Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting to know you ...

Hello Friends,

I'm a 53 yr old (to be 54 in mid Jan), married 2 1/2 yrs for a wonderful guy, been with him 6 yrs and we live 22 miles south of Boston, Massachusetts. I was married very young at 19 to my 1st husband and had two daughters that are now 33 & 34! I still can't believe it - where has the time gone! My 1st and I were only married for 4 yrs. I raised my girls alone (by choice - found out he was involved with drugs and wouldn't give it up or get help). I stayed single up until I met my new husband 6 yrs ago. My oldest is married and gave me two wonderful grandkids, my grandson, Alexander 14 and granddaughter Kaitlynd 13. My youngest just graduated cosmotology school after working for a couple of years in the food industry after graduating from cullinary arts school, she had to find herself I guess - I think this is it for her now. We also have four cats that we love as our children. Can you tell I love cats? If it was possible to have a wild cat in the house I would, lol.

I worked for 20 + yrs in business after receiving my b degree in business. When the last company I worked for as a buyer sold out and laid everyone off, I made a drastic career change. I went to esthetics (skin care) school (I was tired of the rat race and stressful jobs) - I needed sanity! The kids were also out of college and on their own so it made it possible. Best thing I ever did. Three years ago I opened my own skin care business. I have struggled with it but absolutely love my new work. Thank goodness I have a husband who can carry the load of the house etc. but it's not easy - so so far so good though. I am affected by the slow economy right now but think positively for the future.

I have been overweight at 190 lbs at 5'5" most of all my adult life, dieting my whole life, losing gaining losing and then gaining more and more, out of control! Can't do it anymore, I'm tired, and I'm at my highest now at 246. Learned about the Lapband on line a few months ago by accident and never looked back. Read as much as I could about it and made the decision this was for me, talked to my hubby about it and made him my support system at home, he's happy about it. He just want me to be happy. Now just waiting for Dec 17th to start the pre-op diet and being banded on the 27th, woohoo!

I wish everyone the very best of luck with your banding and a great healthy future to enjoy your life with your family! Thank you for sharing your story with everyone - it's wonderful to read from people all over the country/world.

Happy holidays!

Hello everyone,

I am a forty year old single woman living in Sacramento, CA. I am the Director of Membership for a professional medical association. I purchased my own home three years ago. I love reading, writing and vacationing. My favorite vacation spot is Las Vegas, although I do love cruises as well. Going on a cruise to Alaska this May. Really looking forward to that. I love sports, football, baseball, and hockey are my favorites. Go Raiders! I am a true die hard. I grew up in Oakland, CA with brief stints in Kansas City, Sacramento, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Stepfather was a truck driver, we went were he went.

I have been overweight since high school. And finally decided enough was enough, after years of going up and down with one diet or another, it was time to get this under control.

Hello to you all

My name is Amy. I grew up, and still live in Perth, Western Australia. I was banded on the 13th November '07.

My husbands name is John, we have been married for 8 years, and together for 15 years. We have 2 children, Madi who is 12, and Aiden who is 9. Both Madi and Aiden are sports mad, they both play Tee Ball at State level (we just had a big carnival today), Madi will probably go on to Baseball next year.

I have been overweight since being pregnant with Madi, put on 25kg with her, and then more and more after that - since then it's just been the whole lose it gain it + gain more (as I'm sure you all know).

I really love walking, I find that's my zone out time, where I really don't think about anything at all. We have a dog called Sandy - she's a beautiful Mastiff... but is a lazy walker lol..

John is a Welder/Boilermaker and I am not currently working, but will be returning to work in the new year. I work in Aged Care, my last position was Nightshift Co-Ordinater. I love and respect most elderly people, I think there is a lot we can learn from them, and try instill these beliefs in my children.

I am a bit of a bookworm and like to read a range of different types of books. I am also finding myself visiting this message board more frequently than I really should, lol, but I think that's because I'm hungry for information, even though I considered myself well informed before I got my band (researched for about a year before I took the jump).

Anyway - enough of my blah blah..

It's nice to have read about you all... thanks for sharing your stories. Amy

I'm Christi (in real life). I have been married to dh for 12 1/2 years and we have 2 fantastic little boys (age 7 1/2 and almost 2). My little one will be 2 on New Year's Eve. I am an X-ray tech and work part-time at a hospital here in St. Louis. So, I really dreaded the pre-op Upper GI and really really dreaded the post-op gastrografin swallow since I do such mean horrible things to other people!

I am 32 now,and have been overweight since around the age of 8. I have tried every diet known, and finally took the plunge with the lap-band on Nov. 19. I was scared of the surgeries because I have seen some of the complications that can occur, so I really resisted the idea of this until a few months ago. I regret nothing. My in-shape husband and VERY active boys struggled a little bit today to keep up with me.....it's amazing how much energy losing 17lbs. will give you! They're going to have to watch out...I am enjoying the energy that I haven't had, that they have taken for granted! :)

Looking forward to getting to know all of you better!

Hi everyone I am almost 40 and live in Illinios with my 2nd husband of 7 wonderful yrs. I have 2 children a handsome son who will be 18 next month whoo whoo and a beautiful daughter 15. My husband has 3 children boy 14 girl 13 and a nother son 11 who are also here most of the time:help: lol and we had a dog together shelylynn as I tell ppl. My bestfriend had gasteric by-pass done in june 07 and has lost 95 pds,she looks so good ,but I didn't want to go that way for many reasons.It took a while for my insurance to approve my lapband but finially did I get banded in 4 days i am very excited. I am on the liquid diet now and am doing a lot better then I thought I would on it. I am looking for recipes now so if other members have any please let me know. thank you and good luck everyone.