Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT THREAD

So everyone hears about the folks that are lucky enough to lose quickly and we see them lose 100lbs in 5 months but for many of us we lose slowly and feel like CRAP about it. This should be a place for us to talk about our frustrations and get advice or encouragement. Maybe you have found a way to speed up your weight loss through trial and error and that might help someone too. I know I work my ass off and I still lose slowly... and then every once in a blue moon ill lose quickly (for me anyway) but I can eat consistently in the mid 600's, Protein around 90, Water over 80oz and i workout hard at least an hour 6 days a week and i can lose - NOTHING. ZILCH. NADA and its upsetting as heck and makes me feel like complete failure. Before surgery when i did IF/ OMAD I lost a bunch of weight, way faster than I am now, barely exercised so I definitely have moments where i am like- Why did I even do this? Anyway, we all need to sound off at times or get encouragement or great advice and this is a safe place for you to do that and to know you are NOT alone.

You are not alone! You had your surgery 12 days before me and I am also a slow loser. I am down 50, so it's around 14 a month on average which I could never maintain prior to surgery. My most recent nutritionist visit she practically told me to double my calories a day ( I did not) But I do get to 800 a couple days a week, and the scale has been moving, but slow. Maybe try adding an extra 100 calories a day and see what that does for you? If you get the scale moving again (and you will) let me know what you did to help things along!

4 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

You are not alone! You had your surgery 12 days before me and I am also a slow loser. I am down 50, so it's around 14 a month on average which I could never maintain prior to surgery. My most recent nutritionist visit she practically told me to double my calories a day ( I did not) But I do get to 800 a couple days a week, and the scale has been moving, but slow. Maybe try adding an extra 100 calories a day and see what that does for you? If you get the scale moving again (and you will) let me know what you did to help things along!

50 is awesome. CONGRATS. Id love to be at 50. I am going to add extra calories starting today and see where I land. What do you average for Water and Protein and do you do several mini meals a day or ?? And do you workout? I feel like I am doing an informal scientific study trying to figure this all out. I mean all of ours bodies are different but it still helps to know how/what other slow losers are doing to help things along. .

Thanks for starting this thread. I blame myself a little bit, even though my eating was under control with portion sizes, I could have done more exercise and not gone overboard through the holidays. But I'm confident that the surgery was a good decision and that it's not too late for me to work the program, so I've recommitted to eating right (lowering my calories by 200/day) and get more exercise and so far this year it's going great.

But you're right, while I'm really happy for the successes of people who seem to lose 100 pounds overnight, I am also jealous/frustrated by it when it doesn't happen for me too.

To thanks for creating a place for us to vent.

45 minutes ago, Serengirl said:

So everyone hears about the folks that are lucky enough to lose quickly and we see them lose 100lbs in 5 months but for many of us we lose slowly and feel like CRAP about it. This should be a place for us to talk about our frustrations and get advice or encouragement. Maybe you have found a way to speed up your weight loss through trial and error and that might help someone too. I know I work my ass off and I still lose slowly... and then every once in a blue moon ill lose quickly (for me anyway) but I can eat consistently in the mid 600's, Protein around 90, Water over 80oz and i workout hard at least an hour 6 days a week and i can lose - NOTHING. ZILCH. NADA and its upsetting as heck and makes me feel like complete failure. Before surgery when i did IF/ OMAD I lost a bunch of weight, way faster than I am now, barely exercised so I definitely have moments where i am like- Why did I even do this? Anyway, we all need to sound off at times or get encouragement or great advice and this is a safe place for you to do that and to know you are NOT alone.

((hugs)) How much have you lost total since surgery, how tall are you and what is your goal/build like? Hang in there. Work the plan. Try not to compare it's the thief of joy. ((hugs))

Here's my last year's average loss. (I'm also here to support you guys!)

010220WLGraph.JPG.f3fa0868a690750c76cd4b79bf3f3242.JPG

Edited by FluffyChix

I’m here to lend support, I lost slow but I did get there. It was super frustrating at times. I started working out and posting here around 6 months post-op and it really helped. I had many months where I lost 2-6 pounds.

Here is my 1 year chart. 8/13/18 to 8/13/19. It looks smoother than reality, I didn’t record the slight bumps up and down. I was only eating an average of 700 calories a day and I knew I had not gained. I had to keep my head in the game and kept record of everything I ate. I still do. 05890F0A-E0C2-4763-82F1-4B4B42366148.thumb.jpeg.0cbbdf85e93a1bb60d2f6387be46d6d4.jpeg

Edited by Cheeseburgh

41 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

Average expected weight loss post surgery is 2-4lbs per week. I know it FEELS like you are losing slowly, but you are averaging 14lbs/mo and there are 4.33 weeks in a month: you actually at about the 75% percentile which is really really lovely!

Not trying to denegrate your perception. Cuz perception is real. But WE control our thoughts which then control our emotions. And my knowing that in reality you AREN'T a slow loser, would allow you to feel and understand the great progress you are making?

I shared your angst too...

58 minutes ago, Serengirl said:

50 is awesome. CONGRATS. Id love to be at 50. I am going to add extra calories starting today and see where I land. What do you average for Water and Protein and do you do several mini meals a day or ?? And do you workout? I feel like I am doing an informal scientific study trying to figure this all out. I mean all of ours bodies are different but it still helps to know how/what other slow losers are doing to help things along. .

I average 64 in Water which I want to get to 80 and 60 to 80 Protein which I think is decent. Lately I have been doing shakes for Breakfast and then a snack twice a day and a mini meal for lunch or a shake and then about a 250 to 300 cal dinner. I have been sick since Christmas day and just have not felt like exercising. I was before I was sick, just walking but it has to help, right?

Fuffychick, well if you put it that way... ok I do feel better once it is put like that! Thank-you!

1 minute ago, Lynda486 said:

Fuffychick, well if you put it that way... ok I do feel better once it is put like that! Thank-you!

Blame Dr. Now of My 600lb Life. I think my fastest weight loss for one month was like 14lbs? Then it fell well below that. You 2 will not believe where you will be in 1 year's time if you stay the course and follow your path and plan! ((hugs)) You are both doing SO WELL!!!!

Now that I can do the elliptical, I am hoping to start losing more. I am satisfied with my current loss even though its slow. I have lost more inches than anything. I was a tight 22/24 and I can fit into an 18/20 and 22/24's are too baggy.

Great thread btw!

Where do you get that weight graph? That looks like a great way (weigh) to track your weight!

5 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

Where do you get that weight graph? That looks like a great way (weigh) to track your weight!

MFP - My Fitness Pal - you weigh into their weight area and it generates a graph. :)

Thanks! I'll check it out.

ps I went low-tech and printed a piece of graph paper. On the y axis I put my weight and on the x axis the date. It surely makes the weight loss look dramatic!

Edited by JRT Mom

Everybody is different whether it genetics or metabolism.