Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on June 17, it's been almost 3 weeks, I don't have pain, just soreness, no nausea, had a bad 1st bowel, but ok since, and have eaten a small amount of potato and Beans. Looking at my list I should still be on liquids, I don't have my follow up for another 5 days.

My question is, do I stay on liquid or should I start testing foods. I still eat very little, but I was nervous I might be doing something wrong. Any advice would help. I also have energy for exercise--i know the restrictions, are there any light workouts post op. Also aside from beans, potato, and applesauce, is there anything else you all recommend?

Thanks

Sorry for being a noob

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using BariatricPal mobile app

I’d stick with the liquid diet. It doesn’t sound like you’re getting much Protein? I was doing mostly Protein Shakes on liquid, plus unflavored Protein Powder mixed into strained cream Soups. 60 grams of protein per day was the goal from my nutritionist.

My fave puree was ricotta cheese. Made it "sweet" by adding a little vanilla extract, made it "savory" with some Tomato sauce and baked it. I still eat it pretty often!

I am starting week 3 and am hoping to add back some lentils/beans and maybe some riced cauliflower. I am craving real food, but so far the only real food I have had is string cheese. My plan calls for soft foods starting week 3, which includes oatmeal, soft cheeses, canned tuna or chicken, Beans, and soft cooked veggies so I think you’re fine. Good to hear that you were able to eat beans though. I haven’t had any issues keeping things down so far, but I do find that I can take in a fair amount of “slider foods” so just trying to be careful and go slowly. I hope the restriction will start to kick in soon as I move on to real food.

Edited by angryspice

2 hours ago, evelynlorena27 said:

My question is, do I stay on liquid or should I start testing foods. I still eat very little, but I was nervous I might be doing something wrong. Any advice would help. I also have energy for exercise--i know the restrictions, are there any light workouts post op. Also aside from Beans, potato, and applesauce, is there anything else you all recommend?

What type of surgery did you have?

I had the sleeve surgery, and I was allowed to start soft food after 1 week: eggs, cottage cheese, beans, chicken. I couldn't get much of that down so I'd have something like that during the day, and the rest of the day would be Protein Drinks. I'm now on week 5 and still doing soft foods, but more of that and less of the Protein drinks. It really does seem to vary from doctor to doctor. But, for my doctor, you didn't go wrong with the beans. I think the potatoes aren't as good because they'll fill you up, and you won't be getting protein.

After 10 days post OP I went from liquids to puree.

Liquids: shakes, sugar free or fat free versions of pudding, Jello, popsicles, Soup broth, gatorade, yogurt, milk.
Puree: eggs, melted cheese or string cheese, mashed potatoes, bananas, Peanut Butter, applesauce, lean ground meats like turkey, and cooked carrots.

Cheese and potatoes are not foods you want to plan to eat everyday in your future diet plan. The Puree stage is short so I had one string cheese stick everyday. I only had mashed potatoes once.

After 10 days post OP I went from liquids to puree.
Liquids: shakes, sugar free or fat free versions of pudding, Jello, popsicles, Soup broth, gatorade, yogurt, milk.
Puree: eggs, melted cheese or string cheese, mashed potatoes, bananas, Peanut Butter, applesauce, lean ground meats like turkey, and cooked carrots.
Cheese and potatoes are not foods you want to plan to eat everyday in your future diet plan. The Puree stage is short so I had one string cheese stick everyday. I only had mashed potatoes once.

What kind of string cheese!? I can do [emoji529] due to doc restrictions. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using BariatricPal mobile app

It seems different surgeons recommend different progressions through the stages. Mine was two weeks on liquids, two on purées (think thick sludgy liquids) & two weeks on soft foods (think mushy) but with the advice to step back a stage if I experienced difficulties at each new stage. Your tummy will soon tell you if it’s not ready (healed enough) to tolerate denser foods.

Did your surgeon or dietician give you a list of foods to eat at each stage? I followed the recommended food lists very closely. If they didn’t, give them a call & ask for some advice.

Go slowly. You are healing. Don’t push yourself through a stage just because you’re craving specific foods.

Hope your recovery continues to go well for you.

Surgeons seem to have big differences in their recommended post-op diet. I was one week Clear Liquids, one week full liquids, one week purees, one week soft, then normal.

I really enjoyed adding yogurt and cottage cheese at the puree stage. Egg drop Soup is a good way to eat an egg before you get to the soft stage. Not a whole lot of high Protein foods out there to choose from!

did your clinic give you a food plan? They can vary quite a lot between surgeons. I was on purees when I left the hospital and moved into soft foods after two or three weeks, I think (it's been awhile), but some people are in liquids the first couple of weeks and then move to purees.

I'd call the clinic if possible and ask them. Or wait until your follow-up appt and see what they say.

Follow the plan don't be in a rush to move to solids because your weight will slow down