Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be successful?

I am 7 weeks away from my surgery and 5 months from my intro seminar. I am the same weight now as I was when I started. In the meantime, I have lost and regained the same 10 pounds twice now. I realize I am eating compulsively to deal with my anxiety about the surgery and other things. This week I am working on mindful eating and exercises for emotional eating. I’m getting awareness but have not been all that successful about stopping. My biggest fear is not about the surgery and recovery but I am terrified that I’ll keep eating sweets and go back to old/bad habits. I feel like I have been such a failure regarding weight loss and that I’ll be spending all this time, energy and money only to have it not be effective. I need to hear from those who felt their eating was out of control before surgery.

Edited by Libby63
Correction

2 hours ago, Libby63 said:

My biggest fear is not about the surgery and recovery but I am terrified that I’ll keep eating sweets and go back to old/bad habits. I feel like I have been such a failure regarding weight loss and that I’ll be spending all this time, energy and money only to have it not be effective. I need to hear from those who felt their eating was out of control before surgery.

One of the reasons I had surgery was my bad relationship with food. I had failed so many diet attempts in the past. Pre surgery, I questioned if bariatrics was too good to be true. Pre surgery anxiety is normal. Many of us felt this way.

Be honest with yourself about food addiction. Would you benefit from therapy pre/post-surgery?

One of the best gifts out of this process was overcoming my old behaviors. For me, this has not been like my diet attempts of the past. Logging my food, exercise, making healthy choices, buying groceries and cooking have become habit. Having the support on this site helped so much.

WIsh you the best,

Jennifer