Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you guys start the gym?

Just wanted to know when did everyone surgeon say it was okay for you to work out? I kind of really want to avoid the extra skin from hanging and get my tone on lol

Edited by Isabelmonster

Saw surgeon about 3 weeks out he said light weights. Light cardio. Is wait 6 weeks to be safe

Just started last week my Doc said 4 months before cross fit, But light weights not sure of - The cross fit does help with the skin issue,

But dang it sucks big time

I could walk right away. I was cleared for most things at four weeks out. For weights, I had to wait eight weeks.

Depending on your age and how much weight you lose, loose skin will probably be unavoidable. Toning may help some, but you may still be "blessed" with it. Fortunately, most of us can hide it pretty well.

Agree with @catwoman7

Your surgeon’s will give you a release to do more than walking.

Exercise will compliment your weight loss. Lifting has helped me gain muscle and fill out the skin a bit. I still have loose skin but it’s livable and hides easily.

7 hours ago, Isabelmonster said:

Just wanted to know when did everyone surgeon say it was okay for you to work out? I kind of really want to avoid the extra skin from hanging and get my tone on lol

I was cleared for everything at 6 weeks (but I was walking since post-op day 1). I didn't actually do more than walking until about 8 weeks though...hot yoga, zumba, rock climbing, upgraded my walking to alternate jogging laps. I also did minimal strength training (and still do), but only because I hate it, not because I can't.

These days I run 5km a day and do 15 mins of strength training on some body part or another every day. (Full disclosure, I was off my running routine for about 2 weeks to due illness and laziness, but am back on the wagon as of this morning!)

I have loose skin.

Agree with @catwoman7 as well: loose skin after massive weight loss is pretty much unavoidable except for the lucky few.

Also agree with @Healthy_life2: strength training/lifting helps to tone and fill in a bit, but will not eradicate the loose skin completely.

I will say this from my experience though: I really, really, really hated the look of my loose skin about 15-20 lbs ago, I guess because there was still some fat under there and gave it a rolling look. Now, that I'm leaner, the look is not as bad, to me at least (still hate it, but I'd remove the 3 "really's" now, lol). In my "problem areas", the skin looks more like wrinkled fabric now and is much more easily hidden...so this is less annoying to me.

With that said, I am scheduled for an arm lift and breast lift revision (to address side boob) next week, which was scheduled 6 months ago. I was thinking I wanted a Tummy Tuck too, but I have since decided that I can live with it as the loose skin is limited to above my belly button (you can see a pic of how I hide this in the "Albums" section in my profile)

...my butt is another story. I have been doing lots of butt exercises but there doesn't seem to be much improvement there. Mr. says it may be because my ratio of running to weight training is too long-distance-running-centric: Weight training plumps the butt, endurance running flattens it. He suggested I add in some short distance sprinting in my runs, which I tried this morning, but I'm not sure I like doing it in and around the neighbourhood, lol...I will try it on the treadmill tomorrow.

Wow, I just re-read this post. Sorry it's so long!

Had my surgery 11/18 saw my doctor yesterday said its fine for me to go back to the gym doing cardio but no weights as of yet since i also had a hernia removed....i went back to the gym this morning did 45mins of cardio it felt great my only issue so far is sipping im so used to chugging Water down that it annoys me to sip at it

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

I was cleared for everything at 6 weeks (but I was walking since post-op day 1). I didn't actually do more than walking until about 8 weeks though...hot yoga, zumba, rock climbing, upgraded my walking to alternate jogging laps. I also did minimal strength training (and still do), but only because I hate it, not because I can't.

These days I run 5km a day and do 15 mins of strength training on some body part or another every day. (Full disclosure, I was off my running routine for about 2 weeks to due illness and laziness, but am back on the wagon as of this morning!)

Did you always enjoy working out? And if not, what got you loving it? I hate exercising and that seems to be the struggle lol I cant even imagine running everyday...

Had my surgery 11/18 saw my doctor yesterday said its fine for me to go back to the gym doing cardio but no weights as of yet since i also had a hernia removed....i went back to the gym this morning did 45mins of cardio it felt great my only issue so far is sipping im so used to chugging Water down that it annoys me to sip at it

I have my followup today. 1 week and 1 day post op. Hoping to get cleared for the gym to just go on treadmill for a walk only and bike. I would love for that to happen.

