Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op Appointment with surgeon at Kaiser by Video- what should I expect

Hi I am going through the Kaiser options program in Southern California and completed all my classes and labs while I was taking the classes. The referral to the surgeon was sent on Thursday and I received a call Friday to speak the Surgeon for the first time next Friday the 26 by video call. I’m wondering what I should expect. Will my date be set? It is with Dr. Mun in South Bay-Harbor City Kaiser . Are there additional requirements that will need to be completed following this before the appointment is set ? Thank you all for your support!

Hi! No you should be done all your requirements for your surgery. Where you required to speak to a psychiatrist? I had to do that before my surgery just to make sure they knew what I was getting myself into. So with that being said, you will meet your surgeon and they probably just have some quick questions and to see if you have any questions before the big day. The surgeon doesn't usually set the date, so I don't think you will be told when your surgery is.

if you've finished all the requirements of your clinic and your insurance policy, the surgeon may just want to meet with you so you can meet him/her in person and also see if you have any remaining questions. I had a brief meeting with my surgeon at this point as well. In fact, it may have been the only time I met with him 1:1 before the morning of my surgery.

Hi, I’m going through Kaiser too. I’m in San Diego. Down here the protocol once done with 12 week classes is second set of labs, then appointment with psychologist, then appointment with surgeon, and then that department will submit to my insurance for approval. Once I get approval it will say if I get a Kaiser surgeon or a Scripps Surgeon. Kaiser is contracted with Pacific Bariatrics through Scripps Mercy. I have already done majority of steps but I’m waiting on my last appointment with the psychologist so I can finally meet with the surgeon. I’m almost there!
How did your appointment go?

I'm with Kaiser in Nor Cal. I met with my surgeon the first time after the orientation, but before my other requirements so not sure if the program is different. After my first meeting with my surgeon he set a weight loss goal for me, and told me to call back when I was within 5 lbs of that goal. It was only at that time that the final requirements were given (psych visit, EKG, etc...) Those were done once my surgery was scheduled so they were close. We then had 1 last meeting 2 weeks before surgery to answer any questions I may have had.