Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kelly Lake said:

Im 8 days postop & I know my appetite is 100% mental, I am trying to watch things on streaming tv that don't involve food or ppl eating lol. It only takes one stupid food commercial and I'm sadly missing my old friend the grub hub app (which I deleted two weeks before surgery) lol. I can only tell you what my counselor told me, to ask ppl NOT to order delivery food, if they do eat something you would normally want to do it in another room, I am lucky enough to have my entire family of 3 other adults trying to get healthier currently too and eating healthy foods but still not around me lol. I don't wanna even see solid food yet. I have a large food addiction, not to overeating portions so much but to eating really unhealthy foods 4 to 6 times a day. When I broke my back 4 yrs ago I lost a lot of mobility and began eating for comfort and boredom to the tune of 100 lbs gained. I have battled my weight my entire life with huge losses of over 120 lbs multiple times. At 47 with such pain & decreased mobility surgery was the recommendation of my back surgeon as my back is inoperable. I wish you the best of luck, & you'll know if your hunger is mental, just see how physically hungry you feel just after waking up when you know your stomach is empty vs 15 min later after you drink something with protien in it. PS the protien will help you feel fuller longer & helps stop the cravings too :)

I struggle with the visuals of food too. Doing the same as you with television and It seems to help a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had surgery on 28th of August. 3 hour surgery. Dr told my husband he repaired a haital hernia he found beside the gastric bypass procedure. Was on Strict NPO till x ray next day to show no leaks. Gave me liquids and tolerated it. At first I forgot about taking small sips, luckily I did not have any effect but could feel the liquid bubbling so I stopped drinking. I walked and deep breath on incentive spirameter to avoid pneumonia and to open up my lungs. No pain, but had abdominal discomfort. Gas pass and felt relieved each time. Now on my 4th day, sipping liquid slowly , but I notice my new tummy likes liquid green smoothie so I named my new tummy Greenie. I have no appetite and smell of food does not bother me. But little Greenie does not like too much liquid at one time. Abdominal discomfort is decreasing each day. Started with weight 200 lbs, today 185 lbs. I am making sure my liquids are Bariatric shakes with Protein and I sip all day long. Thus far little Greenie likes it. Vitamins are Patches from BariatricPal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Napua said:

Had surgery on 28th of August. 3 hour surgery. Dr told my husband he repaired a haital hernia he found beside the gastric bypass procedure. Was on Strict NPO till x ray next day to show no leaks. Gave me liquids and tolerated it. At first I forgot about taking small sips, luckily I did not have any effect but could feel the liquid bubbling so I stopped drinking. I walked and deep breath on incentive spirameter to avoid pneumonia and to open up my lungs. No pain, but had abdominal discomfort. Gas pass and felt relieved each time. Now on my 4th day, sipping liquid slowly , but I notice my new tummy likes liquid green smoothie so I named my new tummy Greenie. I have no appetite and smell of food does not bother me. But little Greenie does not like too much liquid at one time. Abdominal discomfort is decreasing each day. Started with weight 200 lbs, today 185 lbs. I am making sure my liquids are Bariatric shakes with Protein and I sip all day long. Thus far little Greenie likes it. Vitamins are Patches from BariatricPal.

I also had mine the 28th. The smell of food is pleasant but I don't feel like Id have room to eat anything so bloated from Water and shakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad it went well I have my surgery this coming Tuesday and hope it goes well also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had my Gastric Bypass Monday, August 31 and today was the first day I could actually sip a little Water. I was in an awful lot of pain in the recovery room. I was sick and it felt like a knife was stuck in my chest. I was in recovery a while as my heart went into AFib. Needless to say I am now home and it’s still painful to sip water. I’ve been walking and the gas seems to be subsiding. I pray things get better soon. 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 27- unable to get past purée stage. I’m stuck. I cannot eat chicken, shrimp, tofu or eggplant. I tried to eat fish without yogurt and it got stuck. Threw up twice today. I’m okay with drinking Protein Drinks, pudding, blended Soups, mashed potatoes. I’m also drinking herbal tea. I feel a bit depressed that I cannot eat any solid food. I guess I am a slow healer. Also very constipated which is making me miserable. Trying a little Miralax in my tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble. Hopefully in time your body will heal and become our “new normal”! Good luck! 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doctor told me the bypass is like a drainage system with a very small opening. I have been taking very little sips of liquids. I see the liquid draining through the system smoothly. This way, I am able to take in the liquid. I avoid dehydration, constipation, etc. I do the same thing with unsweetened apple sauce on day 9. Got tomatoe Soup at panera bread and sip the soup. tolerated it well. No pain, no discomfort. When I took bigger sips, I had a hard time with liquid intake. This works for me with little sips. Good luck with your journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, perfektlynrml said:

Day 27- unable to get past purée stage. I’m stuck. I cannot eat chicken, shrimp, tofu or eggplant. I tried to eat fish without yogurt and it got stuck. Threw up twice today. I’m okay with drinking Protein Drinks, pudding, blended Soups, mashed potatoes. I’m also drinking herbal tea. I feel a bit depressed that I cannot eat any solid food. I guess I am a slow healer. Also very constipated which is making me miserable. Trying a little Miralax in my tea.

I feel your pain. I still struggle sometimes with solid Proteins. At exactly two months post-op I threw up some chicken breast. I have to eat solid Protein very slowly. Fish like scallops and fresh salmon (not overcooked) definitely went down better in the first month along with refried Beans. I also tolerated meat substitutes better than meats the first month. Basically, if the meat is somewhat dry, it is uncomfortable to eat. It does continue to get better. Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. I’m the OP and I am giving an update. I’ve been traveling back and forth to visit my daughter due to her having pregnancy issues. I have been managing well despite being away from home. I purchased a shoulder bag cooler which I take when I travel or to work. I keep Bariatric friendly Snacks in it such as applesauce, Premier Protein drinks and chicken salad snack kits. I also carry Water or no sugar added coconut water. I switched to Bariatric Fusion Vitamins for convenience. Less bottles to carry. I feel good with the exception of an attack of sciatica. I’ve had a few episodes of regurgitated food when trying new items. I continue to use hot tea to help relax the pouch when I feel overly distended. My weight continues to drop slowly. It’s not a predictable rate but rather drops in spurts. I’m not logging my food but rather eating instinctually. I make a mental note to keep an eye on my Protein intake and I do have at least one shake a day. I’ve started have green juices every other day to boost my health. My menstrual cycle has resumed due to the weight loss. I thought for sure I was in menopause. Hubby is acting like a hound and chasing me around the house. 😆 I feel much better overall and I love being able to walk without losing my breath. I’m climbing stairs with ease and I felt good enough to buy a full length mirror. I haven’t had one in years. Sometimes I get head hunger, especially when I am stressed. My go to snack is sugar free Jello pudding mix and fat free lactaid. I crumble a graham cracker on top and sometimes a bit of whipped cream. It helps me with my sweet tooth. I also find that egg drop Soup goes down easy. I have that when I want salty Taste with soy sauce. If anyone has questions, ask away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, RHONDY MCALLISTER said:

I just had my Gastric Bypass Monday, August 31 and today was the first day I could actually sip a little Water. I was in an awful lot of pain in the recovery room. I was sick and it felt like a knife was stuck in my chest. I was in recovery a while as my heart went into AFib. Needless to say I am now home and it’s still painful to sip Water. I’ve been walking and the gas seems to be subsiding. I pray things get better soon. 😩

How are you doing now that sounds pretty rough🦋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×