Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hi everyone

So I have questions about the Gastric Bypass Surgery

1. Do you need to take a lot of vitamins

2. Does your hair fall out

3. what is dumping

4. do you have to chew your food a certain number of times in order for you to eat it

5. can you drink Water with your food?

6. how long is recovery time from the surgery

7. how much weight can you lose in the first month?

8. what foods are you NOT allowed to eat

Thanks so much SW 410 CW 410 GW 140

13 minutes ago, HeatherWillLose34 said:

It's not lots of Vitamins, but you will daily supplement with a multi Vitamin, extra B12 and calcium

Many people experience Hair loss around three months out, but it will grow back.

3. what is dumping

Dumping is your body's reaction to food that is too high in sugar or fat. Since the food goes fairly quickly into your small intestine your body will try to "dilute" it out by moving Water from your body into your intestines. It results in dizziness, fatigue, faintness and sometimes nausea and diarrhea. Not everyone dumps. I like it because I'm not tempted to eat sugary stuff because I'm afraid to experience dumping.

4. do you have to chew your food a certain number of times in order for you to eat it

Not a certain number of times, but you want it well chewed before you swallow it. This slows down your eating so your brain gets the message you are full before you overeat.

No, it will wash the food through your pouch so you lose the feeling of fullness and satiety too quickly. This is true of every WLS. It's not hard to learn, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

That varies from person to person but around two weeks you'll feel pretty normal.

That also varies depending on how much to you need to lose, but it's pretty dramatic the first month.

There will be a post op diet that introduces food slowly to allow your new stomach to fully heal. That varies drastically from surgeon to surgeon, but once you've been cleared by your surgeon there's nothing you won't be allowed to have, just avoid sugar and fats. Aim for high Protein and low carbs for the best results.

GOOD LUCK!!

2 hours ago, HeatherWillLose34 said:

Hi everyone

So I have questions about the Gastric Bypass Surgery

3. what is dumping

Thanks so much SW 410 CW 410 GW 140

1. It varies with each person but personally I take a Multivitamin and B12 and calcium+vitD and that's all..

2. My hair didn't fall out but it is thinner and growing slower.

3. Dumping for me is if I have something with high sugar/fat content and it makes me feel sick and or diarrhoea.

4. In the first few months you will need to chew food small enough that it doesn't bother you going down..

5. I've always been able to drink Water with my food but I try to wait at least 10minutes.

6. For me I was sore for a few days and bloated for a week.

7. I lost like 20kgs (40lb) in the first month but I was on liquid only and very low calorie; high Protein.

8. You will need to eat healthy try to stay away from sugar and fat and bad carbs & that is the whole point anyway to learn to eat healthy...

I suggest to do alot of research to prepare yourself.

I chose to be very strict myself and I lost weight quickly.

My high weight was 322.

I'm now 166.

9 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

No, it will wash the food through your pouch so you lose the feeling of fullness and satiety too quickly. This is true of every WLS. It's not hard to learn, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I'd like to add that I don't drink liquids while I eat not because it flushes through, but because it makes me barf. I feel like the liquids just sit on top of the food and has no where to go but up (especially if my stomach is full). Yuck.

I will drink right up to starting a meal, but not during, and not for at least 30-45 minutes after my last bite.

Edited to add: oopsies, you were asking about bypass... I had the sleeve. Sorry!

Edited by ms.sss

1. Yes, but it’s really not a big deal unless you have trouble swallowing pills.
2. Yes, for a bit
3. Dumping for me is 💩 if I’ve eaten something with too much sugar. Rarely happens though bc I don’t really like the taste of sweets anymore
4. I don’t count my chews, it’s second nature now. But at the beginning I did
5. I can, but I don’t
6. Maybe 6 weeks
7. Approx 30 lbs
8. Is not about “being allowed” you are an adult and can eat whatever you want. There’s certain foods/textures I don’t like anymore, certain foods I can’t tolerate and certain foods I choose not to eat