Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am 6 weeks post op and I am having a really hard time with Breakfast. Per my surgeons guidelines, he recommends avoiding bacon, sausage (even chicken), ham etc. but my issue is that I hate eggs! So I am tired of having Protein Shakes and yogurt for breakfast. I also don’t want to eat chicken or seafood every morning. I’ve had some bacon and I’m wondering if I am “cheating” and messing myself up.

I hit a stall at 3 weeks, had my menstrual, and went up! It finally broke last week and I lost what I gained but it just doesn’t feel like I’ve made any progress in weeks! I’ve lost 22 pounds since surgery on 2/24 and with my 2 months coming up I feel like I should have lost at least 30 since my starting weight was over 300 pounds! Here are my questions:

1. For those who’ve had a VSG what was your average weekly and/or monthly weight loss after the first month?
2. Do you eat bacon, sausage, or ham for breakfast?
3. Have you cheated and still lost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give because I am going crazy!

@MsMocie while I appreciate your response, the added sarcasm isn’t necessary. Especially since this is a forum for support. And while I didn’t mention a list of all the foods I don’t like, with the exception of eggs, (especially with bananas) so I don’t know why you mentioned them, I don’t like cottage cheese or tuna.

I had RNY rather than VSG, but 22 lbs down is about where I was at that point, and I also started out at over 300 lbs.

there are so many factors that influence your rate of weight loss, and most of them are out of your control (age, gender, metabolic rate, starting BMI). The only thing you DO have a lot of control over is commitment to your clinic's plan.

At almost five years out, I can't eat a lot in the way of fatty meat like bacon and sausage because it makes me feel like crap. I can have a piece now and then, but that's about it. I don't think I ate anything like that the first year or so post-op. I usually ate Greek yogurt for breakfast - but I know you said you're tired of that.

some people eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast, like chicken breast or deli turkey slices with a cheese stick or something along those lines.

Sounds like we are about the same spot. My surgery was 3/9. I just had a couple bites of bacon with my Easter bfast and it’s not sitting well. Lots of burping and gas. Not worth it.

My Dr. didn’t say anything about avoiding them, so didn’t occur to me.

Edited by Stinkerbells2ndact

My surgery was 2/26.

I have eaten sausage and ham a bunch of times. Didn't really think I was cheating. Heck I had a small bowl of sausage and peppers last night.

I've lost about 35 so far but I'm a guy so its different.

I will occasionally have turkey bacon for either breakfast or dinner. (I never liked regular bacon --too fatty). I overcook it slightly so I still get a crunch. It isn't great on Protein so wouldn't work everyday or as a stand alone, but may be an option to rotate.

1. I had the Loop Duodenal Switch surgery, but it involves a sleeved stomach... I lost 23 pounds the first month. And I generally lose between 3-4 pounds a week with a rare exception for slightly more, though sometimes under. I'm unsure monthly, since it's only been two and a half months since my surgery...

2. No. I'm not allowed to have bacon per my surgeons guidelines, for now. I can't have sausage via my nutritionists guidelines. And although I CAN have ham, I don't eat it for breakfast. I'm having it for easter lunch though...

3. I haven't cheated once since my surgery. I did this surgery for a reason, why the hell would I destroy that for some momentary satisfaction that will make me feel so much worse after the fact? My family hasn't changed their diet. They still eat pizza, popcorn, cake, Cookies, ice cream, etc. But I have the willpower to say no, I'm not going to destroy how far I've come because I want something that'll make me feel like crap about myself after the fact. I've lost 114 pounds in the last 10 months since I started my weight loss journey. Fifty pounds of that since my surgery and sixty-four prior to the surgery. I'm proud of myself for how far I've come and I won't destroy that. So no, I haven't cheated.

Yes, there are times that it's really hard, but you just have to remind yourself that you are doing this for a reason! My reason was because I wanted to watch my nieces grow up. And, last week I found out my sister is pregnant again, so now I have ANOTHER reason to keep pushing to lose this weight and get myself healthier. I admit, it's a struggle at times, but it'll be WORTH it in the end!

Edited by NovaLuna

I guess I am the exception, but I was not told to not eat bacon or sausage; I pretty regularly have 1 turkey sausage link with my breakfast. It only has 4 grams of Protein, but 4 grams for 35 calories is a pretty big protein hit. I try for about 15 grams (or more) of protein per meal/snack. You could try a link or 2 of turkey sausage and some cream of wheat with some plain Protein Powder added to get a higher protein breakfast.

By the way, I also make various dishes using Italian style turkey sausages; turkey chili, Cajun style sausage and Beans with cauliflower rice, or a Tomato and sausage crumble over spaghetti squash with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

I am 2 months post sleeve. I have lost 23 pounds since surgery, and 33 pounds including the 3 weeks of pre surgery diet. I am happy with my weight loss, it is not the huge numbers some people have, but I look at an average of 3 pounds a week as a good rate.

