Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month checkup gains!

I’m 5 months and 17 days from my gastric bypass surgery and I had my 6 month appointment. I am down 82 lbs!!!! I am now under 200lbs! I started at a size 22/2xl or 3xl; I can fit into a size 16 pants and a large shirt now!

the last time I was under 200lbs, I felt like I was starving myself and it made me miserable. The last time I lost this much weight was when I had an eating disorder. This surgery is One of the greatest things to happen to me! For folks feeling discouraged or worried, these things pass. My 8yr old son is roughly 70 lbs and I cannot believe I was carrying that around on my bones, joints, feet, etc.,! I’m so grateful that my body is forgiving me for all the food abuse. Here are some thing you may be asking (o just things I felt may be helpful/encouraging):

Do I go out to eat? Yes. Sometimes I have just a few bites and take the rest home. My leftover meals can last me 3 days sometimes. I plan ahead too; it’s trickier to spontaneously go out for a meal. I also try not to waste money. I know what I can or can’t eat and how much. I now find myself eying a plate of food I made and putting some back because I KNOW I can’t eat that much. I eat at home more, which is saving $ *yay*

Do I go to social events? Yes. I make sure I have Water in my hand at all times and chew, anything that I do eat, thoroughly!

Do I feel out of place when I’m out with people who are eating and I say “no, thank you”? Nope. My friends and family know I’m trying to lose weight for my health. They don’t know that I had this surgery. My father, who has type 1 diabetes, has actually started to lose weight too (I’m not going to burst his bubble by telling him I have a tool to help me!). I have never had someone get upset or make me feel guilty about not participating in food. I think if I did, I would be more inclined to DEcline even harder because, no one is going to mess up my progress, no one!

Do I feel guilty when people don’t know I had surgery and gush about my weight loss? Yeah, I do. I don’t like my weight being a focus, it doesn’t define me. People ask me “what have you been doing?!” But, I’m honest about what I’m doing. Protein, Vitamins, water, low carbs, no sugars. I think I feel guilty because I see others struggle with weight and I know their pain, and I have a tool that has helped me tremendously. I have told some people who are in a similar situation that I was in, they can decide what to do with the information, just like I did.

Buffets? Yup. I don’t get my $ worth, but I’m not going to have my life choices change my social habits. I exert self control, which is incredibly empowering now that I actually HAVE self control!

clothing? I actually never threw out my “skinny” clothes because I wanted them to fit again. I’m almost there and filling in the gap with leggings. My bras don’t fit and are mostly air (my boobs are just nonexistent lol!) so I do need to get some new ones. I wasn’t large chested to start, so I have my down moments about that loss

do you miss the foods you can’t eat? No, not really. I thought I would, but if it gave me dumping syndrome, I don’t desire it. My favorite snack was from Target; caramel cashew trail mix! Oh man! I went to target and got them, and felt so sick After eating them. My fiancé called me to say he picked some up (trying to be sweet) and I genuinely said “ya know? That’s ok, it’s better if it’s not in the house”. I don’t want to have a moment of weakness and feel sick, which is empowering

the best part is that I know I am the one doing this. No one but me is exercising, no one but me is making me eat healthier, no one but me is track my food intake, no one but me is making sure I’m taking my vitamins. It was such a great feeling to see my doctors so happy with my successes so far. My PCP was thrilled (he is the one who helped me start this journey after my previous PCPs wouldn’t even discuss weight loss surgery) and my bariatric doctor asked me to share what I’ve been doing so others can follow or be encouraged.

Share your successes! What are some of the things you do with success that someone may be struggling with? What keeps you on track? Where did you struggle, and how did you handle it?

👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑

1 hour ago, ZGal said:

I’m 5 months and 17 days from my gastric bypass surgery and I had my 6 month appointment. I am down 82 lbs!!!! I am now under 200lbs! I started at a size 22/2xl or 3xl; I can fit into a size 16 pants and a large shirt now!

okurrr.png.e60b59fd26596a3cc5087c262979a2f0.png

the last time I was under 200lbs, I felt like I was starving myself and it made me miserable. The last time I lost this much weight was when I had an eating disorder. This surgery is One of the greatest things to happen to me! For folks feeling discouraged or worried, these things pass. My 8yr old son is roughly 70 lbs and I cannot believe I was carrying that around on my bones, joints, feet, etc.,! I’m so grateful that my body is forgiving me for all the food abuse. Here are some thing you may be asking (o just things I felt may be helpful/encouraging):
Do I go out to eat? Yes. Sometimes I have just a few bites and take the rest home. My leftover meals can last me 3 days sometimes. I plan ahead too; it’s trickier to spontaneously go out for a meal. I also try not to waste money. I know what I can or can’t eat and how much. I now find myself eying a plate of food I made and putting some back because I KNOW I can’t eat that much. I eat at home more, which is saving $ *yay*
Do I go to social events? Yes. I make sure I have Water in my hand at all times and chew, anything that I do eat, thoroughly!
Do I feel out of place when I’m out with people who are eating and I say “no, thank you”? Nope. My friends and family know I’m trying to lose weight for my health. They don’t know that I had this surgery. My father, who has type 1 diabetes, has actually started to lose weight too (I’m not going to burst his bubble by telling him I have a tool to help me!). I have never had someone get upset or make me feel guilty about not participating in food. I think if I did, I would be more inclined to DEcline even harder because, no one is going to mess up my progress, no one!
Do I feel guilty when people don’t know I had surgery and gush about my weight loss? Yeah, I do. I don’t like my weight being a focus, it doesn’t define me. People ask me “what have you been doing?!” But, I’m honest about what I’m doing. Protein, Vitamins, Water, low carbs, no sugars. I think I feel guilty because I see others struggle with weight and I know their pain, and I have a tool that has helped me tremendously. I have told some people who are in a similar situation that I was in, they can decide what to do with the information, just like I did.
Buffets? Yup. I don’t get my $ worth, but I’m not going to have my life choices change my social habits. I exert self control, which is incredibly empowering now that I actually HAVE self control!
clothing? I actually never threw out my “skinny” clothes because I wanted them to fit again. I’m almost there and filling in the gap with leggings. My bras don’t fit and are mostly air (my boobs are just nonexistent lol!) so I do need to get some new ones. I wasn’t large chested to start, so I have my down moments about that loss
do you miss the foods you can’t eat? No, not really. I thought I would, but if it gave me dumping syndrome, I don’t desire it. My favorite snack was from Target; caramel cashew trail mix! Oh man! I went to target and got them, and felt so sick After eating them. My fiancé called me to say he picked some up (trying to be sweet) and I genuinely said “ya know? That’s ok, it’s better if it’s not in the house”. I don’t want to have a moment of weakness and feel sick, which is empowering
the best part is that I know I am the one doing this. No one but me is exercising, no one but me is making me eat healthier, no one but me is track my food intake, no one but me is making sure I’m taking my Vitamins. It was such a great feeling to see my doctors so happy with my successes so far. My PCP was thrilled (he is the one who helped me start this journey after my previous PCPs wouldn’t even discuss weight loss surgery) and my bariatric doctor asked me to share what I’ve been doing so others can follow or be encouraged.
Share your successes! What are some of the things you do with success that someone may be struggling with? What keeps you on track? Where did you struggle, and how did you handle it?

[emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126][emoji126]
Congratulations!!!!! Very much needed motivating post at exactly 1 week post OP [emoji169][emoji169][emoji169][emoji169]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Great post. Way to go!

3 hours ago, Deedee12 said:

Congratulations!!!!! Very much needed motivating post at exactly 1 week post OP

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m so glad to hear that! This is why I posted it :) keep going strong!

I never threw out my skinny clothes either! Cant wait to wear them again! Congratulations on your loss, you are doing fantastic!

On 8/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, Lynda486 said:

I never threw out my skinny clothes either! Cant wait to wear them again! Congratulations on your loss, you are doing fantastic!

Thank you! Best of luck to you too!

Thank-you!