Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet - Happened So Fast!

Hey everyone,

Newbie here. On Friday, I got a call saying that my surgery is scheduled for 8/19 - if I wanted it to be - so I booked it. Of course, that was actually perfect timing (workwise it fits great with my schedule), but I feel like I had NO notice. No time to prepare, no time to get a few things out of my system (like a trip to my favorite seafood restaurant, etc.). I'm not big on pigging out, so that wasn't my intention, but I had to start the pre-op diet immediately and did so on Saturday. Now, it's a GORGEOUS day here in Chicago and I'd love nothing more than to sit outside and enjoy a raspberry lemonade with a splash of vodka (I'm not a big drinker either, but that's something I enjoy on a nice day). In some ways, I feel like I'm depriving myself. The diet I'm on is pretty strict in my opinion (tho I know others have it worse) - only certain plain, raw veggies, 5 Ensure High Protein Shakes, and 64oz. Water a day. That's it - I can't even so much as use salt or pepper on the veggies. I know I want to go thru with this surgery, but now I feel like I'm kind of rushing it. On the other hand, I feel like I should just push thru and get it over with. I'm also worried because I see all these posts about people not losing as much as they expect to. I'm currently 5'5", 227, BMI is 36. I'm already down 4lbs. since Saturday just eating the way I am. Please tell me this gets easier!

Hi! Who is Chicago is doing your surgery? That's where I had mine done :). The sameeee thing happened to me, originally I was scheduled 7/20..well on July 9th they called and asked if I wanted to take a 7/13 opening they had...took it! lol. But yes, I felt as if I had no time to prepare either. Did they give a specific reason on why you can't season things? For me, I seasoned broth because I couldn't stomach it. I'm now 28 days out and feeling good. I'm officially down 20, which makes me even happier! Things do get easier, but there will be moments that you say "wtf did i do" lol, for me that was primarily right after surgery (I hated those gas pains). All will be well though!!

3 hours ago, LAJ23 said:

Hey everyone,

Newbie here. On Friday, I got a call saying that my surgery is scheduled for 8/19 - if I wanted it to be - so I booked it. Of course, that was actually perfect timing (workwise it fits great with my schedule), but I feel like I had NO notice. No time to prepare, no time to get a few things out of my system (like a trip to my favorite seafood restaurant, etc.). I'm not big on pigging out, so that wasn't my intention, but I had to start the pre-op diet immediately and did so on Saturday. Now, it's a GORGEOUS day here in Chicago and I'd love nothing more than to sit outside and enjoy a raspberry lemonade with a splash of vodka (I'm not a big drinker either, but that's something I enjoy on a nice day). In some ways, I feel like I'm depriving myself. The diet I'm on is pretty strict in my opinion (tho I know others have it worse) - only certain plain, raw veggies, 5 Ensure High Protein Shakes, and 64oz. Water a day. That's it - I can't even so much as use salt or pepper on the veggies. I know I want to go thru with this surgery, but now I feel like I'm kind of rushing it. On the other hand, I feel like I should just push thru and get it over with. I'm also worried because I see all these posts about people not losing as much as they expect to. I'm currently 5'5", 227, BMI is 36. I'm already down 4lbs. since Saturday just eating the way I am. Please tell me this gets easier!

You really need to be 150% mentally prepared for this major life change...

If you go into surgery half heartedly and give in to temptations of course you will not lost weight..

3 hours ago, LAJ23 said:

Please tell me this gets easier!

I thought the pre-op diet was the hardest part of the whole thing - so yes, it does get easier!

You can do this!!! Whenever people talk about "food funerals" I just reminded myself that the last 5 years of my life was a food funeral. I ate so much crap that I was finally sick of it.

Good luck!!!

20 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

You can do this!!! Whenever people talk about "food funerals" I just reminded myself that the last 5 years of my life was a food funeral. I ate so much crap that I was finally sick of it.

Good luck!!!

So true.

A little backstory... My entire life, until I was 29 and got pregnant, I was a very fit, athletic size 4. When I got preggo, I gained almost 100lbs, had gestational diabetes, toxemia, and other issues. A few months after my son was born, I found out I had lupus, and the pregnancy "activated" it. Since then, I've had a terrible time trying to lose weight due to extreme fatigue and joint pain. So, my issue isn't with food and overeating, it's lack of exercise and the excess weight doesn't help. After trying WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and everything else the last 15-20 years, it's come down to surgery. I've been advised to get the weight off and that will get the ball rolling so I can start working out again. I didn't really consider going to a seafood restaurant "food funeral" (actually never heard that term! 🙂), but rather a place I just wanted to go before I couldn't go there anymore. I was told by my dietician that often crab can no longer be tolerated...one of my faves. 😞

37 minutes ago, LAJ23 said:

I was told by my dietician that often crab can no longer be tolerated...one of my faves. 😞

haven't heard that one before - although intolerances are pretty common early out. Once people are out a ways, they can tolerate most things. I haven't tried crab since I had surgery (in fact, I haven't had it in years), but the only thing I can't eat at this point (at least that I know of) is a really fatty meal (e.g., a Reuben sandwich - or a fish fry (with breaded or battered fish filets and a side of fries). I like both, but.....my stomach does not!)