Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op healing - How long till I can return to work?

Hey Y'all.

Had a quick question. I'm starting the process of getting the surgery. I'm 26, about to be 27 on 11/20. I currently don't have any major health problems but qualify for surgery due to my BMI being 44.2.

I was just wondering how the healing process was? My surgeon said it could take up to two weeks after the surgery. I don't have much PTO with my work so I'm wondering if I would be able to go to work. I work at a call center and sit 98% of the time. My idea was to have my surgery on a Friday, have Sat and Sun off, and then request Monday and Tuesday off with work... would this be enough time?

Thanks.

you may need a few more days, I just started to feel better on my 4th day of healing. Once I started to feel better there was no going back to the rough first few days but also wasn't ready for work. I had my surgery on a Thursday and would say I may have been work worthy the following Friday. I would also tell you to keep in mind that you will need to keep getting up and walking, you mentioned your job is sitting but too much sitting for too long is not good, you will need breaks to get up and do some laps every hour, hope everything works out for your days off

Hi Rachael!
Congratulations on going through the process of getting surgery, it’s a big step to take. I had surgery on Halloween and just went back to work this week. If you have the surgery Friday you will probably stay until Saturday if all things go well, but then only having 3 days at home before going back to work doesn’t seem like enough to me. Your energy will probably be less and sticking to a schedule to make sure you get your fluids and Protein is a job in itself not to mention that you might be in pain. I totally could have went back a week after surgery but I took extra to make sure I was healing. I know everyone is different but I would try for a week off, it’s going to be a change in lifestyle so it could be a little hard. Good luck with everything!

Took a full week for me but if you get up and walk sip walk sip will help speed it up - You may be uncomfortable but you should be able to get back to work

I had my sleeve on a Tuesday and honestly, I could have been at work that Thursday and Friday if I had to. I was able to work from home the next week and could have gone in the office. We're younger, which helps us a lot.

some people do feel ready to go back to work within a few days. It took me about two weeks to reach that point. It's a pretty individual thing....

I had my surgery 9/16, was in the hospital until 9/20 due to complications. I run the front half of non profit medical clinic so I am up and down all day (But only one day a week). I ended up going back to work on October 9th, and it was a little early for me but I got through it.

I think it is an individual thing. A lot of things fit into the equation, like age, weight, type of surgery, and individuals pain tolerance etc. I wish you the best on your journey!

I wasn't even able to drive until day 5 but it was exhausting and I didn't want to be out if public for the first week. I would really try to get a full week. If you can take a full week and even the next week go back on Tue. or Wed. so you know if you can get thru a few days you would have another weekend to rest up before going back for a full 5 days. The other option is if you can go back after a week but work a shorter shift. That would probably mean a shorter commute time if you had less traffic too.

My surgery was on a Tuesday and I went back to work the following Monday, no problems. At about the 4th post-op day, I didn't have much pain anymore.

The biggest issue for me was fatigue. I was lucky that I was able to work from home that first week back and I could take breaks as needed. But that also poses problems. One lunch break I sat down in the easy chair and fell asleep for an hour and a half! The fatigue lasted about a month or 2. My husband said that every Thursday night he could count on me falling asleep in the chair in front of the TV.

Of course, you're much younger than I am, so maybe you'll bounce back a little faster. I guess my point is, you CAN return to work in about 5 days, but do you want to? I realize you may NEED to, but I would certainly schedule things strategically so that you have the longest amount possible and be prepared to need frequent breaks and feel exhausted.

I was off work for 5 days. Had surgery on a Wednesday, went back to work the following Monday. I was really tired and low energy, but got through it just fine.

I have a desk job. I was back at it within 4 days if I remember correctly.

I have surgery planned on 12/12 and I put in to have off work until 12/18 so 6 days, but I guess it depends on complications. I feel this will be enough time. I work a desk job and will just have to be mindful of getting up and walking.

I am I the same boat, desk job, but have 8 days off with the Christmas and new year's holidays included. Im not trying to scare anyone here, but for anyone having surgery, I can not express enough to get up once an hr and walk! This relieves most gas pain and prevents post surgical blood clots that can easily travel to your heart, head or lungs and put you in the ER. Best of luck to you!

I agree. I've had surgery before and was up and walking asap. I feel if you put mind over matter it will be easier to return to work faster. Being tough and making it through is the goal 💪