Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VITAMINS HELP CHEWABLE

Hi there I'm just a little curious if people actually used chewables in the first weeks or months postop?

My dietitian has mentioned it as a good idea to use for the first month at least?

Also I've been told the most important Vitamins to take are calcium citrate and Vitamin D but also K2 may be good??

I know there are others like B12 but My surgeon said it can vary by person and on your post op blood work.

Currently my Vitamin levels are fine preop.

Would like first hand knowledge plz???

Why have you asked the same question twice?

Different forum different people

Generally it’s the same people. Posting the same thing in a couple of different forums doesn’t usually go down well

I'm sorry then if I annoyed anyone...

My program doesn't allow chewables except for Viactive Calcium.< /span> This is what I was told to take (and still do):
Morning:
• One A Day Women’s Vitamin
• Vitamin D 2,000
• Vitamin B12 500 mcg
• Vitron C Iron
Noon
• Viactive Calcium
With dinner
• Viactive Calcium
Evening
• Viactive Calcium

29 minutes ago, JessLess said:

My program doesn't allow chewables except for Viactive Calcium.< /span> This is what I was told to take (and still do):
Morning:
• One A Day Women’s Vitamin
Vitamin D 2,000
Vitamin B12 500 mcg
• Vitron C Iron
Noon
• Viactive Calcium
With dinner
• Viactive Calcium
Evening
• Viactive Calcium

that seems like a lot of calcium and vitamin D? Is it normal for your surgeon?

we were told to take a chewable Multivitamin early out. At some point I switched to regular multivitamin tablets - maybe at around six months out? (I can't remember when I switched).

and yes, we are required to take calcium citrate and Vitamin D. A deficiency of those can cause bone loss (well, you will have some bone loss regardless because your lighter body isn't going to need quite as heavy bones to hold it up - but I mean excessive bone loss). We were NOT required to take K2, but I take it because I have osteoporosis. Although the research isn't conclusive, there is some thought that K2 helps to get the Calcium where it's needed (i.e., bones) instead of having it accumulate in your arteries.

we are also required to take B12, but I've cut back because my levels got to over 2000 at one time.

make sure Viactive calcium is calcium citrate. I thought it was calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb well. You need citrate. If Viactive calcium IS calcium citrate, then sorry!

Edited to add that I just checked - Viactiv calcium is calcium carbonate. If you're an RNY patient, that isn't going to work for you. You need calcium citrate. You can get calcium citrate in chewable form, although you may have to order it online.

Edited by catwoman7

I am currently taking a melt-able/chew-able multi Vitamin, a chewy calcium citrate, and B12 under my tongue. I understood that it is easier to absorb and less irritating to take the chewables while healing. I need to start taking my Vit D again.

Mikey if they don’t want to c it don’t respond ask what u please

8 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

that seems like a lot of Calcium and Vitamin D? Is it normal for your surgeon?

Yes. The calcium is spread out like that because it's best absorbed 500 mg at a time. I eat a lot of dairy and probably don't really need it, but I am very interested in keeping my teeth. The D is because I live in the NE without that much sun. My levels are great, I could probably reduce (under supervision) if I wanted to.

@catwoman7 I have a sleeve. I will check with my doctor though, thanks!

Edited by JessLess

6 hours ago, JessLess said:

@catwoman7 I have a sleeve. I will check with my doctor though, thanks!

Calcium carbonate might be OK for sleeve people - I'm honestly not sure. But I know RNY people are supposed to take calcium citrate - I think because of low acid levels in our pouches. You guys may not have that issue.