Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Accepted into the bariatric program... Again.

I started the bariatric program a year and a half ago, and bailed out at the time for a handful of reasons (excuses.) Recently I decided that if I keep waiting for the right time to do this, it will never come, and I took the leap and asked to join the bariatric program again.

They called me yesterday and scheduled my nutrition class, and my support group meetings. I already did the orientation, So I don't have to take that again. I'm nervous. Not necessarily for the surgery itself, but the possibility of regain, cosmic life changes, and how it will change the way I live life daily. What is/was everyone's fears prior to surgery? If you've had the surgery, how did you handle the struggles and fears?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was afraid I was going to die on the operating table, even though I knew there was a 99.7% chance I would pull through just fine. Other than that, I don't really remember any true fears. I was worried about not being able to take NSAIDs afterward because I used to get headaches all the time, but oddly, I rarely get them anymore - and Tylenol will usually knock them out.

Good luck on your WLS journey. I don't remember having any fears.

6 hours ago, deewill3 said:

I started the bariatric program a year and a half ago, and bailed out at the time for a handful of reasons (excuses.) Recently I decided that if I keep waiting for the right time to do this, it will never come, and I took the leap and asked to join the bariatric program again.

They called me yesterday and scheduled my nutrition class, and my support group meetings. I already did the orientation, So I don't have to take that again. I'm nervous. Not necessarily for the surgery itself, but the possibility of regain, cosmic life changes, and how it will change the way I live life daily. What is/was everyone's fears prior to surgery? If you've had the surgery, how did you handle the struggles and fears?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

This whole forum is dedicated to people handling their fears and struggles. Take some time to browse a bit and you will find a ton of information and insight. There are several threads about pre-op fears. So glad you are deciding to go ahead now with this amazing tool that will change your life - yes changes in your daily life forever. Read some threads and see what everyone is saying about the very questions you are asking. :)

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I was afraid I was going to die on the operating table, even though I knew there was a 99.7% chance I would pull through just fine. Other than that, I don't really remember any true fears. I was worried about not being able to take NSAIDs afterward because I used to get headaches all the time, but oddly, I rarely get them anymore - and Tylenol will usually knock them out.

This was exactly my fear. Saying goodbye to my daughter before surgery was so heart wrenching. My health was so bad I thought I wouldn't survive. My Dr assured me and before I knew it I was in recovery.

OP will do great And you won't regret it! Best wishes!

All I can think about is the future possibilities 😀

On 09/15/2019 at 5:40 AM ,AZhiker said:

This whole forum is dedicated to people handling their fears and struggles. Take some time to browse a bit and you will find a ton of information and insight. There are several threads about pre-op fears. So glad you are deciding to go ahead now with this amazing tool that will change your life - yes changes in your daily life forever. Read some threads and see what everyone is saying about the very questions you are asking. :)

I think of
Possibility leads I searching leads to acceptance leads to further motivation and commitment leads after a stated period and hard work leads to probabilities leads to a surgery and Finally success. Not always as fast as you thought it WOULD be, not as easy as You Thought it could be but Wonderfully Life- Changing and Worth It All! And we will be watching and cheering and smilng as It all happens for You Too.

I think I had a lot of the fears that someone with anxiety would have.

What if I fail?

What if people know I got the surgery and judge me, especially my relatives?

What if I gain the weight back like I have every other diet I've been on?

What if I get some serious medical problem?

What if my CEO finds out and is mad I did this on his health insurance?

How am I supposed to do the laundry if I can't lift more than 15 lbs.?

I'm 10 months out and so far, none of these things have happened, knock on wood.

7 hours ago, JessLess said:

I think I had a lot of the fears that someone with anxiety would have.

What if I fail?

What if people know I got the surgery and judge me, especially my relatives?

What if I gain the weight back like I have every other diet I've been on?

What if I get some serious medical problem?

What if my CEO finds out and is mad I did this on his health insurance?

How am I supposed to do the laundry if I can't lift more than 15 lbs.?

I'm 10 months out and so far, none of these things have happened, knock on wood.

Well number 1) that is what health insurance is for and CEO or not, they can not tell you how to use your insurance.

Sorry that was the one that stuck out from your list. Hope you are feeling well.

1 hour ago, AggiG said:

Well number 1) that is what health insurance is for and CEO or not, they can not tell you how to use your insurance.

Sorry that was the one that stuck out from your list. Hope you are feeling well.

Hi @AggiG,

I had my surgery almost a year ago so I was talking about what I was worried about before I had it.

I also have a law degree. People do illegal things in the workplace on a regular basis. When you work for a small, privately held company, you want to keep the CEO on your good side. Many people view WLS as cosmetic surgery and I didn't want to know what he thought about it. I've kept it a secret from my coworkers, happily.

I feel great, so thanks!