Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI - Skin/recovery

I have my first appointment next week and I am struggling finding any past posts with similar questions. I am 5'3 and 216 right now with a BMI of 38. My insurance cover's the surgery with other health conditions, two that I have so I am hopeful that I will be approved. I carry most of my weight in my stomach and butt and I am wondering what people with similar size had as far as loose skin? I am 38 years old if that helps.

Pre- kids I was always very thin, about 120. post kids ( got up to about 220 during pregnancy) i was able to maintain 150-165 for many years, and had mild loose skin from pregnancy. In the last 3-5 years, I have gained weight every year it seems till I am at my heaviest now, close to 9 months pregnant size. I guess my question is, should I expect the same skin I had after pregnancy to weight loss as I would hope to loose about the same amount? Hope that was clear as mud.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Everyone's bodies are different and their skin bounces back different. I'm 32 and my starting weight was 385 with a BMI of 62. I'm 268 now with a BMI of 43 and a current weight loss of 117 pounds... I have a LOT of loose skin, but that's expected for someone of my size and the fact that I've been over 300 pounds for almost half my life (Literally. I was 303 at 17! -_-"). My guess though is that yes, it'll probably be similar to the post pregnancy loose skin. Though you'll probably have some in different places then before such as some loose skin on your arms (which can be minimized with exercise) or legs (again, exercise) or even where your bra rests under your arm pits (it bugs the crap outta me!). But in the end... I'd take the loose skin over the fat any day of the week!

Hi rachedo. NovaLuna is right. I was 250 something at my heaviest and I am only 4ft 11. The first time I got to close to the weight that I am now was many years ago after 1st baby and I did not have loose skin. This time around with this rapid weight-loss I have a ton of loose skin. I will say I have been told by weight watchers (in the past) and by my nutritionist that you will lessen the chances of loose skin with a slower rate of weight-loss and with a higher mass of muscle. But there are no guarantees, you don't know until you know, meaning until you personally go through weight-loss yourself.

My BMI was 37.3 on day of surgery, today it's 23.5. It's just over 6 months since surgery. I'm 5'6". I have very little loose skin, but my bum and thighs are saggy. My tummy has a little excess skin, but I've had three children so I think I'd have that regardless of weight loss. It's nothing I can't hide under clothes. Boobs are another matter, but again, I breastfed my children for a total of 7 years so that has also had an impact. I only have 5.6kg to lose to hit my goal weight, and then I'll be concentrating on toning and building muscle, 6 months after that I'll be looking at plastics. Definitely a breast lift, maybe a Tummy Tuck but I don't feel like I need one at this stage. I think it comes down to genetics and luck!

43 minutes ago, TisTrue said:

Hi rachedo. NovaLuna is right. I was 250 something at my heaviest and I am only 4ft 11. The first time I got to close to the weight that I am now was many years ago after 1st baby and I did not have loose skin. This time around with this rapid weight-loss I have a ton of loose skin. I will say I have been told by weight watchers (in the past) and by my nutritionist that you will lessen the chances of loose skin with a slower rate of weight-loss and with a higher mass of muscle. But there are no guarantees, you don't know until you know, meaning until you personally go through weight-loss yourself.

This is my worry. That it’s more how fast you loose the weight and now how much you loose.

8 minutes ago, Daisyjayne said:

My BMI was 37.3 on day of surgery, today it's 23.5. It's just over 6 months since surgery. I'm 5'6". I have very little loose skin, but my bum and thighs are saggy. My tummy has a little excess skin, but I've had three children so I think I'd have that regardless of weight loss. It's nothing I can't hide under clothes. Boobs are another matter, but again, I breastfed my children for a total of 7 years so that has also had an impact. I only have 5.6kg to lose to hit my goal weight, and then I'll be concentrating on toning and building muscle, 6 months after that I'll be looking at plastics. Definitely a breast lift, maybe a Tummy Tuck but I don't feel like I need one at this stage. I think it comes down to genetics and luck!

My niece who is the same age as I am, had the sleeve and she said her stomach and arms are manageable, but that it is here breasts that are the issue. She also was a 38 F prior to surgery. I’m hoping my small, 36 DD isn’t as big of a issue but I already have lost 4 kids breasts and can see plastic in my future there.

11 minutes ago, rachedo said:

My niece who is the same age as I am, had the sleeve and she said her stomach and arms are manageable, but that it is here breasts that are the issue. She also was a 38 F prior to surgery. I’m hoping my small, 36 DD isn’t as big of a issue but I already have lost 4 kids breasts and can see plastic in my future there.

You'll lose cup sizes be prepared. I was a 54DDD. I'm a 40C now... -_-"

1 hour ago, NovaLuna said:

You'll lose cup sizes be prepared. I was a 54DDD. I'm a 40C now... -_-"

LOL, I only realized that I needed a new bra size after this crazy COVID-19 pandemic. Don't get me wrong I wen down more than one bra size, but I truly thought that I was done once I hit 40 D. Several weeks ago, Walmart employees thought I was nutz asking if they still carried 18 hour bras. I couldn't find them... until 30 minutes or so later, I did and they did not have whatever size I probably am now. I was able to find a 38 C which is a little too big, but whats a girl to do. I can't stand not wearing a bra, I hate how it feels. As the character Karen Walker, from Will and Grace might say with her fists balled up to the sky, "Oh, the boobyness of it all" or "Oh, the my boobs look like I am a crappy ironer of it all"! I dunno, for anyone that watches Will and Grace what might their character's say? They are all hilarious to me, but I think that Jack and Karen might be my favorite!

