Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's something you wish you had known before losing all the weight?

That I would look really good with clothes on, but not so great with clothes off.

collage.png

Disclaimer: I’m a bit socially awkward to begin with. But you will start to notice people noticing you (if you know what I mean). And it is puzzling at first until you remember that your not in the same body anymore. Your mind takes longer to catch up to the weight loss.

Not a bad thing, but people in general will respond more positively to you. I don’t know if it is a function of fat bias or changes in self esteem/confidence, but I definitely noticed a change.

I actually like going out to eat more now than I did before. Most of my frequent restaurants are used to me eating just a tiny bit. The reason I love it is because I can get a box and enjoy the leftovers for several more meals! It’s awesome. But, I can see how if the server is acting overly concerned that it could get awkward.

I wish I had saved up more money for clothes. I love clothes shopping so much now. My sense of style also changed completely. I think it’s because I feel more confident? I’m not sure.

On 01/30/2020 at 05:25, Lyndor said:

I went through a real low mood period post op where i cried a lot and felt very depressed. I thought id never enjoy food again.

My relationship with food is very very different now - things can be too sweet! Never thought THAT was possible, I hate meat, it makes me feel uncomfortable in my stomach and grosses me out. I dont generally enjoy food unless its actually something really really good. And i mentally have to know its healthy too or the joy is all gone.

Head hunger is 100% real and probably the most difficult part - even though i dont necessarily want food, when im bored i just eat. Ive learnt the way to help me say no to things is to think about their taste (weird concept i know!). For example, theres a chocolate cake on the table in the staff room I know what choc cake tastes like... so i dont need to eat it! Works well for me

I am barely a week post op and I find my food tastes horrible. My breath is horrific. I am so worried I am not getting enough Protein. I am struggling getting the food in. I feel as if I am failing at this and am worried that that I will become malnourished because lots of food, the thought of eating it is revolting. Everything I put in my mouth is awful. And despite the number of times I brush my teeth and tongue the awful mouth taste remains. Even Water is hard to get down. HELP.

On 1/30/2020 at 6:25 AM, Lyndor said:

I went through a real low mood period post op where i cried a lot and felt very depressed. I thought id never enjoy food again.

My relationship with food is very very different now - things can be too sweet! Never thought THAT was possible, I hate meat, it makes me feel uncomfortable in my stomach and grosses me out. I dont generally enjoy food unless its actually something really really good. And i mentally have to know its healthy too or the joy is all gone.

Head hunger is 100% real and probably the most difficult part - even though i dont necessarily want food, when im bored i just eat. Ive learnt the way to help me say no to things is to think about their taste (weird concept i know!). For example, theres a chocolate cake on the table in the staff room I know what choc cake tastes like... so i dont need to eat it! Works well for me

I am into the third week after my surgery and i also experience a low mood and I cried every day and fell very depressed thinking I will never enjoy food again I am glad to hear that I am not along and is part of the process for some people is been very difficult I can't wait for the time to go fast to feel better mentally.

On 02/22/2020 at 22:43, chalcrow said:

I am barely a week post op and I find my food tastes horrible. My breath is horrific. I am so worried I am not getting enough Protein. I am struggling getting the food in. I feel as if I am failing at this and am worried that that I will become malnourished because lots of food, the thought of eating it is revolting. Everything I put in my mouth is awful. And despite the number of times I brush my teeth and tongue the awful mouth taste remains. Even Water is hard to get down. HELP.

I am in the same boat. It has eased up a bit. I tried a new Protein Drink and I try to keep moving to get everything down

I am glad to hear you tried a new drink that is working for you. Today, luckily, the bad taste in my mouth is gone, and I have discovered that my body will accept Campbell’s bean and bacon Soup, puréed and liquified as well as the Habitant brand (Canadian) split pea soup. I have been able to enjoy that today and am so grateful. Still I find sweet foods so unappealing!! I am happy with that but my body sure doesn’t seem to like the whey Protein Powder at all. I am going to try to stay away from it for a day or so and see if that changes anything. Here’s hoping and fingers crossed! 👍🏻