Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting to know you ...

Howdy! (since Im from Texas, I thought Id give everyone the greeting they'd expect)

My names Tiffaney. Im 22, banded in Feb. Always been fat and miserable, until now anyways. I am attending a university- TexasState-Go Bobcats!- and graduate on Dec 14 with a BS in Zoology and a minor in biochemistry. Zoology is a branch of biology that deals with animals. It includes a lot of feild work and timeoutside. I want to go to grad school eventually and attain my PhD and teach at a university. I feel thatmany people dont like science is because they have teachers how just can't teach. I lead study groups for peers all the time and have been told I can teach..so.. Plus I love the thought of spreading my knowledge to others.

I enjoy reading books and am currently working my way through the classics.. I love Jane Austin..my fav TV show is MASH, I own all the seasons. I also enjoy classic movies and am a big fan of Carey Grant. Oldies music too..Elvis!

I live with a house full of animals, several of which were abused. My cat was thrown out of a car on the interstate as a baby, my snake used to have people throw burning cigarettes into his tank, my tortise was left in an apartment to die, and my Chi was being kept in a birdcage as a puppy...my other dog is an English Bull Terrier, just 9 months is is my terror!

I train dogs in my free time and also volunteer with mentally and physically handicapped children ride horses once a week.

My mother is overweight as well as my older sister, and while both are happy for me, at the same time they are jealous, so it kinda can make it hard on me, but I just tell myslef that they love me.

And this is me...O my favorite game I play with people is the random fact game...you swap random facts with people...my favorite one that always amazes people is .."female hyenas have a pseudo-penis which is believed to help them remain dominat over thier male counterparts.." cool right!

This is so great, I love reading everyone's stories!! I was born and still live in Bismarck, ND. I am an only child and have been overweight since I was 5 yrs old (guess my parents fed me for all the kids they wish they had, haha) I have a degree in social work and have worked in a nursing home, hospital, homeless shelter and now work for county social services with elderly and disabled (including hospice and traumatic brain injuries) connecting them with community services in order to avoid nursing home placement.

I have 2 kids, a boy 14 and girl 17 and a cat. I am divorced but live with my fiance. We went to school together and I had a huge crush on him 30 yrs ago....and still do.

My proudest accomplishment (other than kids, of course) is that I got my motorcycle license 2 yrs ago. I got tired of waiting for a man to come along to give me a ride so I ride my own now!

My decision to do the band came after watching bypass patients in the hospital where I worked and others and then watching my 2 best friends go through lap-band. I knew I didn't want bypass because of complications I had observed. The band has proved to be a safer choice for me. I have never been successful at losing more than 15-20 lbs and the weight was wrecking my knees and I was tired of trying things that didn't work. I still have a lot of work to do with the issues behind the overeating, but now I have one more tool to be successful. (I also want to look better in my leathers!)

My worst wt loss experience was when I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. The school nurse came to my class weekly and took me out to the office to weigh me and tell me I needed to lose weight. I saw thate nurse at a professional meeting we both attended after I gratuated from college and had to go to the bathroom to throw up. I wish I had the assertiveness then that I have now.

I was banded on 11/6 and on a new, positive journey for myself and with my family. The future is looking great. I love this website, the people who give of themselves when they post.

Thanks everyone,

Penny

turned 45 on 11/11

Down 15 lbs since surgery

Hi my name is Lisa. I live in Gainesville Fl. I was banded on Nov. 19th and doing well. I have been married 29 years to my guy and we have 3 sons. Eric is 26 and living on his own. Chris is going to be 24 Dec. 2nd and is applying for grad school and Brian (my baby) is 22 and is a junior in the Landscape Architecture program at the Univ. of Florida. I recently lost my other "baby" after 12.5 wonderful years with her. She was a beautiful husky mix and I miss her terribly! I work at the Univ. of Fl. in the Cancer Center doing regulatory work for clinical trials in pediatric hematology/oncology. It's really nice to have you guys out there so there's someone to go through all this with. Looking forward to talking with any and all of you. This is great!

