Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please... is this normal?

I am 6 weeks or so post op and had 1 fill (5cc in a 10cc band) and I feel like I can anything and everything. Today I had a bowl of Cereal for Breakfast, a full chicken fajita for lunch and tonight a large peice of low fat lasagna and salad. The odd thing gets stuck if I do not chew but other than that I see ZERO difference. I have to struggle all day not to snack. I am having more than a cup of food per meal and it scares me as I should not be eating that much. I am losing weight but I excercise hard an hour a day. I want to have that little plate with the tablespoon of potatoes and a few bites of meat but that is just not enough...is this normal to still feel??

YES! It's normal. Not everyone feels restriction after their first fill. It could take you a couple more fills even! How long has it been since your fill? Maybe it just hasn't kicked in, OR maybe you'll just have to wait til you're allowed to go back, and get another small one. Trust me, go in as small of increments as they'll let you... you wanna sneak up on that sweet spot, don't rush it... it'll happen!

Keep up the good work.

p.s. think of that chicken fajita blender in a blender, I bet it wasn't more than a cup of food! And... well... cereal, unless it was dry... should technically slide right through, cause it's mush. The lasagna... I dunno. You're FINE! :)

Thank you so much! You have made me feel better.... I just hate it! Especially when those around me who know I am banded keep saying "wow, I did not think you would be able to eat that much".... I want to scream!!

Thank you so much! You have made me feel better.... I just hate it! Especially when those around me who know I am banded keep saying "wow, I did not think you would be able to eat that much".... I want to scream!!

That sounds like the worst part right there. Remember that getting to you ideal fill amount can take time, and it is not an instant thing.

You will get there. Also, as you get more "experienced" with your band you will know when you have eaten enough food, not just by measuring.

Tell those people who are making the comments that you are still eating less than you were before (and likely less than what they are) and that what you eat is between you and your surgeon.

Andrew

Yes, take your time on your fills, getting VERY small amounts until your comfort zone. Some days my band feels tighter than other days. Also, after a year, I had the doctor remove all of the Fluid, and put back in the same amount--he called it "recalibration". My band felt different, but no Fluid was added.

Beki

I know what you mean. When I was first banded everyone who knew had comments, suggestions, advice and direction for me. I'm sure they were just trying to help but it frustrated me. Comments like, "I can't believe you're not losing more weight, maybe this band thing isn't working". Errrrrrrrrr, how irritating, not to mention insensitive. However, the good news is... it does work, it is just different for each person.

It took me about four months to get to a fill level where I honestly felt a difference in my saiety and the quantity of food I could consume. Weight loss has been slow and steady but it is happening. So don't worry. Try your hardest to make good food choices and listen to your body for ANY subtle changes. It sounds like you're exercising which is a very important lifestyle shift so keep up the good work!

Patience wins the race ;)

Hi all,

Prior to having my band I did not tell anyone I was having surgery. I did not even tell my siblings or parents. Only my husband and 2 kids knew. I needed to tell my carpool since she has helped me with switching and taking care of my younger son until the older one got home from school to babysit. (I think I love her) and one other friend who I know will never tell anyone (my support system).

I told those who needed to know I was having surgery that I had a hiatus hernia repaired and was embarrased to tell anyone (the reason for my secrecy). The hernia surgery turned out to be true since I had a hiatus hernia repaired.

The weight loss is pretty slow and gradual and can be explained with diet and exercise. I guess they will all be shocked that I am finally succeeding.

I am so glad I didn't blab. I don't think I could stand having every mouthful watched and commented on. However,I know it would have provided great gossip (I think most people would have seen it as that and not a life saving procedure).

I know I can guide those seeking help in loosing towards the band without necessarily telling them about mine.

My first fill, was without flouro, my doctor missed my port, but it does take a few fills to realize you've had a fill. Keep in mind everyone's comfort zone is not the same. I've been banded three years and I'm 2.2 in a 4 cc band, haven't had a fill in almost a year.

Just remember to eat your Protein first.