Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to get a colonoscopy in a couple of months and the information sheet has no special instructions for the prep post-RNY. I wonder if the prep's gonna give me dumping syndrome? (snerk-just kidding on that part...) I have to drink 32 oz of Miralax in gatorade the first day, and then six hours before the procedure drink another 32 ounces.

Seriously, have any of y'all had one, and was anything different?

Yes, I had one and questioned the protocol of all that gatorade. They said any clear liquid not red, so ask.

2 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

I have to get a colonoscopy in a couple of months and the information sheet has no special instructions for the prep post-RNY. I wonder if the prep's gonna give me dumping syndrome? (snerk-just kidding on that part...) I have to drink 32 oz of Miralax in gatorade the first day, and then six hours before the procedure drink another 32 ounces.

Seriously, have any of y'all had one, and was anything different?

Yes, but I just used Water - not the Gatorade. Miralax does not taste bad - it's more of a nothing taste. Nothing like mag citrate which is horrible. I did not have any problem with it.

I had to drink a gallon of Nulytely. All the horror stories about the prep on the internet made me put off having one for a decade. Honestly, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I drew a line on a clear glass and drank one every 15 minutes. Mostly I didn't like being up until 2 a.m. to finish the prep. The colonoscopy itself was fine, I was sedated with propofol, recovered about 20 minutes after I woke up, and took a taxi home.

19 minutes ago, Foxbins said:

I had to drink a gallon of Nulytely. All the horror stories about the prep on the internet made me put off having one for a decade. Honestly, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I drew a line on a clear glass and drank one every 15 minutes. Mostly I didn't like being up until 2 a.m. to finish the prep. The colonoscopy itself was fine, I was sedated with propofol, recovered about 20 minutes after I woke up, and took a taxi home.

Don't put it off. I did for a couple of years and then had to have a piece of my colon removed because the polyp the found couldn't be removed during the colonoscopy. Luckily I now have 3 years to wait until the next one since the one I did in December prior to my surgery was clean.

There is a special prep that is less to drink that’s better for after gastric bypass surgery. I couldn’t use it since I’m allergic to it and mirilax. All I know is I had to do Clear Liquids three days prior, and the stuff I had to drink made me feel very sick. I started earlier so I had time to get it down. But I was much closer to post gastric bypass. It was a bit hellish and I had a upper endoscopy at the same time.

ive had colonoscopies before but not quite as bad as that one was and honestly if my dr wants another I’m going to demand an alternative.

Then not that long after, a few weeks or less, I had to clear out again for surgery. I had to drink magnesium citrate. Holy hell, I got shaking cold chills, instant intense pain and cramping after barely drinking part of the bottle.

It’s not my intention to scare you. I’m sure it will go fine. ask the doctors office about the special prep with less liquid to drink, I’m sorry I can’t remember the name.

there is a protocol using Dulcolax and Miralax that I used last time. I literally can’t swallow the usual prep that comes in a huge jug. It makes me gag. I’m having my first post-op colonoscopy next year and plan to use this prep again—it wasn’t fun but I could get it down. Ask your GI doctor. Good luck!

image-0.0029802322387695312.jpg

I've had several colonoscopies through the years--this is just the first after my RNY. I probably should call my bariatric surgeon's office to see if there is anything in the prep peculiar to bypass patients.

Izucks, the prep sheet I have has the same directions as the one you posted.

Edited by JRT Mom

i had my second colonoscopy in a year time.. the first colon prep was before bariatric surgery it was easier and lasted shorter .. after bariatric surgery it took me about 8 hours to finish off the prep... the prep is always the worst part of a colonoscopy.. during the colonoscopy your asleep and wake up after..the results had a few small polyps and they told me i did not have to come back for 5 years whoooooooo....

On 1/22/2020 at 10:56 PM, Foxbins said:

after bariatric surgery it took me 1 hour each to finish a glass.. almost 9 hours to finish the jug... that is a real horror story lol..