Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am SO hungry!!! Conversion Surgery Sleeve to Bypass

Hi Everyone!

I was sleeved 23.08.19 but due to complications I have been in and out of hospital since. To resolve the complications, I had conversion to by pass surgery on 13.12.19.

Surgery went well, I was discharged a few days later. However this time is completely different! After my sleeve, I was never hungry. This time round I am constantly hungry, I never feel full, I am craving solid food terribly and I am so emotional. I’ve also had more pain in my abdomen ( not the incisions but inside of that makes sense).

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Or started food earlier? I was just thinking something like skips or breadsticks with hummus/cream cheese high Protein yet dissolve to nothing.

If you have any advice or tips please let me know :)

did your surgeon prescribe an antacid? Many of them do for the first 3-6 months after surgery. Stomach acid can sometimes mimic hunger.

if you're still on a liquid or pureed diet, you're not going to feel "full". Those things go right through you. Plus your nerves were likely cut during surgery, and it takes awhile for them to regenerate. You should start feeling restriction once you move to solid food.

I would not start food early. Follow your surgeon's plan.

My experience was opposite. I was sleeved early 2018. Never lost my appetite with the sleeve. Hunger was a constant battle.

Revised to bypass 4 weeks ago and have to force myself to eat. Never hungry and nothing tastes the same as it did pre op.

I am following dr plan to the letter. If you were to go off plan and eat carbs you may find that they either make you sick or even more hungry. Possibly both.

Try to increase Fluid intake and stick to plan. Call your dr if you still find hunger to be troublesome. Maybe they will have some ideas for you.

I can barely get a few teaspoons of dense Protein in and I am stuffed.

Good luck and hang in there!

did your surgeon prescribe an antacid? Many of them do for the first 3-6 months after surgery. Stomach acid can sometimes mimic hunger.
if you're still on a liquid or pureed diet, you're not going to feel "full". Those things go right through you. Plus your nerves were likely cut during surgery, and it takes awhile for them to regenerate. You should start feeling restriction once you move to solid food.< br> I would not start food early. Follow your surgeon's plan.

Thank you for your response. I’m on an antacid but because I have not suffered with reflux since the surgery, I have not taken it everyday and I hadn’t thought about it like that.
Yes, I am still on liquid stage so I’m never satisfied because as you said it just passes straight through me. I was never a poor or a massive over eater prior to the surgery, (I had to have it for medical reasons) so to feel sooo hungry is a strange feeling.
I can start purée on Christmas Day so hopefully that will make a difference along with the antacid!
Thanks again for your advice.

Im 10 days post op and i'm starving

I feel your pain! Especially at this time of year when everything is about food.< br>
Honestly after my sleeve in August I had to force feed myself because at a check up they said I was malnourished because I was never hungry, now I feel like I’m eating nothing but losing nothing so it’s not worth it.

I had the sleeve two years ago, was starving all the time, had revision in July to mini bypass. Best thing I ever did. Rarely ever hungry and lost weight extremely fast. The only thing with the bypass is since you don't absorb all your food, you are on toilet all day...I barely make it after I eat but I am so happy I did it!!!!! The other thing is my taste buds changed I hate chips and crackers and bread now they taste disgusting but I love fruit

I had the bypass in January and right from day 1 I was STARVING. Im still hungry all the time. Its a nightmare. I struggle every single day to not eat too much because Im hungry every 2 hours like clockwork and it isnt head hunger

34 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I had the bypass in January and right from day 1 I was STARVING. Im still hungry all the time. Its a nightmare. I struggle every single day to not eat too much because Im hungry every 2 hours like clockwork and it isnt head hunger

That could be because you can’t eat very much at a time? My dr told me that I will feel like I am grazing in the beginning but my goal is to get to eating 3 meals and 2 healthy Snacks per day.

Have you tried eating low carb/ low calorie fillers? Like vegetables, salad, etc?

i know that my appetite will return. When that happens my plan is to keep lots of raw veggies and a low calorie Greek yogurt veggie dip on hand at all times.

I do understand what you are going through. I went through the exact same with my sleeve. Hang in there and try to devise a plan for healthy options for the rough times. Once you reach a year out, the weight will come back on quickly if we are not careful.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, Losingit2018 said:

That could be because you can’t eat very much at a time? My dr told me that I will feel like I am grazing in the beginning but my goal is to get to eating 3 meals and 2 healthy Snacks per day.

Have you tried eating low carb/ low calorie fillers? Like vegetables, salad, etc?

i know that my appetite will return. When that happens my plan is to keep lots of raw veggies and a low calorie Greek yogurt veggie dip on hand at all times.

I do understand what you are going through. I went through the exact same with my sleeve. Hang in there and try to devise a plan for healthy options for the rough times. Once you reach a year out, the weight will come back on quickly if we are not careful.

Im almost at a year. I've been struggling all along so nothing has changed really. Im getting an upper GI in a few days to see if anything if physically wrong