LOL, man the fact that I can still laugh with a 5 year old child, 12 year old child, a dog, a cat is home all while I am a full time student and I have to work from home at the moment. OMGoodness, they argue and eat so much. Yikes! Especially being in these crazy, unknown times...Laugter, Please, give me more laughter!

I’m almost 55 so a bit older than you. No children. I bragged to my mother when I was almost at my goal that I didn’t have much loose skin at all just a bit if crepeyness on my arms, tummy & top of thighs. But then I lost the additional weight & it’s pretty floppy on my butt, arms, tummy, thighs. A good pinch worthy floppy - not pleasant or pretty.

My breast sized reduced heaps, lots of fullness - 18E to 10G but my 10G bras are too big & I can’t get out to have another fitting. I think I’m about an 8D/E now. Tried on an old fitted wool dress I’d shrunk years ago this morning. Dress fits (yay) except I have no boobs to fill out the top anymore so the neckline was all open & droopy (hello boys worthy).

Im a male and Have found that using the skin tighting lotions and tools do help, I have very little loose skin currently and have reached where i want to be

I'm also male. I was 59 when I had the surgery and had a BMI of about 37.5. I'm now 14 months out and in maintenance.

I had more saggy skin than I had anticipated when I reached my goal weight after about eight months. Everything was droopy--upper arms, thighs, butt and chest. I was particularly bothered by my turkey neck and the folds on my stomach. I feel like my stomach has gotten a bit better in the last six months, but I would still be embarrassed to go out without a shirt. And the turkey neck is as bad as ever.

Would I do it again knowing about the sagging skin? In a heartbeat! I did this for my health and to improve the quality of my life. The skin issues are secondary and are all about vanity, not health--although i do look infinitely better in clothes than I have in decades.

15 hours ago, rachedo said:

I have my first appointment next week and I am struggling finding any past posts with similar questions. I am 5'3 and 216 right now with a BMI of 38. My insurance cover's the surgery with other health conditions, two that I have so I am hopeful that I will be approved. I carry most of my weight in my stomach and butt and I am wondering what people with similar size had as far as loose skin? I am 38 years old if that helps.

Pre- kids I was always very thin, about 120. post kids ( got up to about 220 during pregnancy) i was able to maintain 150-165 for many years, and had mild loose skin from pregnancy. In the last 3-5 years, I have gained weight every year it seems till I am at my heaviest now, close to 9 months pregnant size. I guess my question is, should I expect the same skin I had after pregnancy to weight loss as I would hope to loose about the same amount? Hope that was clear as mud.

Hey.... Happy for you that your insurance will cover. Just an FYI: If you want to really make sure, gain 10 and that would put you at a 40BMI and you are a shoo-in. I did and would do it again and again and again. Back in 2009 i was at 223lbs... which put me at a 40 bmi but no co morbidities. So just to be on the safe side i put on 10. Approved in 3 days. Gain 10 to lose 89, yep yep. 5'2" began at 232. I was banded. Weightloss was slow and i hated that... then i realized that losing it slow was really a blessing. I has no problems with my arms, leg, but and even my boobs (44G). My problem was my stomach. I had 2 sections, hysterectomy, gallbladder at the time. Then the LB. My boobs went to a 36H. and so this is where i stayed for years..... at 143#. In 2012 i had a TT with MR and Lipo on flanks. Then i lost my band due to a slip in 2017 and in 2.5 years i gained 30lbs. Hit menopause and everything went to crap. No matter what i did. So this past Aug. at 173.5lbs i had the sleeve done. I've lost weight pretty fast. I can see the sagging now in my arms and butt.... and i lost a couple of cups in the boobs.... now a 32FF.

I say losing weight slowly worked i better for me the first time...... I am smaller than i was at my lowest with the band.... 143..... Today i weight 128

Should have also mentioned I have loose skin on my hands & fingers. Dropped about 4 full ring sizes & now my hands & fingers look a bit wrinkly & soft. Very unexpected.

21 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Should have also mentioned I have loose skin on my hands & fingers. Dropped about 4 full ring sizes & now my hands & fingers look a bit wrinkly & soft. Very unexpected.

I was just looking at my hands today! I have old lady hands! My ring size is a 4, which is what it was when I get married, even though I was 120lbs back then! I wish the rest of me was as skinny as my fingers! LOL!!

I am 5'4" and was 226.8. I have kost ALL my excess weight and am currently 133.9 lbs. I have a little loose skin on my hands and face, but it is getting better (just reached my goal... so still new). The rest of my body looks great albeit in need of more toning. My belly is mostly flat but I do have a permanent c-section pooch. No big deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app