Edited by RowdyR3b3l18

Every doc is different. mine cleared me for crossfit two weeks after surgery. im doing just fine and never had any issues. good luck and whenever you do start, stick with it!! enjoy this.

5 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

Did you always enjoy working out? And if not, what got you loving it? I hate exercising and that seems to be the struggle lol I cant even imagine running everyday...

Hecks no. I never worked out pre-op. I barely even walked. I was in terrible shape and would avoid anything that would have me getting sweaty or out of breath or hurt my feet or knees...which was basically everything.

Now I can honestly say that I love running. I also regularly enjoy hot yoga, zumba & swimming. I think I stated to like it based on on how I felt afterwards (endorphins, baby), and the sense of accomplishment. I feel like all that and a bag of chips after I finish a run or when I can keep up with the yoga instructor...my already inflated sense of confidence gets even more inflated. I love it, LOL.

P.S. I do really hate strength training though. I do not enjoy it one bit and am generally angry when I do it, for reals...which is why I only do 15 mins of it a day....but i have seen results from it so I keep at it. It's a necessary evil.

Edited by ms.sss

16 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Hecks no. I never worked out pre-op. I barely even walked. I was in terrible shape and would avoid anything that would have me getting sweaty or out of breath or hurt my feet or knees...which was basically everything.

Now I can honestly say that I love running. I also regularly enjoy hot yoga, zumba & swimming. I think I stated to like it based on on how I felt afterwards (endorphins, baby), and the sense of accomplishment. I feel like all that and a bag of chips after I finish a run or when I can keep up with the yoga instructor...my already inflated sense of confidence gets even more inflated. I love it, LOL.

P.S. I do really hate strength training though. I do not enjoy it one bit and am generally angry when I do it, for reals...which is why I only do 15 mins of it a day....but i have seen results from it so I keep at it. It's a necessary evil.

Maybe I just need to dive in and try something hoping i like it. The way you were pre-op towards exercise is the way i am now. I hate sweating and I get out of breathe easily.

Its crazy what a ton of extra weight can do. When I was younger I was a very active tomboy who loved sports and was good at most of them. I was the one picked first on teams and i didn't care about getting dirty. That's not me anymore. I'm 26 now (still young although i don't feel like it) and the weight changed me to the point where I too, barely walk.

I would love just 1% of that confidence you have! lol it'd be a miracle if I was doing all the activity you do.

Ill keep that strength training in mind. I know im going to have a ton of lose skin... its already starting 😕

48 minutes ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

Maybe I just need to dive in and try something hoping i like it. The way you were pre-op towards exercise is the way i am now. I hate sweating and I get out of breathe easily.

Its crazy what a ton of extra weight can do. When I was younger I was a very active tomboy who loved sports and was good at most of them. I was the one picked first on teams and i didn't care about getting dirty. That's not me anymore. I'm 26 now (still young although i don't feel like it) and the weight changed me to the point where I too, barely walk.

I would love just 1% of that confidence you have! lol it'd be a miracle if I was doing all the activity you do.

Ill keep that strength training in mind. I know im going to have a ton of lose skin... its already starting 😕

Maybe I just need to dive in and try something hoping i like it.

Tip? Start small, if you go too big, too fast, you may get discouraged and stop. I honestly started with walking around my kitchen island! After a week or so I ventured outside and walked around the block. It was only 600m around the block, but it took me roughly 20 mins to complete. But it was a start. I had also took a tap dancing class in month 2, but stopped going after the first class cuz I got crazy sore the next day (who knew tap dancing was so strenuous? lol). Looking back it was too advanced for my level at the time. Good news is I went back a couple months ago and I try to go to a drop in class once a week or so with my sister-in-law. :)

Its crazy what a ton of extra weight can do

I know right? The cruel irony is that the bigger one is, the harder it is to start/maintain, but its the opposite for the smaller person. Starting (and the next subsequent attempts) is the hardest part. But you've gotten this far, why not go even further...You can do it ❤️

I would love just 1% of that confidence you have!

Nothing feels better than confidence. Period. :1352_muscle_tone3:

Edited by ms.sss

I have been a life-long hater of sports and exercise. The only thing that works for me is to watch a really good movie or TV show (something with lots of action or fast-moving drama) while using the elliptical. (It would work as well on a treadmill if you prefer that.)

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app