Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i've been banded for almost 2 months and feel like i've gotten nowhere. I'm 5lbs heavier then i was pre op and possibly more since initially having my surgery. I was doing well and then fell off the wagon once i got to solids. having binge weekends and trying to be good during the week.

I've just got back into the gym slowly but surely, and yet the scale barely moves. i flutter between a few pounds and it's frustrating. I've had one fill and i'm going for my second this week.

I looked at my weight calendar and i way 10lbs more then i did a year ago(sad but true). i've been eating better but i don't know what i'm doing wrong....it's frustrating and especially with the holidays coming up i wanna show off the new me...but really feel like there's nothing to show but failure.:help:

Smiley,

I am really sorry that you are feeling so low and your banding isn't giving you the results you want. I am really new at this so I am not sure I have any advice that would be credible.

I pray that you are able to make the band work for you.

I know the band is not the miracle, and it is easy to second guess the decision (band versus bypass). But ultimately, the decision and the action required to be successful is ours.

You can do this, dig deep and find it within yourself to make this work... Now, I expect you to get on track, and be prepared to give me this very pep talk when I slide a little... :)

Good luck....

Tell your doctor what's going on and see about getting an aggressive fill. Not responding to the first fill is totally normal. The difference that I see is that you are just "giving up". Believe me, when the restriction kicks in it will be MUCH easier to stick to it. But you have to retrain your eating habits. I have yo-yo dieted my whole life (45+ years) and considered it completely impossible for me to lose weight and keep it off. I have been SHOCKED at how well I have done with the band. I have worked at it, let there be no doubt about that...but I am also human and I have slacked off on my exercising though my diet has been carefully watched. I am still losing. When I approach food I actually THINK before I eat or order now. I never did that before. The band isn't a license to retain your old habits and if you do, you will find a way to "work around" your band...but with determination (and I don't mean like you've had to do in the past) you can change it!

Smiley, I am familiar with your story. Rememer the band is a tool to help you through this, so you should definitely get more restricition.

Secondly, you must be honesty with yourself about what you're eating. You should track all the food that you eat, even on binge weekends. 3500 extra calories equal a pound. so, if you down 2 bags of chips in a weekend that is almost equal to an extra pound.

I have no restriction right now because of a leak and a flipped port. I can eat whatever I want... not that I should. I really ate a lot on Thanksgiving, but I put myself in check and logged my food for it. That turkey dinner was 1,000 calories alone!!! That is all I am supposed to have in a day....oh well, we all slip sometimes and I must move on.

Also, try to get more active. Start with a 10 minute walk and then gradually move to 30. I am maintaining by doing 1 hour of exercise a day.

I think we have all been there, don't give up...just a week ago I was so hungry I could eat a cow.....I was banded on 11/13/07 just a week ago and I have been sooooo hungry before and after my surgery. so What I did was I thought long and hard on my twenty year struggle with food and that my Lap Band was not going to perform a miracle for me. I had to make the change for myself, for my health, for my family.

I also suggest you get a stronger fill I think once you are really restricted you will feel the weight come off because you will not be eating the same. I have not yet gotten a fill but I will this coming week. I am looking forward to it......

Hi Smiley!

It sounds like your life as a new bandster has gotten off to a rocky start! Changing life-long habits is very difficult, so don't waste any more of your energy beating yourself up. Here's my best "tough-love" advice to get your butt back in gear!! LOL!!

1. Change the voice inside your head--I can hear it telling you "I can't do this! I'm a failure!" Knock it off! Replace that old, tired tape with something positive. "I can do this! I am changing my eating habits! I eat to live--I don't live to eat!"

2. Review the eating plan you got from your doctor or nutrtionist. Plan your meals ahead of time as much as possible and keep a simple food log (grams of Protein, calories, ounces of Water, etc. per day). Keep the foods you need on hand like sources of lean Protein and nutritious veggies. Try not to sabotage yourself by eating a lot of carbs and keep your salt intake down (think protein first, veggies next, and carbs last).

3. Drink your water/Crystal Light, etc. between meals! If you don't stay hydrated enough, you could retain Water.< /p>

4. Exercise! If all you can do is walk right now...just do it!!! Go swimming if you can. Ride a bike! If you move it, you'll lose it! Another great side effect of exercise is that is brightens your mood and relieves stress!

I hope this little "pep talk" helps! If you need any more information, feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to help if I can.

You can do this--it's time to turn things around!