Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any foods that still ( or recently ) make you sick ?

Just wondering.... are there any foods that still ( or all of a sudden ) make you barf ?

I ask because I am like 10 years out from a sleeve and the last two times I tried to eat some ( skinny pop ) popcorn..... it came right back up on me. I haven't had that happen in a long time. The first time, I thought, that I probably over ate popcorn; which had been a slider for me.... but then I decided to have some today .... like a month later.... and that did NOT work out well.

So... I was wondering have any of you Vets had this experience with anything ?

Almost 6 years out and still can't eat spaghetti squash. It doesn't make me vomit, but the pain is ridiculous. So odd. I've tried it 3x over the years and finally had to give up.

I haven't had scrambled eggs in 9 years, they come right back up. Over easy, fine, soft boiled, also fine. Hard boiled, iffy. Also (and I think this is so odd) I can eat Pasta if it's just been boiled, but as leftovers the next day, even with more Water or sauce added? Coming right back up. White meat chicken is a no-go, even with sauce. Salmon and tuna, nope. bread balls up in my stomach and then swells up and hurts. Toast is okay. I can eat popcorn if I want, but I'm more of a chip person.

I was converted to bypass a month ago for GERD and egg salad has been my friend. I'm wanting to try scrambled eggs but I'm a little afraid. Also I'd like to try a sandwich. Maybe next month.

just over five years out. At this point the only thing I consistently can't eat are really fatty meals. When I was pre-op, my husband and I used to go out for Friday night fish fries once or twice a month. You know those things - two or three pieces of breaded and fried fish, a stack of French fries, some cole slaw (i.e., mayo...), and a roll with butter. A meal like that would have me in the bathroom vomiting for sure. I could maybe eat a half a piece of fried fish now. Anything else with that would have to be something like non-starchy vegetables.

also - falafel. I love falafel, but I can have maybe half a one - or maybe a whole one if it's small. Beyond that, no. Again, it's the fried thing. Same with reuben sandwiches. I love them, but....fat. Sometimes I can tolerate half of one, sometimes not. At any rate, a whole reuben will have me in the bathroom vomiting.

Interesting what "works" and what won't. White meat chicken has to have some kind of "sauce" for me too - chicken salad works - and I live on tuna salad (mayo and or mashed avocado) for lunches at work. And Spaghetti squash ? What if you cut it in short lengths ? is that it ?

The Protein Bar I usually eat a couple of times each week did it earlier this week. Pressure in my stomach, vertigo, pain across my rib cage, hot flush & so wanted to vomit to relieve the pressure but didn’t. Tentatively ate one last night & no problem. Our stomachs just like to keep us on our toes.

I'm 2.5 years out and I can honestly say that nothing has made me barf. Very early on, say in the 1st 3 months, rice or anything "doughy" like bread/pasta/noodles gave me the foamies. Other than that, nada.

However, I do get a little nauseated and just don't feel good if I have something with a very high concentration of sugar. Say...fudge. I can eat 1 cookie, a small piece of cake (very low/no icing) or pie, but if I have something that's extra rich/decadent, I get a sugar dump of sorts (not dumping syndrome) that makes me deeply regret the indulgence for about an hour.

Once in a while, I do have something that hurts a bit going down. It's not anything specific. I usually chalk it up to not chewing well enough, eating too fast, or plain eating too much.

Excess sugar gets me almost every time (especially on an empty stomach)

At 6 years post VSG the only thing that does it for me is that perfect storm of high fat/high sugar. So as long as I remain in ketosis I'm perfectly fine. I tried some regular ice cream a few times over the last couple years and every time I get late dumping syndrome...

The foamies? I get that but what causes it. First I heard the term was just now. I know 5 plus years... I just that it was extra .. is there a cause.

42 minutes ago, Stella S said:

The foamies? I get that but what causes it. First I heard the term was just now. I know 5 plus years... I just that it was extra .. is there a cause.

I've gotten them occasionally - it's always been when I overeat.

2 years out cannot eat Breakfast sausage [emoji1785]

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

17 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Anything fast food. Haven't even tried it, it smells SO disgusting. I don't know how people eat it - it makes me wanna throw up just for the smell of it.

The smell of spicy food aggravated me before but it is so much worse now. Walked through a food court last week & thought I’d be physically sick from the smell of curry & ramen.

On 8/19/2020 at 4:10 AM, MsMocie said:

Anything fast food. Haven't even tried it, it smells SO disgusting. I don't know how people eat it - it makes me wanna throw up just for the smell of it.

Depends on the type of fast food...i’m assuming you mean fried, greasy stuff?

For me, I loooove the smell, lol! (And even just looking at it!) But when it comes down to actually eating it, more often than not, its more, um, no thanks.

I think my fascination with food moved across my senses: from taste/eating to smelling/looking. Weird.

I also love to cook, which I don’t even eat. Weird, again.

Edited by ms.sss

I'm 3 years out from the vsg and I can't eat mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs or anything spicy.