some people seem to have their surgery and BAM hit goal within a few months, whilst others get stuck with a bad deal (whether it's a medical issue or something else). Please know that you're not alone! Make sure that you take care of yourself!

8 minutes ago, LaLaDee said:

You poor thing! I hope they figure it out. I hope I didn't come across as flippant - as if the results are all up to the individual's commitment. I know there are a range of factors outside your control which can really slow you down. Trust me! Right after my surgery, I got a range of chronic illnesses, one caused painful arthritis so I couldn't move or exercise at all, I was also quite dizzy (which turned out to be a brain lesion) and had some vision issues (uveitis and some other inflammation which was causing migraines). Anyway, while they tried to figure it all out, I was on steroids/prednisone for about 18 months (which is a great way to gain weight quickly) and tried a lot of medications (in and out of hospital for months) for different issues which caused me a ton of side effects.

However, there is always hope, I went on a biologic medication last year (took ages to get approved because it's very expensive) and am finally, finally getting on top of symptoms and figuring out my way forward with a healthy lifestyle and trying to get on top of my mental health. Hopefully, your medical team will figure it out and help you. I know that it gets frustrating because some people seem to have their surgery and BAM hit goal within a few months, whilst others get stuck with a bad deal (whether it's a medical issue or something else). Please know that you're not alone! Make sure that you take care of yourself!

I didn't think you came off as flippant at all I was just adding that with my issues the statistic is really the best I can hope for right now. I'm kind of hoping my doctors wrong though because what she thinks I have doesn't have a cure and what can trigger it is major surgery so... it sucks. And I've been on some of the medication that's may help and it did NOTHING! Some people the meds don't help though. I even did physical therapy and it made it worse...

And I'm sorry you had to go through all that! And I'm glad they finally have something that works for you!

25 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I had issues with that at about two years out and they did a complete work-up. Everything normal. It was a head-scratcher for sure. But then it got really bad one afternoon about an hour or two after I had a piece of cake at some retirement party at work. My PCP suspects it may have been reactive hypoglycemia - and that my glucose level just happened to be normal at the time of the work-up. Although I'm sure you've been tested for that. I now eat something every three hours or so and always pair a carb (when I eat them) with a Protein. It seems to have worked... But again, not sure what your issue is. I hope they can figure it out!

I actually refused to take the glucose test because I KNOW it's not that. I've had hypoglycemic incidents in the past and I don't have the right symptoms for it.

My doctor thinks it's Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. She said it fits my symptoms almost exactly (except I haven't fainted, just have my vision black out... a lot). Symptoms for it are:

High/low blood pressure. (I have High Blood Pressure)

High/low heart rate; racing heart rate. (Have tachycardia i.e. high heart rate and racing heart)

Chest pain. (occasionally have when my heart rate is too high)

Dizziness/lightheadedness especially in standing up, prolonged standing in one position, or long walks. (DEFINTELY HAVE. I also can't walk right when it hits and kinda walk like a drunk. I've actually lost my balance several times)

Fainting or near-fainting. (vision blacks out and is considered near fainting)

Exhaustion/fatigue. (yes, to both)

Abdominal pain and bloating, nausea. (have had on and off issues with all three)

Temperature deregulation (hot or cold). (my room is cold, but I keep complaining about being hot, but my feet are freezing)

Nervous, jittery feeling. (randomly happens)

Forgetfulness and trouble focusing (brain fog). (soooo bad right now! I feel so old with how bad my brain is acting)

Blurred vision. (this symptom can actually be caused by my Vitamin A deficiency so not sure if it's this or that)

Headaches and body pain/aches (may feel flu-like); neck pain. (horrible headaches that don't want to go away)

Insomnia and frequent awakenings from sleep, chest pain and racing heart rate during sleep, excessive sweating. (yes to the insomnia and the frequent awakenings, but no to the others)

Shakiness/tremors especially with adrenaline surges. (rare. It has happened but only when I got randomly anxious for some unknown reason)

Discoloration of feet and hands. (my toe nails are blue, but not my fingernails. My toes also have a purplish cast)

Exercise intolerance. (I get sooooo dizzy when I try and exercise)

Excessive or lack of sweating. (I don't really sweat anymore so lack, I guess)

Diarrhea and/or Constipation. (my surgery can cause this issue so... not sure if it's this or that)

Ok, I’m a sucker for calculators. I’ll play:

B0A59090-BEEC-479E-A7AB-A5E4F2210F4D.jpeg.ad60be2c60b2ebc0ffa23af2248d2c92.jpeg

I got to the “year 1” predicted weight at just over 3 months post-op. I’ve read accounts of others who had similar weight loss rates as well. I’ve also read of others who took a little longer. And still others who lost way more and those that lost way less.

The best predictor of weight loss and successful maintenance (barring any complications) is YOU. Your level of commitment and adherence to your plan will tell you everything about how you will fare. It may take “longer” that you want (or shorter!), but keep doing what is working (and adjust when needed), and we all basically get to the same place eventually.

Good Luck!

P.S. Try not to stress too, too much. Stress and its effects is not conducive to weight loss. I know, easier said, but it’s something to think about. ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

Interesting using that calculator and everyone responses to what it says you should have weighed 1 year out. Seems like everyone did way better than it calculated.. that is optimistic.

It says I will reach my goal (135 lbs) after 1 year.. I am almost 3 months out and I have 23 lbs to go. I am losing pretty slowly... 2 lbs a week'ish, so I was hoping I'd be at my goal by December... but I think it is feasible.

1 hour ago, Lanie992 said:

Interesting using that calculator and everyone responses to what it says you should have weighed 1 year out. Seems like everyone did way better than it calculated.. that is optimistic.

It says I will reach my goal (135 lbs) after 1 year.. I am almost 3 months out and I have 23 lbs to go. I am losing pretty slowly... 2 lbs a week'ish, so I was hoping I'd be at my goal by December... but I think it is feasible.

some people would say that people who are really tied into the bariatric community - like participating on these boards and/or active in support groups - tend to do better than average, so that might be part of it. I'm still active in the community at five years out because it keeps my head in the game and keeps me (mostly) on track, and I'm sure that's the case with a lot of people who are regulars on here. That kind of thing can make a difference.

11 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

some people would say that people who are really tied into the bariatric community - like participating on these boards and/or active in support groups - tend to do better than average, so that might be part of it. I'm still active in the community at five years out because it keeps my head in the game and keeps me (mostly) on track, and I'm sure that's the case with a lot of people who are regulars on here. That kind of thing can make a difference.

I was thinking about that earlier. It probably does really help you stay centered... and if you do get it off track, it will help to get back on target. I definitely plan to continue on this website like you do. My plan is once I get to my goal - I will have a certain weight limit to not creep up to again. And will start working to lose again. Maybe 5-10 lbs above my goal weight? That is how I am planning it now. One step at a time though. I got to get to my goal first.

Edited by Lanie992

7 minutes ago, Lanie992 said:

I was thinking about that earlier. It probably does really help you stay centered... and if you do get it off track, it will help to get back on target. I definitely plan to continue on this website like you do. My plan is once I get to my goal - I will have a certain weight limit to not creep up to again. And will start working to lose again. Maybe 5-10 lbs above my goal weight? That is how I am planning it now. One step at a time though. I got to get to my goal first.

that's what I do. I have a range and if I get up over my limit, it's all hands on deck until I get back under it again.

I’m 6’1” and was 410 lbs and am now 270
2 years out and I am sure if I worked more on it I could be in the lower 200s easily, it’s all what you put into it, what you want you can Achieve by just applying and never say never!! You got this