Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months into lapband and losing focus!

Hey guys,

I was banded on July 31st and have currently lost around 22 pounds to date...slow and steady. That is the problem, I am losing my focus and eating the things that I know that I shouldn't.

Can anyone help me with suggestions of what has worked for them? And exercise, don't even get me started on that! LOL

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sharon:help:

I'm with you! I was banded and after a few months of restriction...and boy am I restricted... I am reverting to my old habits. I eat to much and throw up...and I KNOW I am going to throw up so I say things like...

go ahead and eat it because you are going to throw it up anyway.

Or... eat fast..really fast because it's coming up anyway.

I'm going in January to have my band adjusted to remove some of this restriction because the band is the only thing keeping the weight off and causing me to lose weight. I've got to change my behavior if this is going to last.

Hi Sharon,

I am still learning this banding/diet process as I go along, but since you and I were banded only 8 days apart, I thought I would throw my two cents in for what it's worth............

1) I think exercise is really key, and unfortunately there is just no way around that. The good news is that once your workouts become habit, you will probably start to enjoy them. I know that this has happened to me, and for the first time in my life I actually enjoy and look forward to my workouts.

2) Portion Control. I have learned from others on this board to portion out my food on the plate and once I have eaten that portion to stop eating, even if I am still hungry. I do occasionally have slip ups and eat more than I had planned to, but most days I manage to do this.

3) No eating or snacking after dinner. This has always worked well for me -- even before I was banded. The band makes it so much easier for me to do this now.

4) My current diet consists mostly of Protein, fruits and vegetables. I try to limit my intake of bread, Pasta and starchy vegetables as much as possible, but have not eliminated them completely from my diet.

As I said, I am still learning this as I go along, but this is what is working for me at this point in time.

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss so far!

Banane43.gifCrazy Ates November Exercise Challengeboxing.gif

17/16 Days of Exercise

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

9.75 cm/4cc Inamed Band

2 fills (both under fluoro): 9/07 & 11/07

Keep a food log and be honest with yourself in it. I use fitday.com, but there's others. I find if I can graphically see what I'm doing, I fix it. I was stalled, and after I started using this tool I really picked up on where I was fouled up.

Exercise is going to have to be part of the plan. If you can afford it, find a personal trainer or a spin class or something that's scheduled. I find that having $$$ on the line motivates me. Yes, if you're big, people are going to stare at first. They get over it, and so should you. Keep your eye on the prize.

Stay away from liquid calories. See the first paragraph about honestly tracking your calories. Ice cream, frosties, sodas, juices, sugar-infested coffees -- all these will sink you.

Don't cheat. You're only hurting yourself. Frankly, nobody else cares, so you have to do this for you.

Last thing: some of us have issues that drove us to get fat in the first place. If you're really trying to hide from the world behind a layer of flab, then you'll end up fighting yourself. Be honest with yourself, and if you need help see a professsional therapist.

Good luck

What helped motivate me..I bought a pair of jeans that I wanted to fit into, tried them on every month and wrote down where the came up to..fisrt it was mid thigh, then hip, then all the way with a gap, then finally they fit..I put the jeans on the wall with two nails so they hung by the belt loops..then everyday there thay are..no ignoring them now!

I also set myself mini goals...By next week you will have done 1000 crunchs or have walked 7 miles etc..then if I did it, I bought myself a prize..non food of course..kept track of what I did on a spreadsheet on the fridge...gave myself gold stars when I did my goal..those little things can be motivating

Last of all and yall might think Im crazy, I put up my scale. Weighed nyself at the doctors only. Then I wasnt worried about pounds, and instead concentrated on me..Did I have enough Protein today, milk, etc...So Last time I went to the doctor, I had dropped 40 lbs..I had no idea..I was totally stunned, and it really motivated me to keep it up, instead of staring at those numbers on the scale every morning slowly inching down..you know what they say...a watched pot boils last!

I am new to this forum.

Am looking for some answers to some problem myself and happened to see this thread.

My lapband surgery was on August 16th this summer and I have lost 57 pounds.

Mostly from not being able to eat food 50% of the time.

I decided after having the surgery and going through all of the awful problems I have had that I will make the most of this and work hard at it.

I decided that I will eat healthy and exercise. Even if it is just 10 mins a day. Anything is better than nothing.

I said if I start going back to my old ways of eating because of being bored, or sad, depressed or nervous that I will go have counseling.

I believe that there is a reason we are fat and getting that help is a good thing.

They will build our self esteem and motivation.

Get a buddy to converse with.

Good luck with your weight loss.

I know you all can do it.:clap2:

yaya

Sharon, you really need to think long and hard as to why you had the surgery. Do you need a fill? What restriction level are you at? How much do you eat. This is a committment and you can do it! Start over today.