Lisa

Jenn here! I live in Michigan with my husband of 11.5 years and our 3 children. I am a general manager for Wendy's. Yeah, I know, I need a new job, being addicted to food and working around food is not good. As Dr. Phil would say, "how's that workin' for ya?" I enjoy reading and scrapbooking as well as reading about scrapbooking....and of course the message boards! One of my closest friends got "banded" in February and she has been an inspiration to me and has held my hand every step of the way. My kids stop me from putting "inappropriate" food in my mouth, or so says my 8 year old daughter! I couldn't ask for a more supportive family.

Oh yeah, I'm 33, my children are 13, 11 and almost 9. 2 boys and my princess respectively. My kids read nutrition labels now, I think that is remarkable!

My motivation for having this surgery was to prevent the comorbidities that were heading my way. I see my gramma struggle with her diabetes and know that I don't want to go that route.

Thank you all for taking the time to post and read these bio's.

Ok, I guess it's my turn:

My name is Judy (43 yrs) and am married to my DH Roger for 20 years. Two daughters, 12 & 11 yrs old. Dog (Scooter) & cat (Scruffy).

I was born & raised in San Diego, California. Rec'd my degree in Information Science. Had both of my children there and then took a job with a company that moved the entire family out to Dayton Ohio. Company paid for the entire move! Even flew us out first class!

I worked there for two additional years while my husband career started to take off (he's an engineer). Once things were settled, I resigned from my 9-5 job to stay at home with the kids. Once the kids were in school during the day, I took a job at our Church as the Church Secretary. I work from 9 - 2 and get home in time for my kids to get off the bus. They think I'm still a stay at home mom! I put them on the bus in the morning and pick them up off the bus in the afternoon - they have no idea what I do in between!

After that, it's running them around. Two different Girl Scout Troops, Choir, Band, you know the drill......

I had fought the weight battle most of my life (chubby kid, chunky teen, and then all out pig when I moved out on my own). It got up to 180lbs.

Finally went to Jenny Craig. Worked great for a few years. I lost 40 lbs and stayed very active at the gym.

Then...it happened....I got pregnant twice in a row and never lost the weight from either pregnancy. I'd try to diet, but gained back more. So I'd diet again, and gain back more. I did Weight Watchers so many times I can't count. I started so many arobics classes & failed. Eventually, I simply gave up. Forget it. I'm just fat and will be fat the rest of my life.

Wow - was I depressed.

Well, needless to say, I'm newly banded (11/20) and back on the yellow brick road (or LapBandPath) as BandPal says!

I'm so glad to have found so many friends that have had the same battles & troubles & rude stares & rude in-laws & rude boss's. Just wanna say "See Me Now" in the next few months - huh?:heh:

My turn my turn!!!! Hi Yall! My name is Lauri (38yrs old) married to my DH of 2yrs. We are in Louisiana with our combined 5 kids....yes, i said 5! Not too bad though...they range from ages 19 to 5.

Was married to high school sweetheart for 12yrs but finally saw the light & left...Thats when i went from a size 18-20 to a size 6... I stayed that way for almost 4yrs...then i met my DH...after being together for 2yrs or so, i had pounded on a ton of weight..Then we got married and even more weight just appeared :confused:.

My DH is a Police Officer and Im a Police Dispatcher (thats how we met :smokin:). Back then i was a lovely size 8-10 and very happy in my skin.

So...thats why im here.. Banded on 11/16 and on the lapbandpath to better health and happiness

Hi all,

I am 48 years old. I was raised in Las Vegas (when it was a small town), moved to the east coast in my 20's, and have lived in Montana for 18 years.

I moved here to start an office of a consulting company with my sweetie in 1989. I am a geologist and project manager for an international engineering firm (Bandpal - I was supposed to work in Jordan last year, but sadly, that fell through. I was really excited about seeing the Middle East).

In my spare time I paint, sing, garden, raft, lift weights, and remodel houses (I am an HGTV addict). I've been married to my sweetie for 17 years, and we have four furry children - Dave, Tim, Chuck, and Bob. Amazingly, we still work together, too (and our 14-year old border collie, Dave, is the office mascot). We live in a 120-year old victorian in Montana's capitol. We are lucky enough to be able to walk to work.

