Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done the sleeve or bypass for non-weight related reasons? I did it for my severe asthma. I haven’t taken my inhaler since the day before I went in for surgery and I’m 5 weeks out. I feel like it’s extremely difficult to stick to my meal plans because I never had a food problem before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry if I'm misreading your post. Are you saying that you do or do not want to lose weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, they're saying at 5'2" and SW of 232 that they have never had food problems. Not to be overly blunt, but barring metabolic/ thyroid etc. conditions or mobility issues, that's unlikely true. I'm not saying this to be mean, and I'm not calling you a liar either, I want you to succeed and get healthy. (Like I want for myself and everyone here!) Serious introspection and self-awareness is key to both short and long term success. I suggest talking to your Dr.'s nutritionist and psychologist to get your head properly in the game and help you overcome your present and future challenges on this journey, because that's where the real battle is. I'm very glad your asthma has cleared up. I think a lot of us do it and commit to it for health reasons (but divorcing that from the underlying weight issue that caused or exacerbated them isn't usual.)

You don't need to be a food addict to have food problems, e.g.: comfort / emotional eating, boredom eating, grazing, chronic unhealthy choices, overdoing carbs, depression, habitual consumption of sugary foods and drinks (candy, pastries, sugared soda, juice, fruit smoothies), lots of fried foods or fast food, accidentally/ unconsciously overeating while watching TV, eating late at night or right before bed, eating until you're full (or even stuffed) instead of to when you're satisfied etc. I think you'll find that everyone here has had at least a couple of these and are doing a lot of head work to overcome it and stick to their food plan. And it's not one size/ one way fits all either. What works for me is actually a stricter (than the Dr.'s) regime 6 days per week with 1 "cheat day." What works for my mom is a set protocols/ diet that she doesn't deviate from because she will completely fall off the wagon if she has any indulgence. I think if you look at your history, you'll find that maybe you do have at least one of the issues I mentioned (barring health/ mobility conditions- and if that is the case I apologize for this rant.) We're all here for you to help you succeed on your journey. So is your Dr.'s team.

***I know if you look at my stats, I look like I'm full of it, but this isn't my first journey, and I only started my (pre-op) diet 34 days ago, losing 12 lbs. My story is on my profile, but in short I'm here due to a combination of sudden severe mobility issues leading to a couple of the above. I previously lost and maintained a 95lbs weight loss for years without surgery. The surgery is just a tool, the hard work is up to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gained weight from the steroids and prednisone and other medications I was on for my lungs for 4 years. When I met with my nutritionist she told me that I would only need to worry about making sure I eat enough because of the portion changes. I often don’t eat meals and just snack healthy throughout the day. Just the readjustment of timing was their only concern for me.
My head is in the right place and my psychologist cleared me after our first appointment but still had me go to my second one for insurance purposes. I did it for other medically necessary needs and am just finding it hard to force myself to keep eating when I am not hungry but am scheduled to do so.

I used to get winded walking or even rolling over in bed because my lungs were so weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cmac1mcB said:

I gained weight from the steroids and prednisone and other medications I was on for my lungs for 4 years. When I met with my nutritionist she told me that I would only need to worry about making sure I eat enough because of the portion changes. I often don’t eat meals and just snack healthy throughout the day. Just the readjustment of timing was their only concern for me.
My head is in the right place and my psychologist cleared me after our first appointment but still had me go to my second one for insurance purposes. I did it for other medically necessary needs and am just finding it hard to force myself to keep eating when I am not hungry but am scheduled to do so.

I used to get winded walking or even rolling over in bed because my lungs were so weak.

So you are having WLS to lose weight.

Non weight reasons would be things like stomach cancer

Best of luck ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/25/2020 at 16:45, GreenTealael said:






So you are having WLS to lose weight.




Non weight reasons would be things like stomach cancer




Best of luck ❤


No. I did it for my lungs. It was mentioned above about gaining weight due to bad food habits. Which I had none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, cmac1mcB said:

No. I did it for my lungs. It was mentioned above about gaining weight due to bad food habits. Which I had none.

Ok. Best of luck on your lung rehabilitation journey ❤

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^^^^^^^^^

Not a spam bot but definitely a bot! Was one yesterday with almost the same message but a different user name.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

^^^^^^^^^

Not a spam bot but definitely a bot! Was one yesterday with almost the same message but a different user name.

So Ridiculous 😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t need to have a food problem to need WLS. With the death of my daughter, I gained 100lbs in a span of 4 years. I chose the surgery so I could be healthier for my remaining children. But if your doctor recommended WLS, then they believe weight/food is a factor with your lung health. It’s great to hear the asthma has decreased with the surgery. Work with your nutritionist/dietician to explore these new meal portions. Suzi gave great guidance - acknowledge is part of the healing process and long-term success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

So Ridiculous 😒

Thankfully the bot posts are being removed fairly quickly, but they do leave behind unexplained and posts that don't make sense, from now on I shall report but not comment :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Thankfully the bot posts are being removed fairly quickly, but they do leave behind unexplained and posts that don't make sense, from now on I shall report but not comment :)

I need to do the same 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

07/27/2020 10:40 AM, Hop_Scotch said:



^^^^^^^^^




Not a spam bot but definitely a bot! Was one yesterday with almost the same message but a different user name.


I’m not a bot. I literally downloaded this app less than a week ago and this was my first post. Way to be rude tho. 👌🏼

I may not have fully explained because I know there are many other reasons to needing the surgery besides weight loss. It helps with many other health concerns. I didn’t specify mine in the main post because I wanted to know other people’s stories who did it other than for weight loss. Mine is because I had lung problems, asthma, early onset signs of copd, esophageal and stomach bleeds that required surgery to stop and recover from. I haven’t finished setting up my profile with my full story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, cmac1mcB said:

I’m not a bot. I literally downloaded this app less than a week ago and this was my first post. Way to be rude tho. 👌🏼

I may not have fully explained because I know there are many other reasons to needing the surgery besides weight loss. It helps with many other health concerns. I didn’t specify mine in the main post because I wanted to know other people’s stories who did it other than for weight loss. Mine is because I had lung problems, asthma, early onset signs of copd, esophageal and stomach bleeds that required surgery to stop and recover from. I haven’t finished setting up my profile with my full story.

It wasn't you I was referring to lol, admin have removed the offending posts from here and other threads.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, cmac1mcB said:

I’m not a bot. I literally downloaded this app less than a week ago and this was my first post. Way to be rude tho. 👌🏼

I may not have fully explained because I know there are many other reasons to needing the surgery besides weight loss. It helps with many other health concerns. I didn’t specify mine in the main post because I wanted to know other people’s stories who did it other than for weight loss. Mine is because I had lung problems, asthma, early onset signs of copd, esophageal and stomach bleeds that required surgery to stop and recover from. I haven’t finished setting up my profile with my full story.

I had WLS to correct a rare-ish neurological condition that was believed to be exacerbated by obesity. I could call my WLS an off brand therapy for my Neuro condition but personally I'd be splitting hairs.

Prior to the development of the neuro condition, I was relatively healthy for an obese person (no precursors of common obesity related comorbidities). But that flipped completely over a few weeks. When brain surgery or WLS were the modalities of treatment, I chose the latter.

I have only seen miniscule improvements in the Neuro aspect but holistically I am better without the excess weight and the likelihood that I will develop the obesity comorbidities are significantly reduced if my weight stays within optimal range, especially if I don't have genetic and environmental catalyst.

Still, good luck with your journey

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×