Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first “clumping” episode yesterday. Not sure if I ate to fast or if the food was to dry. I’m 3 weeks post op RNY so this is my first experience with this. It lasted for four hours! Does it usually last this long? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Are you thinking about when food feels stuck in your throat? You probably ate to fast, big bites and didn't feel after the fullness feeling. It is an awful feeling. For me it helps sitting straight up and down raising my arms. I've learned the ropes on this, so I don't eat like that anymore, I feel between each bite. Sometimes I actually change my mind when I'm about to put the piece of food in mouth or when I chewed the last bite I will eat. I've noticed that after surgery, it stays riiight on top of the esaphougs so I have another chance to spit it out before swalloing it completly.

Three weeks is still very early in the game. I took things super slow because I was afraid of things I heard.

I remember eating a hard boiled egg for the first time (probably around 4 weeks) thinking there was no way it would bother me. Oh, how wrong I was! It doesn't get much softer than a hard boiled egg but that didn't matter.

Dense meats like chicken can be tough and hard to keep down at first. My crock pot was my best friend. And for whatever reason ground beef wasn't too difficult.

Just take it slow, it does get better. Much better :)

At 3 weeks, definitely eat slower and chew your food much better than you normally chew! I also found it was best that I ate foods that were much more moist. So... I ate a lot of soupy foods. My episodes lasted 15-20 minutes for the most part. But there have been a few days when I go to sleep feeling absolutely sick from whatever I ate not going down well. Just learn your signs that you are getting full and listen to them! And again... moist foods go down much better.

At three weeks i would be eating really mellow foods that are wet and easy to digest - I was bolted to my food processor at that point and still use it a lot- I prefer pulled meats or even ground meats vs a solid steak! I would rather grind a nice rib eye then cook it whole. I prefer to not chew the hell out of everything that is why they made food processors and grinders. Better way to eat then using your mouth to grind up solids.

But we all have tested the belly and lost so like everyone else Trial and error and take it slow, Real slow. I

I had that a couple of days ago and it was no fun. It lasted about 30 to 45 minutes for me. I have really worked at setting my utensil down in between bites and taking only one small bite a minute. My dietitian recommends eating only canned meats during the soft food phase as it is cooked during the canning process and that makes it softer than cooked chicken.

What is clumping? Never heard of it.