Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California question?

Hi, I'm set to start the options class at the end of this month and finish in mid June. Just wondering what other evaluations Kaiser requires. And also how long after the classes did you have surgery?

Hello,

The 12 weeks are very informative, I went through West LA.

You'll complete your labs. No smoking because your urine will be tested. Some weight loss is needed, but you absolutely can't gain any weight after your first weigh in. Maintain a positive attitude because classroom participation and attitude was evaluated, don't be late and you can only makeup 2 classes.

Try to complete everything during your Options classes as early as possible and make your required appointments as soon as you start the program if not before. Surgery approval is as soon as you complete everything and then your file will be evaluated by the Bariatric team. Some people had surgery dates as early as 3 weeks after class. One person was a revision, she had surgery during, those of us who were serious had dates. You have one year to complete your surgery after finishing the class.

I was in a pretty decent group of people. Everyone wasn't serious about the surgery, some were just into the hype. Some people had been through the class 3 times and never had the procedure due to fear or blocking themselves (they admitted that), didn't want to commit to the lifestyle change, there were a few negative Neds & Nancy's (ignore them and distance yourself from those ppl) and finally the know it all ppl., because they know someone or a close family member had the surgery and their plan wasn't like this!!!

Get the information that Kaiser wants you to follow, show up and commit, communicate with the Bariatric team, one week you'll get samples of the Bariatric Vitamins, get z highlighter to highlight your notes (makes it easier to review and refresh once you have surgery). Enjoy the ride, this journey is for you and you get out of it what you put into it.

Please note: All Kaiser Permanente Bariatric programs are not the same. My program at West LA Kaiser was totally different from my friend who went through South Bay Kaiser. Even our after surgery stages per our surgeons. Still both very affective. Each surgeon has their own experiences and methods.

36 minutes ago, starling618 said:

Thank you so much!!! That answers a lot!

You're welcome. I wish you the best possible outcome on your journey.

I walked out of the last options class and immediately called to make an appt with the Surgeon. I believe there was about a 3 week wait? Then at the appt I said I was ready when he was, and had the surgery 11 days later! I went through Options at Kaiser in Fontana. Let me know if you have more questions! Good luck :)