Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me something good :)

So I went to my first appointment with my surgeon on the 10th of this month and it went very well, I am on my way!

I was all set on a sleeve, but he is saying I should get a bypass. He said type 2 diabetics are more successful in getting off meds with the bypass. He also said I should do a bypass because I have 180lbs to lose (it's hard to admit to that!)

I had decided on a sleeve because of absorption issues--I take a ton of supplements I want to continue to absorb. And because it seems less invasive. To me the bypass looks scary! That may be silly, I'm sure it is silly, but I'm posting in the hopes that people can tell me good things about the bypass that make it less scary to me.

Please tell me about your successes and why I shouldn't fear a bypass. I want to do what's best for me, and I don't want to insist on a sleeve if it's isn't the best thing.

Thanks!

I never thought getting 80% of your stomach removed and thrown in the trash any less invasive, although many people seem to think that. As for the bypass, it's been done for years and years and they have lots of longitudinal data on it. Techniques have improved substantially over the years to get around some of the issues they used to have. There are more complication risks than with the sleeve - but not by much. And as with the sleeve, most are minor. Other than a stricture, which happens to about 5% of bypass patients (making it one of the most common complications, I might add - although I'm not sure I'd consider something that happened to 5% of people "common"), I've never had any problems. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

And yes, type 2 diabetics tend to fare better with it. As for substantial weight loss, there are people who have had enormous success with both surgeries - but you get a bit more of a tail wind with the bypass due to the malabsorption the first 1-2 years (malabsorption of calories eventually stops - but malabsorption of Vitamins does not - you have to supplement for the rest of your life. Of course, they're now requiring that of sleeve patients, too)

I had GERD pre-surgery so it was a no brainer for me. But I would have leaned toward the bypass regardless because it's been around longer. At the time I had surgery, VSG was just becoming popular, and I had a fear of it being "Lapband II". It's proven itself since then (as in, it's not "Lapband II"), but I still have no regrets that I went with the bypass.

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I never thought getting 80% of your stomach removed and thrown in the trash any less invasive, although many people seem to think that. As for the bypass, it's been done for years and years and they have lots of longitudinal data on it. Techniques have improved substantially over the years to get around some of the issues they used to have. There are more complication risks than with the sleeve - but not by much. And as with the sleeve, most are minor. Other than a stricture, which happens to about 5% of bypass patients (making it one of the most common complications, I might add - although I'm not sure I'd consider something that happened to 5% of people "common"), I've never had any problems. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

And yes, type 2 diabetics tend to fare better with it. As for substantial weight loss, there are people who have had enormous success with both surgeries - but you get a bit more of a tail wind with the bypass due to the malabsorption the first 1-2 years (malabsorption of calories eventually stops - but malabsorption of Vitamins does not - you have to supplement for the rest of your life. Of course, they're now requiring that of sleeve patients, too)

I had GERD pre-surgery so it was a no brainer for me. But I would have leaned toward the bypass regardless because it's been around longer. At the time I had surgery, VSG was just becoming popular, and I had a fear of it being "Lapband II". It's proven itself since then (as in, it's not "Lapband II"), but I still have no regrets that I went with the bypass.

What she said. I certainly didn’t find the thought of having my intestines rerouted more scary than having them chopped off and thrown in the trash.

Yeah I feel the same way, and with my troubled road, I still am grateful for all my RNY did for ME. Half as small and Twice as Happy than I ever was OBESE- and I Was a Pretty Big Girl once!

I've had both. The sleeve didn't work out for me for various reasons, so went to RNY. I didn't do RNY initially because I thought it was so 'final'. It's not... I can still eat foods I like, but for ME the difference between sleeve and RNY is huge. I woke up from my sleeve surgery hungry and it didn't go away. RNY took my hunger away.

My bypass was the best choice I ever made...128 lbs in 14 months. I’m happy and healthy.

13 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I never thought getting 80% of your stomach removed and thrown in the trash any less invasive, although many people seem to think that.

I never looked at it that way, but I guess you are right!

Other than a stricture, which happens to about 5% of bypass patients (making it one of the most common complications, I might add - although I'm not sure I'd consider something that happened to 5% of people "common"), I've never had any problems. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Good to know you would do it again. I also didn't know the bypass surgery had been around so long.

13 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Well I certainly don't mind supplementing, I do that now anyway. I just hope I can continue to take all the extra pills I take now, which is about 10 and climbing.

