Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inability to regulate temperature/Hot flashes?

OK ladies, some questions - may or may not be weight loss surgery related, but I figured there was a good group of ladies here who might have insight. I already have my yearly exam scheduled for later this month, but thought I'd see if anyone has any insight. And crowdsource questions I should ask my doc when I see her.

Background: I'm 11 months out from surgery today. I'm in my early 40s. I hadn't had my period in months before surgery (and for about 2 years, it was very inconsistent - sometimes 2 weeks apart, sometimes 3 months). After surgery, I got my period back with a vengeance, but it was still inconsistent, anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks apart. VERY heavy. I've had night sweats for years. Had my Vitamins checked a month ago and everything looked fine (except cholesterol - which is weirdly higher than before surgery). Had my thyroid checked around April, and it was fine (I do have a history of hypothyroid).

Current issue: About a month ago, I started getting what I think are hot flashes. But, really, I just am having a really hard time regulating my temperature. Sometimes I'm freezing cold, then I'll get astonishingly hot. Happens at least 5-10 times a day, and several times at night. Every day. Not at all connected to when/what I've eaten (and I got the sleeve, so the likelihood of it being dumping is fairly remote). Haven't had my period in 2 months, but, again, that's not super abnormal for me. But, last month when i was scheduled for my period, I did get my characteristic worsening of acne, just no actual period. From what I read, you can get hot flashes in perimenopause in your early 40s - but the literature says that they should be infrequent and typically right before your period when your hormones dip. That just isn't my experience - it is multiple times a day, every day. And I feel like I also get colder than most people. So, anyone have any advice on how to deal - or thoughts about what I need to discuss with my doc? Really appreciate it. Thanks!

My first thoughts are that this is hormonal. Probably not directly related to WLS, but remember that fat makes estrogen and as we lose fat there's a shift which can cause all sorts of irregularities. So, indirectly WLS may have contributed.

You mentioned your labs. Did you have hormonal testing? I think I'd probably go to my gyno and get my hormones checked. At the very least, it would give you peace of mind and at worst, maybe you need some hormone adjustment.

Thanks. I haven't had hormonal testing yet (I did a couple years ago when I didn't have my period for about 6 months, but it was fine). I'll ask my doc when I have my appointment at the end of the month.

I had my last period at age 47, and was in perimenopause for many years prior to that. When I had hot flashes they came about once an hour starting in my chest, up to my face, but whole body felt hot. It does sound like you're going thru something hormonal, and should get some bloodwork done. Weight loss definitely adds to the fluctuations in hormones, as they're released from the fat cells.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app