Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting with a lower BMI (30)

Hi All

So I'm contemplating VGS because I've dieted and failed over and over and over for years!! There are surgeons doing the surgery on patients with a BMI ov 30.0 or greater. I'm getting mixed reviews on doing such a drastic procedure with a BMI of less than 35. Has anyone else done it with a BMI of less than 35? Thoughts? Outcomes?

TIA

I had my sleeve done 2 months ago. My BMI was 34. So far I have lost 30 lbs.

I don't think that the surgery is drastic if it is going to change your life. I knew where my eating and binging was going to take me. I had to change that. I was on the road to Diabetes (as it runs in my family).

I tried for a year to diet. Failed. I tried exercising more. Never saw the scale move. I tried weight loss programs. Didn't help. After a year of all that I had gained another 15 pounds. I was tired and miserable.

I looked into getting surgery and realized that I needed it. It was the only tool that would keep me from getting worse.

I personally think it is better to get it done at a lower BMI. Don't wait until things have gotten out of control. Don't keep failing and beating yourself up. Do this now and get on track to a healthier you. I definitely don't regret it.

Thank you for the advice!!! I thought my BMI was just abound 30 but it’s really 32.1 or .3.... either way, I’m obese. I’ve tried everything under the sun and they work for a while and then I binge. I wish I didn’t do that to myself. It’s something I’ll have to work on. I’m determined and highly motivated just never successful. I know the surgery won’t be magic but I can definitely use the tool!!!

thanks again

My BMI was 36. I’m 1 year out and I’ve lost 59 pounds. I didn’t lose as much as I thought but currently weigh 154 and I’m very happy there. I need to up my exercise plan but due to back problems it’s a struggle. The surgery was definitely worth it. Good Luck

Do you have any co-morbidities? Diabetes, sleep apnea, and things like that? If yes, definitely do it.

If no, seriously consider whether you have tried everything first. Have you had a nutritionist work with with you? Have you had a personal trainer? Have you worked with a counselor to see if they can help you deal with whatever is making you over eat? I am not saying you not to do surgery, but make sure you HAVE tried all options first. It IS major surgery and with the right support, you MAY be able to avoid it. Or not.

That said... I had a low (under 40) BMI. I started with a BMI 38.9 and co-morbidities. With nutritionist support, my BMI dropped quickly (but I kept it above 35 to qualify for surgery because of my co-morbidities). I have followed the program, and I am now below my goal weight. Best decision I ever made.

If you have a BMI under 35, you may have difficulty finding a doctor to operate unless you pay out of pocket. It is expensive. But if you do have co-existing conditions, you may qualify for insurance to pay.

I can't say that I recommend someone who doesn't qualify because their BMI is under 35 have surgery. But that is me and my personal opinion. You do what is best for you. And if surgery is what you believe you need to do, then go for it. I will say though, definitely take your weight and get it under control! Just know, if you DO have surgery, you will get ALL SORTS of unsolicited opinions and advice lol. Don't listen to the naysayers. Just listen to your research and your doctors.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:46 AM, DrG2B said:

Hi All

So I'm contemplating VGS because I've dieted and failed over and over and over for years!! There are surgeons doing the surgery on patients with a BMI ov 30.0 or greater. I'm getting mixed reviews on doing such a drastic procedure with a BMI of less than 35. Has anyone else done it with a BMI of less than 35? Thoughts? Outcomes?

TIA

I know you posted months ago and I hope that you figured out what was right for you. I'm replying here (so many months later) because your stats are almost identical to mine (I'm 5'7") and after much consideration, I decided to get the sleeve done (out of pocket because my BMI is 31 without health issues) on Nov 30th. For the comment above about "have you tried everything," I get that question, but I think it's unwarranted. Because this is an elective surgery for me (and I assume for the OP) getting here has not been a flippant decision. Just like people who are more obese, this is often our last choice too. Why should I wait to get more obese when the writing is on the wall--slow steady weight gain without success in losing. What I do know is that I have to pay out-of-pocket currently but I do believe that in the near future, surgery for low BMI candidates will become more common (if you believe the medical journals). I think that most of the hesitation for insurance companies is money (duh). There are places here in the states that do the surgery on low BMI patients as there are places in Mexico, Europe, and India. Just do your research because only you and your doctor can determine if this is right for you.