I have not "cheated" since the surgery, but the rules from my team are pretty loose; hit your protein goals, hit your fluid goals, and then fill in (if you can) with fruits and vegetables.

I think bacon is ok, but not every day. You're going to have to choose what kind of post op person you wanna be. Are you a person who is going to be super strict and a stick to everything your doctor says or a in moderation person. So based off of that you'll get different answers coming from a strict diet person and a moderation person. I'm a in moderation person (although my doctor did tell me regardless of what I eat I will lose no matter what in the first 6months). I do not restrict myself and will eat anything in moderation. For the most part I eat healthy and what I should be eating. But do I have bacon once every two weeks yes. Do I eat chocolate once a week yep... have I ate chips yep! But its all in moderation and knowing you have the will power to control yourself and not binge eat.

I would make eggs your main focus when you're eating breakfast and have 1 piece of bacon. Or make bacon and put some bits mixed in with your egg. Same goes with sausage and ham. Moderation is the key. I'm 8months out and have always lost and never gained. By 2months 2wks post op I was 32lbs down (started at 261lbs), but like someone else mentioned a lot of factors play into how much and how fast ppl lose. I stalled around the same time as you and for almost 3wks it was very discouraging. You still have a long way to go... as do I, hang in there the weight will come off!!

On 4/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, jbeesauntie said:

Hi all,

I am 6 weeks post op and I am having a really hard time with Breakfast. Per my surgeons guidelines, he recommends avoiding bacon, sausage (even chicken), ham etc. but my issue is that I hate eggs! So I am tired of having Protein Shakes and yogurt for breakfast. I also don’t want to eat chicken or seafood every morning. I’ve had some bacon and I’m wondering if I am “cheating” and messing myself up.

I hit a stall at 3 weeks, had my menstrual, and went up! It finally broke last week and I lost what I gained but it just doesn’t feel like I’ve made any progress in weeks! I’ve lost 22 pounds since surgery on 2/24 and with my 2 months coming up I feel like I should have lost at least 30 since my starting weight was over 300 pounds! Here are my questions:

1. For those who’ve had a VSG what was your average weekly and/or monthly weight loss after the first month?
2. Do you eat bacon, sausage, or ham for breakfast?
3. Have you cheated and still lost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give because I am going crazy!

i'm just curious as to why no meats for breakfast? Did he say why? I wasn't told that for either SX... Not the band or the sleeve. I eat bacon in quench. and i eat less than half a piece on the weekends.

#1... sleeved 8/28/19... i averaged 2lbs per week. This is a revision for me, SW was 173.5, today im holding at 129 which is where i have been for about a month. I found that sometimes i would go a week or so at the same and then BAM.... loss... 2-3lbs..

#2... i do eat bacon and sausage and i eat ham and cheese roll-up sometimes for lunch.

#3.. i wouldn't call it cheating. I call it a blip... Everyone has "blips".... it's all about recognizing them and stopping them. But i can also tell you the people that are just starting out eating chips, ice cream, candy from the beginning are the same that in a few years that will be on here saying....... My WLS didn't work..... I've seen it a thousand times..... I've been here since 2009...

Start off correct.... and if your dr. says no bacon... he must have a reason. I don't like cottage cheese either.. yuck... I know you said NO eggs (most everything has eggs) or bananas.... how about oatmeal? I avoid pancakes and waffles... as they are not really good for you. How about Peanut Butter? How about pears? i eat them a lot. i also eat mandarins from a cup or can... I sometimes eat with ricotta cheese. I eat regular yogurt... not fat free, not low fat as i just don't like them. I love the Liberte' brand.... you have to look hard for them as they are not in every store... we have them in Krogers where i live. They are the best i ever ate....

Hi! I had my surgery on 2/27/20. I usually have greek yogurt for breakfast with a piece of turkey bacon or real turkey breakfast sausage... no problems. I have loss 30 lbs since surgery.. all together 48 lbs counting 2 week pre surgery diet. I too was over 300 lbs.

at 6 weeks turkey bacon or turkey sausage should be tolerated. You have to see how your body tolerates it as far as weight loss.

Before corona bs started I was eating a large breakfast a few days a week coming out of a 14 hour IF. 2 egg, 2 bacon, half a potato of home fries. Call it 600-700 calories. I have since replaced this with 2 hardboiled egg, 1 cup fruit, 1 slice of cheese. My weight hasnt budged despite this being a much more healthy option.

@BayougirlMrsS thanks for the feedback! I should have prefaced my message by saying that I don’t eat bacon everyday. I mostly do yogurt and fruit but it’s tough eating the same things over and over.

I am determined to make this tool work for me and I am not veering off the track too far with lots of things I shouldn’t have because that’s how I got here in the first place. I know this battle is 95% mental but it has been tougher being at home every day and maintaining a routine. If I was at work I could only eat what I brought but I know things won’t always be easy. Just taking it day by day!