Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on Sunday. I just got home today. My doctor sent me home with some prescriptions. They are mostly liquid but one of them is a capsule and one is a tablet. I started taking them today as per instructions. I'm just nervous because of some to the posts I've read on here about not taking capsules/tablets right away after sleeve surgery. Did any of you take capsules or tablets right away after your surgery? When were you cleared to start taking medication in tablet or capsule form? Shouid I just follow my doctor's instructions? Help! I don't want to cause any damage to my new stomach.

Another thought I had was to crush the tablet and open the capsule and put them with applesauce. Which is worse?, taking the pills or eating the applesauce?

I actually just picked up my medications for surgery next week and called my surgery nurse to make sure it was correct since one is a capsule and one is a small tablet. She said we can take pills if they are as small as a pens cap and then the capsule she said to open and put on applesauce or something. The bottles didn’t say that though. So if you have questions on it I would call your nurse or surgeon.

Have you talked to your doctor about crushing the pill or opening the capsule? I certainly would. It can greatly change the effectiveness or the meds. Tell him your concerns and see what he wants you to do.

I was told to crush my pills for one month. However, at my 2 week follow up my PA told me I could start taking pills. I've had no problems. I have been on this site continuously for the past year and have seen people that are instructed to take pills immediately. If it makes you feel better you could crush them. Just be sure to check with the pharmacist, some shouldn't be crushed.

Good luck!

I was instructed to open the capsules and mix with Water and crush anything else and mix with water for the first month. I had chewable vitamins and Calcium. Most of the meds they prescribed were liquid except Eliquis that I crushed for 2 weeks and something (can't remember what it was) that came in a capsule.

I took all of my pill medication the day after surgery and had no issues. (Did not crush or open)

I was able to swallow all pills right away except for two (both were too big): ursodiol and those big Calcium horse pills. The PA at my weight clinic just told me to wait two or three weeks on the ursodiol, so I did. For calcium, I just did chewables at first. So I never had to deal with crushed pills after I left the hospital (thank God!)

1 hour ago, J@Alabama said:

I took all of my pill medication the day after surgery and had no issues. (Did not crush or open)

Same here. The only thing I did was cut the bigger ones in half. Ive never had any problems taking meds though.

I didn't take my normal medication right away...but I had no problem with the stuff the doctor gave me. I was taking 4 pills a day. 2 were small, the others were good size. The only problem was getting enough Water to swallow them. But, I think it depends on what they give you. Some drugs won't work if you crush them up.

One of our former bari- pals used to stir her crushed/ op3med up capsules into a spoonful of sugar free Cool Whip, might be worth a Try!

I took all my pills by swallowing them starting the day I got home from the hospital post-op. I haven't had any trouble.

My surgeon gave permission for me to take pills/capsules whole from day one. No problems here.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I feel much better about taking my prescribed medication. I love this forum!

I was given pills in the hospital whole. No problems an take pills daily. Just don’t take a bunch at once.