Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Business Dinner suggestions?

I have an important business dinner to attend at an Italian restaurant. My concern is that I want to hide the fact that I will barely be eating anything on my plate. I don't want to appear rude, and don't want to say that I'm sick, I just want to push the food around my plate so it looks like I ate it.

Any suggestions on what to order so it's easy to camouflage that I'm only eating a few bites?

chicken parm cut it all up and drop a few big pieces in your salad bowl and hide it with salad, Not finishing your salad does not jump out.

you can always, eat very few bites. Keep the conversation on business and engaging. Order a Soup if you must and an entree /appetizer, take the left overs home. You can always say, lifestyle changes if someone does ask and that you don't have a big appetite due to it being past the normal time you eat dinner. I'm only 8 days post op, a secret sleever and I will have to encounter this same challenge of eating with my peers as well. I consume such a tiny amount right now, I'm in awe.

Interesting how ppl will shame you for eating too little, but not for what they feel is a comfortable amount of consumption for you when your overstuffing your face and 3000 pounds.

I found that during a meal, people are so focused on their own plate that they really don't notice what anyone else is eating. I sipped broth during an entire Mexican buffet when I was a few weeks post op, and no one noticed or commented. I've been out to eat lots of times, and no one - absolutely no one - has commented on the small amounts or on my take home box.

I always order off the appetizer section if there's something that "works" for me.

otherwise, if there's nothing bariatric-friendly there, you can always order off the regular menu - maybe fish or chicken - and if people wonder why you're not eating much, just tell them you're not feeling well.

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I always order off the appetizer section if there's something that "works" for me.

otherwise, if there's nothing bariatric-friendly there, you can always order off the regular menu - maybe fish or chicken - and if people wonder why you're not eating much, just tell them you're not feeling well.

In this present health care climate, I think it would be wise to avoid saying that you are not feeling well. :) Might ruin any business prospects. Just saying......

A lot of Italian menus have on appetizers or side order of meatballs. Have them serve with everyone’s dinner. Just take rest home. Enjoy!

16 hours ago, AZhiker said:

In this present health care climate, I think it would be wise to avoid saying that you are not feeling well. :) Might ruin any business prospects. Just saying......

yea you're right - I didn't think of that. That excuse *used* to work. Now it'd probably elicit looks of alarm...

41 minutes ago, Meadow76 said:

A lot of Italian menus have on appetizers or side order of meatballs. Have them serve with everyone’s dinner. Just take rest home. Enjoy!

yes! A meatball appetizer, which they often have at Italian restaurants, would definitely work. I've ordered that myself!

Also, with the pandemic outbreak, I'm sure ppl would understand if you decided not to go or not to order. Social distancing is the common practice in California.

I also think you can just order a normal meal, eat the 7 or 8 bites of bariatric friendly food (the meatballs on a plate of spaghetti) take the rest home and throw it out when you walk in the door.

My sleeve is coming up , but my dad had a gastric bypass many many moons ago. He often used the excuse that he had a "large lunch" or would get things that seemed like you could eat a ton of, and it seemed to never go down. Like Soup. There is always spaghetti, that can be eaten in smaller bites and is one of those dishes that seem to never end. He also just ordered a lot of appetizers or a side dish. (bake potato was his favorite go to everywhere LOL).

Or the "I've been so enthralled in the conversation I completely forgot about my poor food ". (At which point he would box it up, bring it home and separate it into his little cups and munch on left overs for the next day or so [ not wasting food by just chunking it in the trash] )

Thanks everyone!!

I ended up ordering shrimp served over angel hair Pasta. I ate a few shrimp, and then hid the rest under the pasta! LOL!! Normally, I don't care about my small portions in restaurants, etc. This dinner was a little different and my business companion was paying, so I was extra self-conscious going into it, but he didn't notice a thing!!!

Thanks again all!

Happy it worked out for you. Where are you located? I’m in So FL. Most restaurants are not doing dining in. Doing take out or delivery.

13 hours ago, Meadow76 said:

Happy it worked out for you. Where are you located? I’m in So FL. Most restaurants are not doing dining in. Doing take out or delivery.

This was Saturday night in Naples. Restaurants were still quite busy. I'm sure that will all end very soon!