Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories after VSG

I was wondering how many calories People averaged after VSG (sleeve). The first month after surgery? And moving forward. Or is there a guide? Or something. I started logging my food ( 2 days ago out of curiosity) and I’m barely getting 500 and I have to really push myself? Most of my calories come from my Protein Drink. (Which I love it’s my favorite of all the drinks I have tried) ensure MAX Protein stats are 150 calories- 30 g protein- 1.5 g fat- 1 g Sugar.
Any recommendations would help or guides or just personal experiences. I feel full and I can’t eat any more than I am currently eating. Is it normal.
Thank in advance.

Yeah on my RNY I was only on 400-500 call for like 2 months

600 is a good number for a couple of months. Crush off as much weight as you can in the first couple of months. You have a whole (now extended) lifetime to eat reasonable meals.

I wasn't given calorie goals, rather I have daily Protein goals. During two week liquid phase I need to get minimum of 45 grams of protein daily. I have been averaging about 60 to 75 daily with about 500-600 calories per day. I get to start on phase two on this Thursday, yeah! Phase two for me is pureed food for two weeks. For this phase I need to get a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day. Phase three is soft foods for two weeks, again getting minimum of 60 grams of protein each day. Phase four is to integrate regular foods back into my diet getting 60-80 grams of protein per day. Eating three meals a day with 1 to 2 Snacks. This is all based off the information given to me by my dietitian. So long story short I am concentrating on protein not calories.

Edited by Uomograsso

600 is good for the first couple of months

It's difficult getting calories in in the beginning. My doc told me just do what I can and not to force it. It will become easier as time goes on.

The first couple weeks, I got in maybe 400 cals PER WEEK, yikes.

Then at around the month mark to around month 3, I got in maybe 400-500 a day.

From months 3-7 it was about 700-800 a day, average.

Once I reached goal, I struggled to increase calories for a few months until I figured out I needed to stay around 1700-2000 a day to not lose nor gain weight.

Everybody is different though, and will be able to handle different calorie levels. Do what you can, no need to push it. So long as your labs keep coming back clean, I think you should be OK. But do check with your team if you are concerned.

Good Luck!

I'm one month out and consume 600-800cals/day. I feel like I am eating too much fwiw.

Edited by angryspice