Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to RYN No restriction



Recommended Posts

Hello All!

Hope all is well, So I had the VSG is TJ Mexico in 2016. I lost over 100 pounds. I have gained 70 back. So I went back to my original surgeon in TJ and he did a RYN bypass...or so I think I did. I had more restriction before I had the revision. I am at a loss. I wander if they did anything at all, I mean I am sore from the surgery and I feel like I had surgery but I feel hungry, don't really feel full. How am I suppose to loose this weight??? If I had to do it all on my own than what was the point of the surgery? Sorry y'all I am just venting and really worried. Can anyone share their input?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Builtbetter78 said:

Hello All!

Hope all is well, So I had the VSG is TJ Mexico in 2016. I lost over 100 pounds. I have gained 70 back. So I went back to my original surgeon in TJ and he did a RYN bypass...or so I think I did. I had more restriction before I had the revision. I am at a loss. I wander if they did anything at all, I mean I am sore from the surgery and I feel like I had surgery but I feel hungry, don't really feel full. How am I suppose to loose this weight??? If I had to do it all on my own than what was the point of the surgery? Sorry y'all I am just venting and really worried. Can anyone share their input?

I feel the exact same way. I had a sleeve to RNY revision and I worry about my restriction. I have no restriction on liquids and feel like I'm eating way too much. I've been told that once I'm on solid foods that the restriction will become evident. I'm hungry to. I've found that eating something small once an hour helps. I've been living off of yogurt and salmon for the last week. I doubt that either of us had a fake surgery, but that's what it feels like sometimes. I had the revision at 178 pounds (for GERD) and have lost 5 pounds in two weeks. I don't want to go below 160, but I think that's going to take some time.

I think we need to just take deep breaths, follow our doctor's orders, and trust in the process. It's going to be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

two things going on:

1) some nerves were probably cut during the surgery, and it takes awhile for them to start to regenerate

2) you'll start feeling the restriction once you move to solid food

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

two things going on:

1) some nerves were probably cut during the surgery, and it takes awhile for them to start to regenerate

2) you'll start feeling the restriction once you move to solid food

This a million times! It can take as long as 2-4months to feel that restriction and have your tummy talkin' to your brain. That's why it's vital to ONLY eat the amount prescribed for your stage and don't allow "second helpings." Don't chase the full feeling. If you feel it, great, but if not, stop at your lower limit. If they give you a range of 1/8-1/4cup. Opt to do the 1/8cup. And try to stretch your eating window to 2hours in the early days rather than 1hour. That would be my advice.

I had the same issue with my RNY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

This a million times! It can take as long as 2-4months to feel that restriction and have your tummy talkin' to your brain. That's why it's vital to ONLY eat the amount prescribed for your stage and don't allow "second helpings." Don't chase the full feeling. If you feel it, great, but if not, stop at your lower limit. If they give you a range of 1/8-1/4cup. Opt to do the 1/8cup. And try to stretch your eating window to 2hours in the early days rather than 1hour. That would be my advice.

I had the same issue with my RNY.

One wondering that I have is if I am somehow stretching or doing damage to my pouch? I would think that I would definitely know I'm overeating and causing damage, but I secretly worry that I'm overdoing it and am going to irreparably do damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, GotItDoneInHarlem said:

One wondering that I have is if I am somehow stretching or doing damage to my pouch? I would think that I would definitely know I'm overeating and causing damage, but I secretly worry that I'm overdoing it and am going to irreparably do damage.

Many different opinions on this. The bottom line from my doc is that you CAN stretch your tool in some way. You can also get used to perpetually eating larger portions. And I find the more I eat, the more I want. We can all learn to outsmart our tool.

So it's better to just NOT choose to do it. Right? It's doubtful at this early stage you would stretch it out, but you can pop suture lines and staple lines and put stress on your tool. So the answer is...follow your rules. Do NOT wing it. Measure and weigh all the things. LOL. Volume is king!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe I have “restriction”, but when I eat the correct type of foods I stop feeling hungry and as though I have had enough quite quickly. It’s not a hard stop like when I had the band but it’s a much better feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's something you probably didn't know going into a revision from sleeve to bypass: with a sleeve your natural/original pyloric sphincter/valve remains intact but once converted you no longer have use of it. The strong restriction that was felt/existed with a sleeve *may* never be felt again.

But that's OK because you have a malabsorption tool now and if you use it properly (not chasing a restriction feeling & following through with the lifestyle change) you'll do just fine ❤

jzPrEzYuTUWst6Pe4zWl_Functions-of-the-pyloric-sphincter.jpg

Sleeve-picture-with-title-476w.jpg

roux-en-y-gastric-bypass.png

gastric-sleeve-to-gasatric-bypass.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am considering revision from the sleeve to RNY-I would think you would have to feel some type of "fullness". I mean look at the images above. It is a heck of a lot smaller than the sleeve. It can all be so overwhelming sometimes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 3rd 2020 i had sleeve conversion to RNY with hiatal hernia repair. I had lost 90% of my weight, but had really bad reflux and food getting stuck and stabbing chest pains. I can say that the sleeve i felt restriction, and still did until the revision. But with the GBP i really don't.

My PA said that since liquids and pureed foods are "slider" foods, they will slide right thru without much feeling of fullness. We lost that pyloris that held things in to fill up the sleeve. but, once I start to eat normal foods, i will feel the restriction. She also agreed with the cutting of the nerves and that will come back.

My new concern is i am 15 days post op and on day 13 i started getting bad stomach cramps when i drink Water. the first day i had really bad gas, and thought that was it. took simethicone to no effect. But any time i drink it starts to hurt almost immediately. Been going on a few days now. I force my water down but an lying on my side in the fetal position most of the time since that is the only way it won't hurt.

I read in one of these forums that this is normal, and to try warmer fluids.

Anyone experiencing this? Thoughts?

Edited by Samedaydifferentstomach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2020 at 7:46 AM, Samedaydifferentstomach said:

March 3rd 2020 i had sleeve conversion to RNY with hiatal hernia repair. I had lost 90% of my weight, but had really bad reflux and food getting stuck and stabbing chest pains. I can say that the sleeve i felt restriction, and still did until the revision. But with the GBP i really don't.

My PA said that since liquids and pureed foods are "slider" foods, they will slide right thru without much feeling of fullness. We lost that pyloris that held things in to fill up the sleeve. but, once I start to eat normal foods, i will feel the restriction. She also agreed with the cutting of the nerves and that will come back.

My new concern is i am 15 days post op and on day 13 i started getting bad stomach cramps when i drink Water. the first day i had really bad gas, and thought that was it. took simethicone to no effect. But any time i drink it starts to hurt almost immediately. Been going on a few days now. I force my Water down but an lying on my side in the fetal position most of the time since that is the only way it won't hurt.

I read in one of these forums that this is normal, and to try warmer fluids.

Anyone experiencing this? Thoughts?

Try a different type of water and at varying temps. Also flavored/enhanced waters ate a good choice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×