Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tropical smoothie sadness

I went to Tropical smoothie for lunch and had a smoothie for the first time since surgery. I drank not even 1/3rd of the Detox Island Green smoothie (5ish ounces). It has spinach, kale, ginger, banana, mango, and pineapple. In the entire 16oz it said it had 43g carbs, 29g sugar, and 180 calories and no sugar added (naturally sweetened) and I AM ACTIVELY DYING. lol. It was the only one on their menu I dared to try based on the nutrition label, expecting to drink half, but my pouch is NOT HAVING IT. I feel so mentally fuzzy and nauseous. Death becomes me. RIP. No more smoothies for me, ever, ever everrrrrr. I have gotten so used to throwing food away it's depressing. ;( I'll go out and try something new, wait about 20 minutes and then be like NOPE and have to toss it. I usually eat 50g of carbs a day, so 20 in one meal was a leap. I'm sure it was the fructose, though. Whaaaaaa.

That makes my stomach hurt just reading about it...even before surgery, I was unable to drink pineapple juice for many years. Maybe just a green smoothie next time.

smoothies and juices are just fast delivery systems for a heap of sugar. Drinking them is not healthy, they are no better than milkshakes. I would be to scared to try one as the pain and palpitations would be horrific

WAY TOO MUCH CARBS AND SUGAR....no matter where you go to buy it will have sugar that's why it's best to make your own.......

No more juice!!!! Eat the real food. Juices are just loaded with sugar and as a bypass patient, you just can't do that. That little bit of kale didn't off set all the fruit. A little fruit (berries) in a smoothie that YOU make is fine, because you will be adding a scoop of Protein Powder to slow down absorption. Like MIZ60, my tummy hurts just thinking of it.

No more juice!!!! Eat the real food. Juices are just loaded with sugar and as a bypass patient, you just can't do that. That little bit of kale didn't off set all the fruit. A little fruit (berries) in a smoothie that YOU make is fine, because you will be adding a scoop of Protein Powder to slow down absorption. Like MIZ60, my tummy hurts just thinking of it.

This is what I am doing... making green smoothies using Kale, Spinach, and mixed berries. Sometimes I use other mixed fruits. I add my Protein Shake to it if I want my protein... or Water when I don't. We need Protein first, then nutrients. I am doing a 2 in one most mornings. But I will not order them anywhere, they are always higher calories because they add more juices and or sugary fruits than I ever would at home. I am 7 weeks out and have been enjoying my smoothies for the past several days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

They don't use added sugar juices; they put in the actual fruit and blend it. And the carb/sugar count didn't seem very high. But I rarely ever eat fruit anyways so it's not even worth bothering. I know the WHOLE thing is a lot of carbs and sugar, but that's why I intended on drinking half over the course of 4 hours (the rest of the work day) and then toss the rest. (15g sugar, 20g carbs over 4 hours). No way would I have attempted to drink that whole thing! lol. But never agaaiiinnn. I need to work on Protein now anyways because of my upcoming surgery. Blech.

Edited by mousecat88

12 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

WAY TOO MUCH CARBS AND SUGAR....no matter where you go to buy it will have sugar that's why it's best to make your own.......

That's why I got the detox version. They do not add sugar at all (which was probably why it is bland af). They just use whole fruits and veggies and blend it. You can also request Splenda. But.... gross.

11 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Oh - I added a scoop of soy to it (as an optional addition). Did. Not. Help.