Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a gastric sleeve revision?

I had a lapband on 30 July 2007 and had it removed in 13 November 2007 due to slippage. In 21 November 2008 I had a gastric sleeve. The sleeve was not a true banana shape due to scar tissue. I started at 133 kgs and plateaued at 102kgs. In 2015 due to constant reflux I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia around my port entry which has given me a permanent gap at the LES. Since then I had put weight on due to menopause, HRT and stress by 4 kgs. Then in June 2018 I had a mild stroke due to BP and now I am 116kgs.
So options are to have sleeve revision with hiatus hernia fixed or gastric bypass. But I’m not sure of the complications about a bypass.

Edited by OutbackJo
Spelling

Bypass is the best decision ever for me I went from 146kgs to 87kgs so far

3 hours ago, OutbackJo said:

I had a lapband on 30 July 2007 and had it removed in 13 November 2007 due to slippage. In 21 November 2008 I had a gastric sleeve. The sleeve was not a true banana shape due to scar tissue. I started at 133 kgs and plateaued at 102kgs. In 2015 due to constant reflux I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia around my port entry which has given me a permanent gap at the LES. Since then I had put weight on due to menopause, HRT and stress by 4 kgs. Then in June 2018 I had a mild stroke due to BP and now I am 116kgs.
So options are to have sleeve revision with hiatus hernia fixed or gastric bypass. But I’m not sure of the complications about a bypass.

You have a few options as a revision but only a surgeon can direct you after testing

A reminder: This will be your 3rd WLS, if given the choice IMHO i would choose the most permanent one (DS/SIPS)

complications aren't that common, and most are minor and easily "fixable". For example, strictures - those are one of the more common complications, yet they only happen to about 5% of bypass patients, if that tells you anything. Really serious complications - like bowel obstructions - are really rare. A lot of us (probably most) have never had any complications at all. If that's what your surgeon is recommending given your health status, I'd seriously consider that and not worry too much about potential complications, which aren't likely to happen in the first place. It sounds like you're already dealing with a lot of issues from previous surgeries. If this will help with that, it'd be worth considering....

I had the sleeve in 2011 and then got horrible acid reflux and the sleeve was stretched some. My insurance wouldn't pay for the revision to bypass so I got the mini gastric bypass but I'm one of the ones that didn't get rid of the reflux with that so now the reflux is even worse and insurance still won't pay to fix it so I'm going back to Mexico for my 3rd wls. I'm really not happy about that but I need the reflux gone! What I can tell you about a revision, for me anyway, after the sleeve I felt no pain and went back to work in a week. After the mgb I was sore and exhausted. I went back to work after 2 weeks but I was so tired. And the weight loss is a little slower than the first time.

Mini/omega loop is well known for an increased risk of bile reflux. Not sure who advised you to get that done but I wouldnt be trusting them again.

I got sleeved 2016 now have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. Saw my doctor and after several tests will have gastric bypass in April 2020

3 hours ago, carlacv said:

I got sleeved 2016 now have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. Saw my doctor and after several tests will have gastric bypass in April 2020

What tests did they do and why did you choose the bypass?

I had the gastric sleeve 3 years ago and then I started having acid reflux. Told my surgeon about it he did two tests an endoscopy and barium test. Turned out I had a hiatal hernia. So in order to fix it I have to have surgery and while They fix it gonna have gastric bypass so it won’t returned