Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not enough weight for surgery

So I have a 38.8 bmi, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes (barely and the number has gone down) and my insurance approved me for surgery on 3/2/20. I'm really excited but I keep feeling like like I'm not heavy enough for surgery. Does anyone else with a bmi under 40 feel that way? The crazy thing is I'm in constant pain from my joints neck and back so I'm not sure why these doubt keep coming.

Edited by Slimmy-mommeee

So I have a 38.8 bmi, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes (barely and the number has gone down) and my insurance approved me for surgery on 3/2/20. I'm really excited but I keep feeling like like I'm not heavy enough for surgery. Does anyone else with a bmi under 40 feel that way?

My BMI was 37 and with comorbidities of high blood pressure, I was approved no problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just now, BadWolfGirl said:

My BMI was 37 and with comorbidities of high blood pressure, I was approved no problem.

Can I ask when was your surgery and how much weight have you lost? Also how do you feel overall?

Can I ask when was your surgery and how much weight have you lost? Also how do you feel overall?
I only had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. I'm down 20 pounds. I had zero complications and very little to no pain. Was home the next afternoon and walking a ton. I feel great. Just saw the surgeon and my PCP and am already off four medications.

1 minute ago, BadWolfGirl said:

I only had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. I'm down 20 pounds. I had zero complications and very little to no pain. Was home the next afternoon and walking a ton. I feel great. Just saw the surgeon and my PCP and am already off four medications.

Wow that is amazing! Congratulations! I have my endoscopy tomorrow and next week I have my last preop appt and start the liquid diet. I'm nervous but excited and can't wait to be out of pain. Good luck on your journey!

Wow that is amazing! Congratulations! I have my endoscopy tomorrow and next week I have my last preop appt and start the liquid diet. I'm nervous but excited and can't wait to be out of pain. Good luck on your journey!
You'll do great!

22 minutes ago, Slimmy-mommeee said:

So I have a 38.8 bmi, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes (barely and the number has gone down) and my insurance approved me for surgery on 3/2/20. I'm really excited but I keep feeling like like I'm not heavy enough for surgery. Does anyone else with a bmi under 40 feel that way? The crazy thing is I'm in constant pain from my joints neck and back so I'm not sure why these doubt keep coming.

Hi! You may not feel heavy enough but you are unhealthy enough according to your own admission and insurance approval.

Perhaps think about what set of circumstances would make you feel comfortable to deem surgery a necessity. Also think about when you anticipate those things to occur.

Then consider all of that valuable time & health wasted coming to terms with your decision instead of taking action to prevent further issues.

Good Luck 🌈

Hi! You may not feel heavy enough but you are unhealthy enough according to your own admission and insurance approval.
Perhaps think about what set of circumstances would make you feel comfortable to deem surgery a necessity. Also think about when you anticipate those things to occur.
Then consider all of that valuable time & health wasted coming to terms with your decision instead of taking action to prevent further issues.
Good Luck [emoji304]
Your absolutely right. How bad should my health be before I took action? Deep down I know I'm making the right decision. I must be having those infamous preop jitters. Also people's opinions are getting in my head. Now everyone is an expert about my life...lol. Thanks alot!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

My BMI was 35 & I am so glad I had the surgery. I was fortunate that I didn’t have any weight related health issues, except for sore feet & poor stamina, but I knew they weren’t far away & I was hurtling towards being morbidly obese.

While I’d always battled my weight & yo yoed for decades, I’d never been this weight before and didn’t want to be. However, I just couldn’t loose it. It was frustrating & depressing.

I decided to have the surgery because I wanted to be healthy (& wear high heels again & buy clothes off the rack ha). I have nine nieces & nephews aged from 2 to 24 and I wanted to be there for them. I also have an 80yr old mother whose health is slowly deteriorating who I need to be able to care for if needed. Most importantly I wanted to do this for me. So I could actually be who I was inside.

Why did you originally decide you wanted the surgery? How did you want your life to change? To improve?

What do you think is ‘heavy enough’ for surgery?

Have you been to any counselling yet? You need to be in the right head space & really want this or it will fail.

