Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Migraines anyone????

Hi everyone! I was banded 2 12 weeks ago... and have been having headaches so bad that I can't pick my head up off my pillow and feel like dracula in the light! I dragged myself to the computer hoping that someone can tell me that they went through this too. Last week I had 3 days of headaches and then again yesterday and today. I am litterally squinting my eyes! I tried chugging my daughters liquid tylonal, but it is so sweet it makes me want to throw up.... so I am scared to try that again! Anyone know any natural headache releif??? I am desperate!

Thanks!

Becca

You poor thing! Are you prone to Migraines? Have you tried a cup of hot tea w/honey and lemon? Do you feel like you could stand up in a hot shower? Sometimes the steam and pulsing, massaging feel of the Water helps. Please don't soak in a tub because of your incisions and risk of infection. Are you eating or drinking anything that you could be having an allergic reaction to? (ex. dairy products?) Does a heating pad help? A nice smelling candle? Rubbing some good smelling hand lotion on your hands? Good smells seem to help me sometimes. (((Hugs))) Hope this passes soon!

I've heard some say that if they drank something with sugar, such as fruit juice this helps, also, you may be needing Protein. More than that, are you getting enough liquids at all? Dehydration will cause severe headaches as well. I hope you get it sorted out soon!

Would you happen to have a sinus infection? Sometimes, those can be nasty, and if you're having any mucus draining down in your stomach, that could be the reason why the Tylenol is making you sick.

I hope you feel better. Put a heating pad on the area where it hurts. I had one of my co workers do this not too long ago, and she said it was the only relief she had had in days. Later on that week, she went to the doctors and found out she had a sinus infection.

Becca,

I've gotten terrible Migraines for years and I have finally gotten to the point that I can recognize the triggers-smells, low blood sugar, certain kinds of lighting. I would say that if simple things like a soothing bath or eating a little sugar or Protein does not help then you should definately see a Dr. I have had them so bad that I've had to spend the day in bed with the lights out and have thrown up and been miserable. Fortunately, my Dr. has prescribed a med that is easy to take, just goes under the tongue and disolves and takes it away almost immediately. Zomig. Works like a charm.

Is it caffiene withdrawal? Did you drink lots of soda or coffee or tea before the surgery and now have stopped?

I have heard a lot about that happening to people. I had a caffiene headache once and thought I was having a stroke.

I do get Migraines - they are usually always on one side of your head and you are very light/sound sensitive. Some people also get nauseated.

Honest, sounds like caffiene withdrawal.

Try a cup of herbal tea WITH caffiene and see if it helps.

Also, having someone rub your temples and or the base of your skull in the back (at the very top of your neck) can help.

Dehydration can also cause severe headaches..I know this very well from my son when going through his treatments. Whenever he tells me he has a headache I make him drink lots of Water in a short period of time

Since you are newly banded are you drinking enough? I know it was hard for me to get all of my fluids in the first 2 weeks post op and experienced headaches.

A nice strong cup of black coffee can sometimes do the trick for migranes too..Caffeine takes away headaches that is why Excedrin works so well for so many, it is loaded with Caffeine..

Your headaches can also be your body adjusting to the lack of food and calories ..Good Luck, hope you get relief soon :cool:

Caffeine deprivation causes my worst headaches. I tried giving it up once and had a headache that lasted three days. Not just a normal headache, a debilitating pounding, much like the description of a Migraine. The only thing worse is the sleep apnea headache.

I've known people who got bad headaches from hunger, and from Constipation as well. Good luck!

I used to have chronic Migraines for many years (they're gone now) but the only over-the-counter medicine that helped me was excedrin. Crunch up two of them and drink some hot tea or soak in the warm bath. It always gave me at least some - if not

total relief. I hope you feel better.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! I ended up going to urgent care on Weds. night. I have always had a low bp 117/70 and a great heart rate. I even got a compliment from the cardiologist before my surgery about having an athletic heart! Ironic as that is! Anyway... one of my friends is a neonatal nurse and she said that I was acting pre-eclamtic if I were pregnant so she suggested getting my bp checked. So I went to one of the grocery store testers and it came out at 149/87! Which is super high for me! So I immediately went to urgent care and they ran some tested ( blood sugar, bp etc..) At this time 45 min later they got 128/74 for my bp and explained that sometimes the grocery store bp machines are not regulated and can be false... so I was relieved and the dr. then explained that if I was in a lot of pain from my headache that it could raise my bp. To make a long story shorter he decided that I was in fact having a severe Migraine and sent me home with imitrex and ultram. So I have basically been in bed in the dark since then. It is a catch 22, the medicine made the headache better, but made me sooo dizzy and a little nauseas. The good thing is that I never threw up but I also didn,t feel like eating! I drank as much hot tea and Water as possible though. But today I feel better and I am starving! I did manage to lose a little more weight (yeaaaa). Thanks again everyone!

hi,becca

congradulation, on your band, the group is right, your,have to check and see your doctor, and let him go thur a group of medicines that are for Migraines, they do have them but, you must insists on it, there's frova, which is fairly new, imitrex,which is shown on tv. i've tried these two and they have help me so much, they have tablets and also , one that melts in your mouth, don't suffer with these migraines, they take half of your life away, is like living in a fish bowl, watching every one live, while you hide, in your little fish home, afraid to do anything cause, any thing will bring on a Migraine, theirs foods , you have to watch our for, and sleep to much, to little, and smells, any kind, that trigers off a headach, noises, light, walking to fast, stress, and worse, it takes you away from your family, the ones you want to be close to the most... now that you have the band, you have a new chance to fight , this pain with a different, weapon... and that is determination as you lose weight , you want to go out more and see more things, and be more with the family, cause, you are starting to feel better about yourself, and that will push you to want to get better, and feel like a whole new person. So go for it,, and soon you'll live in a different world without and see it without , pain.....

margie,

-----------------------------------------------------------

margie

4/5/04

295/260.8/140gol

montifiore hospt.

bx. ny

dr.texiriera

I also have really bad Migraine headaches, and when I got pregnant with my daughter they started coming daily. Since I was pregant my doc forbade me to take my perscription drugs. Even though you shouldn't take too much cafiene when u r pregers, he suggested excerdrin migraine. I know how terrible these headaches are and had no faith that an over the counter could touch it, but to my supprise it really did work. I took one everyday instead of the suggested two, and those little pills saved my life. Of course you should talk to your doc first and make sure this is okay to take.