Thanks for this, great information. It helps!

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

Yeah I feel the same way, and with my troubled road, I still am grateful for all my RNY did for ME. Half as small and Twice as Happy than I ever was OBESE- and I Was a Pretty Big Girl once!

Hi! I'm the same height as you and about the same weight so your weight loss numbers look very promising to me!! I can't wait to be half as small and twice as happy--thanks for sharing your success and congrats on your new life!

Just a plug for the sleeve and Type 2 Diabetes. Within 1 month of surgery, my A1C went from 8.5 (diabetic) to 5.2 (not even close to pre). I had lost 25 lbs. So it doesn't have to be the bypass. I only have a little under 100 lbs to lose, so the fact that you have 180 lbs to lose I might lean towards the bypass, but I think both will work for you. And I'm with you, I found the sleeve much less invasive, even WITH them getting rid of 85% of my stomach. Just food for thought.

2 hours ago, NYJenn said:

My bypass was the best choice I ever made...128 lbs in 14 months. I’m happy and healthy.

That is what I long to be...get my health back and be a happy person. I have to go to the grocery store in a few minutes and I dread it because I know I will get tired just walking around there. I want my health back and I hope the bypass can do it like the surgeon says!

Just a plug for the sleeve and Type 2 Diabetes. Within 1 month of surgery, my A1C went from 8.5 (diabetic) to 5.2 (not even close to pre). I had lost 25 lbs. So it doesn't have to be the bypass. I only have a little under 100 lbs to lose, so the fact that you have 180 lbs to lose I might lean towards the bypass, but I think both will work for you. And I'm with you, I found the sleeve much less invasive, even WITH them getting rid of 85% of my stomach. Just food for thought.
RIGHT!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm still pre-surgery...hopefully will have a date in october......I've went back and forth too and for the most part was Pro-sleeve. seemed easier, less complications. sure there was the increased acid relux but I've never had that so not a risk for me. But for me, someone who is overweight not from overeating but from pcos and other things, somone who diets and can't lose a pound, i needed the true metabolic change that the bypass brings. Also....in the pre op stuff they did discover i had acid reflux, although it never presented itself to me. additionally, my bmi is 50...so I want the proven long term results that the bypass brings. If you know of anyone or follow these boards, for some reason many people gettting the sleeve gain the weight back or have to have a revision. Not everyone, mind you..but a lot.

My pre-op psychologist said it best. Whatever surgery you decide on, you have to believe it's the one for you or it won't work. Dont' get the sleeve with any doubts in your mind. Don't get the bypass with any doubts in your mind.

🙂 Good luck!!!

Edited by Panda333
typo

Yeah Panda I started OSU with a 50+ BMI, nice weight for a nice thick Redwood tree but a mite heavy for an Obese Woman. And my half- off, I started at 365+ , just weighed myself this AM, after eons of wanting to chuck weight scales out the nearest window or in a Dumpster, actually did the latter once, one of those sarcastic electronic voices " Do You Realize Your Weight Today is...? Yep, smart-Aleck scale, marched out to the Dumpster and threw it as hard as I could to the rear- that way it would LIE NO MORE!
Well my current one, weighs you , then sends an elecronic gentle zap up through your bare feet, never felt a thing, then It calcuates BMI, % fat, % Water, and how many calories to maintain, that one I don't pay attention to because I am still in Losing Mode. But it is digital instead of a dial whirring and speaking out loud.
And I weigh this morning 181,7 pounds of Happy Happy Camper so over 180 less! And I am going to do my durnest to make it down to 175, loss is slowing BUT not stopped yet! Go over to the NSV thread current and see what else I am boasting about.😜And a Peaceful Sunday to All!

I’ve had both too. Sleeve didn’t give me the weight loss or restriction I needed to be successful, and by the time I needed GBS because of GERD, I was a diabetic! Sleeve did not resolve my GERD, even with hiatal hernia repair. So GBS was a Godsend, as I’m now off Metformen, my blood sugars are normal, I’m down 37 lbs and it feels great! I’m losing slower than some because of my history of PCOS, but I saw my surgeon Monday for follow up and he said I was absolutely fine, slower was actually better in the long run and to just keep at it, eye on the horizon and my body would keep letting go of the excess weight. Probably not in a straight line down like a slicky-slide, more like a staircase, with stalls, etc., but it was all normal. I was afraid of the more drastic surgery too, but it’s been fine. 😉I’m so glad I finally got GBS!