I have always battled my weight (WW in 5th grade - when they made you eat LIVER once a week!!!, Atkins, shots of something mysterious, Jenny Craig, NutriSystems). Nothing worked in the long run. I finally just got tired of being limited by my weight. There are so many things I WANT to do that I can't anymore. Heck, I want to hike in our beautiful mountains and poop in the woods without falling over backwards!!!

My proudest accomplishment was finishing the Portland Marathon in 2005 at 250 pounds. I think my next proudest accomplishment will be dropping below 200!!! I can't wait!!!

I am so glad not to be doing this alone. What a great group of people.

Heck, I want to hike in our beautiful mountains and poop in the woods without falling over backwards!!!

OMGosh - ROFLMBO (rolling on floor laughing my but off) What a visual that provides!:biggrin1:

Welcome & glad you're here!

Hi, my name is Megan and I am 24 years old. I am in recovery from drugs and alcohol and have been clean for going on 6 years. Last year I decided it was time to work on the other problems I have, in a serious way, and I decided to get the lap-band surgery.

I have been in a relationship with my wonderful boyfriend (David) for 4 years and he is very helpful and supportive.

I had the surgery on 10/22/07 with no complications or problems. The only problem I did have was with the insurance company (surprise surprise) trying not to hold up their end of the bargain :) Luckily the company I work for is also wonderful and they have made sure that the insurance company doesn't screw me :)

I have lost 26 pounds and I go to the gym 3-4 days a week for 1 hr +. I am very happy that I had the surgery and look forward to the weight coming off and staying off!

Nice to meet you all. This website has been great for me. It's been rough waiting for my surgery date, and it does feel good to know I'm not going through it alone. There are so many things you wonder about and have questions about, and not just the procedure itself, but how it feels afterwards. I've not been the most patient person while waiting for my surgery!!!

My turn!! I've enjoyed reading all your bios.

My name is Lisa. I teach high school English. I am 41 and for the first time in 9 yrs I weigh under 250 lbs! I have been married for 17 yrs and we have 3 dd's. Alicia 14, Danielle 12, and Kelli 9. We live in Iowa. I was banded on Nov. 5th and have enjoyed a month of losing a lot of weight! I love to play volleyball and softball, although I have gotten a lot slower the last few years as my weight kept getting bigger and bigger. I was tired of being the biggest on my team, (women's and co-ed) so I was ready to do something permanent. DID NOT want bypass so I've found the lap-band and have been singing it's praises since!

I went to my first WW meeting with my mom when I was still in high school. I've always been able to lose weight, but always struggled to keep it off. Finally decided to be fat and happy until high blood pressure and diabetes started knocking on the door. I am a very competitive person so I will make this work.

When I lose 100lbs I told myself I'd get a tattoo. I've always thought of getting a fairy or butterfly, now I can get a nymph and have meaning behind it!

oh I love this thread. it is nice to meet all of you!

my name is Lindsay and I turned 25- 17 days before I was banded in Bloomington, Indiana. born and raised in Houston, Texas and moved to Bloomington 7 years ago for college. as of now I am a manager and bartender at the hottest sportsbar in all of Indiana.. so staying away from the fried bar food is going to be hard [ive been great so far].

I look foward to being encouraged and encourge my fellw 11/07 bandsters.

we can do it!

237/204/soontofindoutonthe11th/120

Ok my turn. My name is Cindy and I am married to wonderful DH for 17 years. We have 3 boys, Morgan (14), Sean (13) & Brandon (10). They keep me very busy as I homeschool them. Very challenging but rewarding to because I am learning everything I did not pay attentiont to in school. My boys are very active in baseball and so my life revolves around getting the to practices, games and training camps but I enjoy it.

My husband and I own a country store, Hollyberries Country Gifts, thus, my User Name. The store keeps us very busy especially right now. I had my surgery on 11/6/07 just when I started my Holiday Season. However, I wonderful girls who work for me that took care of the store for 2 weeks.

I am also probably the worlds biggest Patriots fan. So much so that when we opened the store 5 years ago we did not have Sunday hours because my motto is:

Faith

Family

Football

.....that order!

I hired a Sunday girl 2 years ago and we are now open. No way would we open the store during Football season. LOL

I am so glad that I decided to get the LapBand. It has been the best decision that I have made for myslef in a long time. God willing I will lose over 100lbs by this time next year.

It has been great getting to know you November Nymphs!