My BMI was 35 & I am so glad I had the surgery. I was fortunate that I didn’t have any weight related health issues, except for sore feet & poor stamina, but I knew they weren’t far away & I was hurtling towards being morbidly obese.
While I’d always battled my weight & yo yoed for decades, I’d never been this weight before and didn’t want to be. However, I just couldn’t loose it. It was frustrating & depressing.
I decided to have the surgery because I wanted to be healthy (& wear high heels again & buy clothes off the rack ha). I have nine nieces & nephews aged from 2 to 24 and I wanted to be there for them. I also have an 80yr old mother whose health is slowly deteriorating who I need to be able to care for if needed. Most importantly I wanted to do this for me. So I could actually be who I was inside.
Why did you originally decide you wanted the surgery? How did you want your life to change? To improve?
What do you think is ‘heavy enough’ for surgery?
Have you been to any counselling yet? You need to be in the right head space & really want this or it will fail.

I have an appt for my first therapy session next week. I know therapy is essential to my success because all of the things I used for stress management and comfort will be gone. For this surgery(and my health) I quit smoking, I wont be able to emotionally eat nor can I have alchohol. I realize getting this tool will present me with mental challenges I have not had to deal with before. But I have to remember my original reasons for doing this. Thanks!

I understand where you are coming from. I had a BMI of 38 with co-morbidities (high BP, pre-diabetes and sleep apnea) when I was approved for surgery. I felt rather uncomfortable at first on this forum when I had "only" about 100 pounds to lose. I ended up losing 110 pounds and now have a BMI of 21. I feel wonderful, I'm off all my meds, and I don't regret my decision at all. As you will see on this forum, we all have similar stories and similar journeys, regardless of how much weight we need to lose.

My BMI was 39 when I had my consultation. I self paid (in the uk) and it's now 22. (It had gone down to 19 at its lowest and people tell me I was too thin. I'd argue but I'd probably agree it's ok now :))

Anyway, I had no real co-morbidity, but my twin had type 2 and had had a stroke and I just felt enough already with losing and gaining the same stone over and over - like sisyphus running the boulder up a hill!

So my weight loss has been around the 100lbs all told and it's enough. But it's your body, your weight and your choice.

I would also say that I have cause, daily, to feel glad about my size. I LOVE my clothes, my skin isn't too bad (yeah I'd love a lift but I'm 56 and I'm not sure I can be bothered!), I'm fit and healthy and my confidence has increased.

What's not to love.

Go for it. We''re worth it!

I understand where you are coming from. I had a BMI of 38 with co-morbidities (high BP, pre-diabetes and sleep apnea) when I was approved for surgery. I felt rather uncomfortable at first on this forum when I had "only" about 100 pounds to lose. I ended up losing 110 pounds and now have a BMI of 21. I feel wonderful, I'm off all my meds, and I don't regret my decision at all. As you will see on this forum, we all have similar stories and similar journeys, regardless of how much weight we need to lose.
Yes that's what I want...to be comfortable in my own body. Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?

1 minute ago, Slimmy-mommeee said:

Yes that's what I want...to be comfortable in my own body. Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?

I'm 5'8". And please note that I'm a man. 🙂

My BMI was 39 when I had my consultation. I self paid (in the uk) and it's now 22. (It had gone down to 19 at its lowest and people tell me I was too thin. I'd argue but I'd probably agree it's ok now :))
Anyway, I had no real co-morbidity, but my twin had type 2 and had had a stroke and I just felt enough already with losing and gaining the same stone over and over - like sisyphus running the boulder up a hill!
So my weight loss has been around the 100lbs all told and it's enough. But it's your body, your weight and your choice.
I would also say that I have cause, daily, to feel glad about my size. I LOVE my clothes, my skin isn't too bad (yeah I'd love a lift but I'm 56 and I'm not sure I can be bothered!), I'm fit and healthy and my confidence has increased.
What's not to love.

Go for it. We''re worth it!
I can't wait to enjoy clothes shopping again! And hiking with my boys. I truly want my life back. In college i was very physically active. After children, marriage (then divorce) that part of me got buried.Now my boys are older and I dont plan on having anymore babies, it's time to love me again.