Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency Band Removal

I was banded 7 yrs ago and was able to lose all my weight and keep it off. No problems and I was feeling pretty good. Over the last 4 months I started having more heartburn and coughing at night. No vomiting or gagging. I was a True Results patient and the site here closed down few years back. I never had Bariatric coverage on my recent insurance plans so I never went for follow up. I didn’t have issues and felt good .

2 days ago woke up with severe upper abdominal pain and vomiting. It felt like stomach spasms. My band was cutting off blood flow and no fluids would go down. We decided on emergency band removal. My esophagus was inflamed and swollen, I never felt much pain . I blamed heartburn on eating later etc.my stomach was distended.

Im relieved we caught it but I will miss it.Is that weird? I’ve been pretty successful but I always knew the band was there, like a backup. I’m afraid I will gain weight. I went from about 275 to 165-170. Not small but I’m happy for my height 5’7”. I’m feeling stupid for panicking 2 days post op.

Glad you are OK, that is pretty scary.

First let me say, you did amazing with the band! I know exactly where you are. I had my hand removed for similar reasons back in March. I was dependent upon the band for restriction as well. I knew it was there and I hadn’t lost any more weight but I hadn’t gained either. I knew I would miss my band. While I never made it to goal, I have kept off roughly 65 pounds. I had my band for 8 years. Don’t feel stupid. Know that you can keep it off on your own. The last three months I have started working out more and watching what I eat. (In full disclosure I will be having VSG done soon.) You can do this.

Hopefully after seven years of life with your band you have learned good eating habits and Portion Control. As long as you continue to eat the same things you have been you shouldn't gain weight just because your band is gone. You are going to have to be super diligent not to eat larger portions just because you can. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!